>

Hendrix's '69 Superlead 100

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Maggot Brain, Apr 26, 2021.

1. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Friend of mine got know Monica and he's had the black strat in his hands a few times. He worships Jimi more than anyone I know and seemed to think she was a very nice person. But apart from that one mistake I like him a lot.

Maggot Brain and yladrd61 like this.
  2. guitarzan2525

guitarzan2525 Active Member

Hendrix son (from Monika Danneman) owns the Strat. He is unfortunately, not a musician..

3. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

That Black Strat had some serious Mojo !

Maggot Brain likes this.
  4. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

The coiled cable has a big inpact on the tone hendrix produced .old coiled cables remove a lot of the higher frequencies which reduces the brightness you hear, keep this in mind as straight cables you use will retain more of the higher frequencies

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  5. NoelH

NoelH Active Member

I would be extremely cautious about claims about former Hendrix equipment. Having now lived in the Seattle area for about 6 years, there's one thing I've learned. Hendrix' little sister Janey, pretty much runs "Hendrix, Inc". And she is a shark.
    She has been buying up Hendrix' former guitars and amps for years. And she has lots of money to spend and is pretty unethical in her actions and the lengths she's willing to go. Jimi's full-blooded brother Leon, is virtually a pauper, because she doesn't exactly share. My wife worked at one of Leon's doctor's offices. He could barely pay the bills.
    Anyway, any time something comes up for sale that is supposedly Jimi's, she's all over it. And she does not play well with others. So the chances that you'll have proven provenance is slim. I wish I didn't have to post this, but ask anyone in the Seattle area. Anecdotally, I live about 1.5 miles from Jimi's gravesite. I go by there frequently on my bicycle rides.

6. FracStrat

FracStrat Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I seriously doubt that ANY of the Regulars here would be falling for any of this Poohucky …… I suppose one never knows though ……

7. playloud

playloud Member

This seems to have been 'suspended' for a few days, but has now reared its head again. I wonder what convinced Reverb to reinstate the listing?

Maggot Brain likes this.
  8. NoelH

NoelH Active Member

Yeah, and it's really a bummer to have to post that. Hope you're right. It's sad that after Jimi passed so many money grubbers tried to glom on to the Jimi heritage. Noel Redding used to brag the he kept every receipt he ever got from the management company. Don't know if that helped him or not. Hope so anyway.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  9. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

My guess would be the massive cut of the action they'll take if it ever sells in a million years??? And the massive hype/millions of new gawkers hitting their site because of it being all over the internet??? Could be wrong though.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  10. jhs5150

jhs5150 Member

I'm sure the forger will take all of Tazin's noted discrepancies into account in his next attempt ;-)

TAZIN, Maggot Brain and junk notes like this.
  11. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Looking back at the two head images, the Reverb one has a broken lower left M in the logo. Also do you guys see the paint? Does not appear the same type as on the other gear, right? @Jethro Rocker pointed out the J as well.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  12. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I wonder if Dave Weyer could touch on this seeing as he prepped all of Jimi's U.S. gear with West Coast Organ and finalize the nail in the coffin... But the publicity this is bringing to Reverb is highly valuable, I'm sure they will keep it up as long as they can until it is officially called out as a fake.

playloud likes this.
  13. Mark Collier

Mark Collier Member

Why do you doubt this? I'm down in New Zealand and heard of her ways, exactly as described.

From what I hear, you do not want to cross her path.

14. playloud

playloud Member

Yes, but now they've been alerted to the discrepancies, they likely face some liability for hosting the offending item on their platform.

It's probably not a big deal for typical (much lower-value) items, but I would have thought they'd be more careful here.

15. TAZIN

TAZIN Well-Known Member

The paint consistency seems different than what is seen on other JH gear. This difference makes the letters blurry compared to other stenciling.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  16. Maggot Brain

Ps. 37 likes this.
  17. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

seems he removed the gut shots...

Maggot Brain likes this.
  18. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

Maggot Brain likes this.
  19. Maggot Brain

Yes agreed, those threads are full of interesting conversation, theories and possible facts. I know my '83 2204 with 6550s really nailed some '69+ Hendrix voodoo tones unlike any amp I've ever played and I truly believe a lot of that magic is in the 6550s. Dave Weyer sounds pretty credible with his stories of working at West Coast Organ and working on Jimi's gear. I have yet to finish the entire 106 page thread at metro but I'm almost there, I'm finding Dave's recollections extremely fascinating and if the amp in the reverb listing is from '69 it would have likely passed by Dave depending how credible one thinks he is.

Ps. 37 likes this.
  20. TAZIN

TAZIN Well-Known Member

I see the seller added some new photos to his ad. A few things I noticed on the rear panel are:

The 1969 Super Lead rear panels tend to have a very faint, or absent, period after the text LTD.
    The numeral '4' in the serial # doesn't quite look right. The horizonal stroke seems higher up compared to other '69 panels.