Heritage Series G12H (55 Hz) vs Heritage Series G12H (75 Hz)

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by tonyl, May 31, 2011.

1. PDC1

PDC1 Member

I don’t know how big the diff would be between a pair (or quad) of 75hz and a mix of 75hz and 55hz. But the move from 90 watt Creambacks to 30 watt Greenbacks was significant - whatever bass Resonance. I’m sure your G12Ms sound absolutely killer. 20-30 watt speakers of any variety or flavor just provide some softness and ‘give’ to the guitar tone without adding any front end gain. Speaker compression is very different from amp compression and it’s hard to achieve with tighter, higher wattage speakers.

GretaZepFleet likes this.
  2. Victory Pete

Victory Pete New Member

3. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

@Alexhangman Thank you for the audio clips! Props! :cheers:

In 2014, I bought a new Mesa 2x12 Verticle with V30s. They sucked royally! I installed new G12H30(55) and a (75). They were fabulous!. I sold the cab when I sold the Mesa 5:50Plus.

On a side note, I'd like to install a quad of the G12H30(55)s in a 1960B. but I've been told several times thats a muddy combination. Late 60s, early 70s blues/rock is the direction I want to go. As I understand, Marshall used the (55)s and Laney used the (75)s in that era.

Anyone have experience with 4 (55)s in a 1960B?

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

I've got lots of experience with the older Celestion G12H30 55hz T1281's from late 60's to 1974 (when the last of the Pulsonic cones were being installed). They are not muddy at all, but due to the wider frequency response, higher db output and the flatter midrange, they are definitely a clearer speaker. Your playing will not be able to hide from them, whereas a G12M has a little more give to it, not as much upper mids/treble, and the bass is rounder, not as tight or defined as the 55hz G12H.

But muddy? No.

5. mAx___

mAx___ Well-Known Member

I agree with Jim. Nothing sounds LESS muddy than a T1281/T1534 G12H30 55Hz with Pulsonic cones. :)

coolidge56 and Scumback Speakers like this.
  6. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

Fellahs, we are talking about new British Heritage G12H30(55)s, yes? They are about $200 each! Ouch!

These: https://celestion.com/product/25/heritage_series_g12h55/

7. Victory Pete

Victory Pete New Member

I have both the 1960AHW & B cabs. they do sound good, not muddy. I like the Bs better though.

stringtree and DannyB like this.
  8. mAx___

mAx___ Well-Known Member

Not me, I was referring to the originals from the late '60s/early '70s. The Heritage are not nearly as good sounding, unfortunately.

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  9. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

Have you heard anythings new thats close?

10. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

They are loaded with Heritage (55)s aren't they?

Most folks prefer the B cab over the A cab, no matter what speakers. I sure do!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    stringtree likes this.
  11. mAx___

mAx___ Well-Known Member

The closest I heard was the Scumback H55 30W. Really nice speaker.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    DannyB and Scumback Speakers like this.
  12. Scumback Speakers

I had four of these new Heritage 55hz G12H30's. I got them in a steal with a HandWired 412. They are very bright, painfully bright, in fact. Realizing that I pummeled them with a 50 watt dimed with a boost pedal for 5-6 hours. They didn't warm up, so I broke them in with my variac for 4-5 days, 20 hours per day. That still didn't help much. I wound up reconing them to H55-PVC 65w specs, and now they're my demo cab for that speaker model in the shop. I also fixed the cabinet soundpost by putting an original size (larger) sound post in the cab, and that gave it a little more solid bass and low mids.

BftGibson and DannyB like this.
  13. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

My cabs are dated year 2000, with British T75s, 2x2 center post.

My 410VHJS was about a week old when I did a full retube for a more bluesy, classic British basic tone. I use the B cab, with the A cab stuck off in a corner of the room. With an Aracom DAG inline, I run the MV around 8 and preamps around noonish. I turned my Les Paul into a "Poor mans 59."

I'm old and old school. Listen to FREE's "Fire and Water." My absolute favorite Les Paul/Marshall tone and represents the direction I'm looking to go with my cabs.

bgreed2 and GretaZepFleet like this.
  14. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

Please see above post. And thanks for letting me "pick your brain."

I've got two 2x12 cabs that ned further breaking in. Would you sharing some detail info on using a variac to break in speakers? I suspect P=IxE comes into play.

I can see how increasing from a 2x2 post would tighten up the bottom. But what size? Modern cut, pine 2x4?

15. GretaZepFleet

GretaZepFleet Member

Just picked up a 2061cx cab to go with my Studio Vintage 20w head (1959 SLP). Was going to swap the 70th anniversaries for the heritage 55hz but after hearing your sound clips I really like the 75 as well, and especially like the 75 + 55 mix! I think you guys have me convinced to go with this combo in my the 2061. Couple question; how do you guys think this combo of speakers will sound with a plexi? I’m going for Zeppelin & Greta Van Fleet type tones. Secondly, in a diagonal 2x12, would the best placement be the 55 on the bottom & 75 on top?

Kim Lucky Day and Trapland like this.
  16. Scumback Speakers

Sorry, I just saw this post. Variac setting 11 volts. Cut an old computer cable IEC end off, leaving the three wire plug for the variac. Solder a 1/4" jack to the cut end, using the white and black wires, taping off the green wire. Solder to the 1/4" plug, black/ground to ring, white to tip/hot. Check the variac (120 volt, 5 amp type, around $85 on eBay) voltage with your multi-meter. Do not use the Weber or Uncle Spot calculator, you'll burn up your voice coils. Set the variac at 11v, checking with your MM to make sure. Turn on your variac, run away from the 60 cycle hum. Come back every few hours, turn it off for an hour to cool, then turn it back on for 2-3 hours. Tedious, boring, time consuming, I know.

Trapland and stringtree like this.
  17. Trapland

Trapland Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.

Thank you for owning the sv20 and a 2061cx! I have a 2061cx and use it with a couple small box 50 watt heads and it’s excellent. I’m dying to hear how that cab sounds with the sv20 as I really think I need one. If possible, can you post any sound clips of that setup with either 75hz or 55hz speakers? (Yes, I’m hip to how much like a 4x12 the 2061cx sounds)

18. GretaZepFleet

GretaZepFleet Member

I’m still awaiting delivery of the SV20H unforuntately. But when it comes in I’ll be sure to post some clips of it with the 2061cx stock, and then once I get the heritage g12H30’s installed in there I’ll do another sound clip. Also planning on putting some Mullards in the SV so I’ll make another sound clip when that’s done as well haha I’m hoping it will sound brilliant once it’s all done! If anyone can answer my original questions that would be awesome :)

tce63 likes this.
  19. bgreed2

bgreed2 Member

https://i.imgur.com/5ROZnSE.jpg

These are what's in my '07 2061cx, the 70th Anniversary Celestions which I assume to be the Chinese-made ones? Would these be the 75hz speakers?

20. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Glad you brought that up about the 2061CX. I have one and I'm in line for an SV20H.

I've gone back and forth with the stock anniversary speakers. Right now I have a Heritage G12M20 and Heritage G12H55hz in this cab. I liked the tones I got on each speaker solo'd so i combined them. I like this pairing but ive also thought about a Heritage 75hz to try in combination with the 55hz. I've also thought about another 55 and go with 2. My G12M20 is really good in an open back 1x12 I have. I have other Celestions and a 1960AX but the Heritage models do represent a step up in sound.