Hey Marshall Listen Up

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by ken361, Feb 16, 2018.

1. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

How about spend a little more time on building amps like the DSL which I like very much and i'm glad the power tubes are chassis mounted! im already seeing disappointed customers on the new build. Spend more time wiring the chassis mounted tubes like the 800 series ect. People respect the quality going into them and less problems and breakdowns!
    Edit: I see they designed it in a different way looks promising:)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Well-Known Member

Now I'm perplexed. I just traded my 40C, for the 40CR. Did a side by side, and everything. The CR sounds a lot better. A lot more versatile, and usable range.

Torn now. Do I take it back, get my old one, throw the V30 back in?

3. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

whats your bias set on the old one it makes a good difference

4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

All due respect, but if you want the same quality in a DSL that goes into a JCM800, you're going to be spending much more for a DSL. A DSL is intended to be a low cost amp, there are going to be trade offs.

JAC, jeffb, aryasridhar and 4 others like this.
  5. GibsonKramer

Biased it last night, at 36.

The new one was already biased at 35, though I evened it out a bit.

Even with the V30, the old DSL does not sound as good, as the new one. I just finished playing the new one, with a brand new "V-type" speaker, and was playing it dime'd. You could never do that with the old one. At least I couldn't stand it.

Playing it with everything set at noon, doesn't sound bad, either. Treble is a useful EQ setting now. It's a lot fuller sounding. The OD2 channel, sounds pretty darn close to a JVM now.

I haven't put my Marshall V30 in it, yet... And I may not, just because the China V-Type sounds really good. And its brand new. Has maybe 30 minutes on it.

6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

That sounds like a winner. Why would you want to return it??

GibsonKramer likes this.
  7. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

set it to 32, 36 is still a bit hot sounding on the red I had a few people loving it a lot better now

8. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

My tech recommended 30 to 32, 450 to 500 plate voltage. I dig the red channel with creamback. Thats the problem everyone thinks its supposed to be hot there wrong on these its preamp distortion hotter wont sound any better that's what Dean told me. I tried a few 30 32 36 and back to 32. More heat more problems he said!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  9. AlanH

AlanH Well-Known Member

Is your original 40C modded beyond the speaker swap?

10. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit where the tubes are mounted? Lots of amps are made this way. ALL TUBE AMPS GET HOT. I’m sure modern amp designers took this into consideration. If the amp sounds better, keep it.

11. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

While this could well be, 32 on a PV of 450 is under 60% dissipation. As long as it sounds good, it can run hotter and not hurt anything. Tube amps run hot.

12. GibsonKramer

It really does sound like a winner..I don't want to return, and most likely won't.

Too late, unless I'm gong to bias the new one at 32. Which is, really, really easy with the new setup.

No other mods. Just a well broken in Marshall V30.

It's probably not a problem, and there's a lot of amp makers that do it nowadays, though typically they should be mounted on a separate board.

I am not against PCB. I'm against poorly manufactured PCB.

I've already taken a bunch of pics, and played it a while. Was going to do a short clip with some playing, and post a NAD thread.

However, I'm going to the store to get my daughter's birthday card (it's tomorrow)... then I'm going to pull the chassis out, and take lots of pictures.

I will share them all with you guys tonight.

Here's some teasers...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ken361 likes this.
  13. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Active Member

Those red/black connectors are the bias trim? That's pretty damn easy. Only thing better would be to put the ports on the back panel.

ken361 and GibsonKramer like this.
  14. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

I like those bias points. Easy enough for the serious user or tech to bias. But not so easy that a curious person can adjust them. Was a major annoyance to balance an amp (at least 50 watters) with a few books then bias it. This also keeps the DIYers away from the high voltage, so that's a good thing.

I wouldn't worry about how the power tubes are mounted or wired. It's a nice feature for amps to use flying leads, but this requires a person to do the work and PCBs will reduce the costs.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  15. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

How's the V-Type responds to DSL v. Creamback?

16. GibsonKramer

That I couldn't tell you. Never owned a Creamback. I like the sound of the original V30.

Now compared to that, I haven't put my Marshall V30 in the new amp yet, but I do know I really like this "V-Type," and it certainly sounds like a V30.

I suspect, it's the Chinese version of the V30, with the UK specs. Though, I could be wrong.

17. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Its not good for the boards unless its a quality made PCB,more problems accor.

18. GibsonKramer

In a really cheap amp.

My Egnater is PCB mounted tube sockets, and its nowhere near the build quality of the Marshall.

Never had a problem with it, running 6V6, or EL34.

The guy that posted that on Facebook, is being a bit reactionary. Kind of like I was, before I gave it a moments thought.

Crunchifyable likes this.
  19. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Actually, the original 2000 series amps had board mounted tubes, that combined with the traces caused them to cook themselves. So, the H series of amps won in that respect, with the HR I guess the new upgrades meant downgrades elsewhere.

That said, if you want chassis mounted tubes, chokes, big caps, flying leads, put your money where your mouth is and buy a 2203x.

4Horseman likes this.
  20. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

It’s a combo. All the heat goes straight up into the board anyway. You think maybe they’ve thought of that since the very few issues that the 2000 series had in 1998!

When I started working on cars 20 years ago, the engines computer was located in the car, behind the dash to prevent heat/stress damage. 2018...they’re located right between the corrosion proned acid battery and the exhaust manifold under the hood!!! They never fail..