Help with old amp

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Apr 13, 2021.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I would like to get this amp restored. The case can be sent to someone I suppose to have them re tolex it and make a new back board. Who would be good at making sure it's done right?

The main thing is getting a new TAG board made as well as all "right" components to get it back to stock. Does anyone know of an outfit that does this kind of stuff? I want it done right in the amp part, correct wiring and parts to look sound and work as it once did. The case just needs the right looking covering, and of course a new back made up.

Does anyone know if these sound any good? The Fender ones like these bring more money I see, but even these are ranging between $1000 & $2000 in shitting condition. The footswitch is missing and I would like to find it, they are made out of wood!

Attached Files:

2. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

Some of those old Gibson combos sound really, really good. A buddy of mine has one, unfortunately I don't know what model it is ...but it sounds fabulous. Maybe you can find out more about them on a Gibson message board?

Maggot Brain and FutureProf88 like this.
  3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Don’t restore it . It has that vintage look have some one check out the filter caps and reset the caps

4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with South Park on this.
    Clean it, service it, check it is all within spec. that the caps and tubes are all good and appreciate the life it has lead and that it is a cool old vintage amp.
    See if you can find the correct shape of the missing back panel and get some fabric to match.
    :2c:

5. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

That is super cool. I'd have it electrically gone over by a tech, definitely have a three prong power cord attached and have it properly grounded, and then make or have a back panel made... then play it. Wow I bet she sounds gorgeous.

Maggot Brain and Trelwheen like this.
  6. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Man, you got a sweet amp there! Tread lightly on your restoration, just get it healthy and keep it looking like a 60+ year old amp....
    .. Very Nice
    I bet Uncle Doug on YouTube would love to fix that up, you can try to hit him up, he does great work.

neikeel and Maggot Brain like this.
  7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, come to find out this is one of the better Gibson amps to own. I saw a video and it sounds fantastic, tons of drive. I think you guys are right about not recovering it, it’s funny the grill is in great shape but the rest looks like the horn player in company B switched to guitar and took it with him on D-day! It’s got the look that someone messed with the wiring, I need to find a schematic and someone to work on it.
    Wildeman, who is Uncle Doug? I’ll see if I can find him, I want it back to the way it shipped from Gibson. Right now it only hums. A guy gave me it a long time ago, I forgot it was in my attic. I think it’s just as old as me, about the same shape to.

Jethro Rocker and Trelwheen like this.
  8. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

Sadly, Uncle Doug passed away a couple years ago. Great guy that wanted to help educate people. Go check out his YT channel, impressive.

9. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Well, that sucks. He seems like a great guy in his videos, and it shows his last one was posted 2 weeks ago. I did just find a schematic for it, now I need a good tech. The “Guitologist” guy is very good it seems and he has one of these.

10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

For a guy that passed away he sure got back to me awful fast. He said he could not work on any amps though, they were slammed. Oh well, the search goes on.

11. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

Well, I'm glad I was wrong! Was he just pretty sick for a while? Something was going on with him a couple years ago.

12. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

1960_Gibson_GA-20T_Ranger-009.jpg

This is a 1960 GA20 Ranger. There were other years that used a much different terminal strip layout. But I think your turret board is stock and correct for your amp.

The green tangle of wires hanging out of the chassis is most likely where the problems are.

13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Roger that. There is also a big silver can in the bottom on the left?? Doesn't look legit to me but I can't tell because of the wiring. By pure luck it happens to be one of the best sounding small Gibson amps, so I think it is well worth doing. The GA20 T is for tremolo, that is what mine is. There might be a guy in my town that can help but I'v got to find him and ask. (Now that I have schematics) Sure wish mine looked like that!

14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Me too, he seems like a great guy and defiantly know his stuff.