Hendrix's early Marshall Plexi amp...

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Nik Henville, Sep 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The tone stack mod was done to make the single coils sound better.

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I like the tone stack mod

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  3. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Greg is clearly the expert here but in general using 220k grid leaks is not normal practice with 6550s because you risk redplating due to runaway bias caused by gridclamping. Data sheets suggest 50k, Marshall used 68k, 82k and even 150k so who is to say what is not supposed to work does!

4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

It works but it should not be more than 150K.

5. guitarzan2525

guitarzan2525 Active Member

FM running sideways in a hurricane!! I would love to have this amp!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Shawn Kawvey and Maggot Brain like this.
  6. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I suspect you would need extremely deep pockets these days. Especially if someone like Paul Allen owns it.

7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Hey they should sell it for the 65 quid paid in 1971!! :D

Shawn Kawvey and tomsvintage like this.
  8. purpleplexi

We could all put a fiver in and share it. I'm not paying whole 65 for some amp that's had that Hendrix fella wailing the tits off it. Darned thing'll be worn out.

9. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Well-Known Member

The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous
    Wherever it is, I do hope it gets used regularly.

Edited for clarity and spellerings.

Nik Henville likes this.
  10. purpleplexi

If it doesn't it's a crime against humanity and should be treated as such. The the amp should then be given to me. I'll let you come round and play it - honest.

11. Marshallhead

Marshallhead Well-Known Member

I’ve played through that Hendrix amp, and I can assure you it sounded nothing like Hendrix - in fact it sounded just like me.

Mind you a couple of other people also played through it while I was there, and then it just sounded like THEM!

12. Flat5th

Flat5th Active Member

A Marshall really won't get you into SRV territory except on a few select tunes(voodoo child,come on part iii,etc.) He had a Marshall in his amp set up for a while,but I'm almost positive it was a Marshall Major and he used it for the clean headroom. I have read the mods done to his vibroverb and there were many. A Marshall will get you into Page/Angus territory quick. In fact I heard a friend's JCM8 100 watt 2x12 combo and it nailed Page without any pedals although it had to be cranked to ear splitting volume. Things really are in the hands and fingers and you have to reach a certain level of competence to start to get the "feel" thing down. It is difficult to describe,but you will know when you hit it. Your tone will affect the way the amp feels as well. No amp is going to make you sound like the players you admire. However,the right amp will help you get there more easily. SRV's tone was really a bit clean with tons of beefed up filtering in the amps he used. He also used electrovoice speakers almost exclusively and these are very clean speakers that give you exactly what the amp is putting out without adding to much of their own color to the tone. You have a nice collection of amps. Keep playing around and you will find something that suits you,but it may require finding the right OD pedal or pedals as they all sound different.

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  13. Flat5th

Flat5th Active Member

Well spoken. Time and again I have watched guys buy a certain amp thinking they would instantly sound like their favorite guitarist. It just don't work that way.

Shawn Kawvey and Nik Henville like this.
  14. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

I have a friend in Ventura county who Claims to have a 68 fender Princeton from the electric lady land studio

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  15. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

My favorite Jimi tone was his early JTM45/100 with the germanium fuzz face. The sound he achieved during his monterey performance was massive and diverse, both nasty and beautiful, agressive and soft at any given time... just lucious beautiful.

It would be a dream come true to play thru that amp just for 5 minutes. I truly see why it was Jimi's favorite. It is interesting how his gear changed thru '68, a lot seemed out of convenience and necessity. Silicone fuzz, superleads, cbs strats etc etc... Seemed Jimi and or his techs grabbed whatever was readily availible at the time. A big difference to how spoiled we are now days with nearly any and all gear easily availible.

Shawn Kawvey and Rufuskyote like this.
  16. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I think Hendrix would still sound great, even if he played a Crate amp.
    He would still sound great if he played a sears guitar.
    It don't matter.
    The sound of Jimi - I know was earth shaking talent, not equipment.
    My favorite guitar player / song writer / will always be Jimi Hendrix. You can't buy what Jimi had. It ain't sold in stores.

17. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I agree 100%, Jimi always sounded like Jimi no matter what gear he played. Im sure he could pick up a 3 string out of tune First Act guitar and make it scream... and sound like himself. I still would love to play his favorite Marshall amp tho haha...

18. Kats

Kats Active Member

It's true and it's a bit of a drag, but it doesn't mean you don't need a decent amp. It also cannot be understated how electric guitar players adjust the nuance of their technique so that the sound they hear in their head comes out of the speaker. My gut feeling is that the listener is attracted to the emotion of the playing - not so much the tone. Sometimes I try to just listen to the sound/tone of a solo or something while ignoring the playing. It's almost impossible, but those moments when you can completely shut your emotion off, sometimes your favourite part actually had a pretty boring or even shitty sound.

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  19. Revv23

Revv23 New Member

to sound like your hero's you first steal the licks... then the gear.... then you gotta learn how to play!!

Obviously he had unreal chops... but Hendrix's swing, dynamics, and timing are what made it musical.

I always felt page was a very similar player though very different styles. Clean & tight, fast and sloppy, always swinging to a groove. All the greats seemed to beat the hell out of their stuff when they were on a tear as well. You can hear them just beating the shh out of their guitars!

Shawn Kawvey likes this.