Help setting up pedals and effects loop….

Robmarshall

Reaction score
Ok so I dont know much about pedal order, or which pedals run through the front of the amp, and which I should set up in the effects loop? So far, they are all chained together and going into the front of my DSL40CR. So the effects loop is off and free. How should I rewire my pedal setup for maximum benefit? Here’s the order I have now:

TUNER>TS9>CARBONCOPY>PHASE90>NS1>FRONTOFAMP

Please explain any changes, and what the result should be. Thanks, you all’s tips are always appreciated.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so how exactly do I run correctly run the phase90 and delay in the loop. I mean with the send return etc, I am assuming the two would be tied together then in and out return and send?
Yep, out from send, through effects, back to return.
I'd put phase before the delay, and when you get the EQ, I'd put that 1st in the loop - but that's just what I happen to like.
Others will say EQ last, although it never hurts to try your own loop order and see what works for you.

V-man

Reaction score
Tuner>Ts9>NS1>Front of amp
Delay and Phase 90 in loop.
Time based effects such as chorus flange delay etc seem most effective when bypassing the preamp section.
Just my 2 cents based on my experience
personal preference is fine but this is not a “one size“ formula.

as a rule, delay and verb goes in the loop, but modulation (flange/phase/chorus) is not governed by this. They work fine in the loop but have more pronounced characteristics in front. Phase in particular may be good in the loop but better up front and to some, best before dirt, to others, best after.

Tuner can be anywhere, usually at the front or back of the chain before.

CC belongs in the loop

TS/Phase: Experiment with the TS and Phase in front (and only those two). Flip the order. Then try TS up front and phase in loop (which would go before delay). Pick your poison.

NS will be for looping what is in front of the amp (usually noisy pedals like OD, Dist and EQ.) Unless you are playing metal with heavy palm muting, it may not even be necessary (yet) for your setup.

V-man

Reaction score
Ok so how exactly do I run correctly run the phase90 and delay in the loop. I mean with the send return etc, I am assuming the two would be tied together then in and out return and send?

Pedals X, Y, Z in a loop:

Amp Send ->X input
X -> Y-> Z-> Amp Return

thus, a “loop” of FX running behind amp.

Mike Corey

Reaction score
Ok so I dont know much about pedal order, or which pedals run through the front of the amp, and which I should set up in the effects loop? So far, they are all chained together and going into the front of my DSL40CR. So the effects loop is off and free. How should I rewire my pedal setup for maximum benefit? Here’s the order I have now:

TUNER>TS9>CARBONCOPY>PHASE90>NS1>FRONTOFAMP

Please explain any changes, and what the result should be. Thanks, you all’s tips are always appreciated.
There are no hard and fast rules. Modulation, delay and reverb normally go into the loop, but not all pedals are designed for a loop. The MXR Echoplex delay is designed to go into amp input. Some flangers and phase shifters sound better going into the amp input. You have to experiment. Loops are handy, but not always the best way to go.

Bluewhalin

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed any issues with all the additional cable length? I added a buffer because of this. Assuming pedal board is away from the amp some distance, maybe front of stage, near mic stand in the area I occupy on stage. A couple of 20 foot cables to loop adds 40 more feet. Generally I try to keep the overall length of cable as minimal as possible, but larger stages need longer cables. Anyone experienced any hiccups?

mickeydg5

Reaction score
I tried the Phase 90 in the front and loop. I left it in the loop. But that is in a Jubilee. Not all amplifiers are the same.

I actually left my Distortion+ in the loop of that amplifier as well.

Actually, I think that loop is usually 10-band EQ>Distortion+>Phase90.

The guitar goes straight into the INPUT.

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
A thought for caution and a true story. As a young, inexperienced and budding guitarist, many friends brought me multiple stomp/pedal/foot/thingies, telling me that they would make my guitar sound great. They were absoultely right! Those toys made it sound like I actually knew what I was doing and that I could actually play pretty well. I was smart enough (even back then) to realize that I didn't really know my @$$ from my elbow about playing guitar, gave the toys back to my friends (with thank yous, of course) And decided that I would only add effects AFTER I actually learned how to play!

After =/- thirty years of playing, I allowed my self to get a wah. Having spent that 30-ish years as an often touring sound engineer, using all sorts of cool effects, it dawned on me that as a player in a gin mill/bar band, we could never afford to have a great mix engineer to keep on retainer and depend on for great effects cues. So I became an "echo junkie" and decided that I nedded to do all my own effects and "package" that sound in a convenient way to get it into the PA/sound system. Wet/dry, multiple amp rigs have been used to great affect, but can be cumbersome and inconvenient to deal with on a daily basis. Also, as often being the main singer in most of my projects, elaborate switching and tap dancing on a pedal board can be a total P.I.T.A.!

The journey towards using effects to "enhance" my sound, as opposed to creating and/or defining it has been lengthy. While the "enhancement" is nice, it can be difficult to achieve without ruining a carefully crafted tone, feel and response produced by just a guitar going straight into an amp! Finding just the right recipe will likely continue to be a never ending, yet rewarding journey! At this point I use a rack mounted Lexican MX300 in the loop for tap tempo delay and reverb and in front of the amp, a wah, Peterson StroboStomp tuner, Boost (for single coil Strats only) and a gentle chorus, in that order! Yeah, there's another stomp box switcher for changing midi programs of the MX300 and another two switch box for tap tempo and delay bypass, but not really a lot of effects. FWIW, the boost and chorus come from an older model ZOOM G3, as it has a great chorus and a nice Tube Screamer clone built in. I do have one other boost programmed into it so that I can choose either it or the TS clone or both stacked (again, only for Strats), all on just three foot switches! All my other Teles and Les Pauls need no boosting and only a little chorus, here and there! The wah has become an extension of my soul, along with the wiggle stick on the Strats! Amps are all either Marshall style (with loops) or my 5E3 Tweed Deluxe clone that has only been modded to include a completely passive and totally transparent effects loop!

The whole point here is that each player needs to find what works best for him by truly understanding what is going on and what the capabilities of various gear provides. Quite often, less can be more!

Just Affectin'
Gene

matttornado

Reaction score
carbon copy in the loop or all up front. I always put phase and chorus in front as I like that sound better. Delay placement depends on the delay type and what sound you want.
I think if it like this: analog delays in front for slapback and digital in the loop for more of an 80s type delay that everyone seems to use these days.

I'm sure some analog delays sound good in the loop too!

zachman

Reaction score
carbon copy in the loop or all up front. I always put phase and chorus in front as I like that sound better. Delay placement depends on the delay type and what sound you want.
I think if it like this: analog delays in front for slapback and digital in the loop for more of an 80s type delay that everyone seems to use these days.

I'm sure some analog delays sound good in the loop too!
I generally put OD, Distortion, Fuzz, EQ, Envelope Followers, Univibe, Wah, Boost, Phase shifters, Flangers, Tremolo, and Tape Delays in front, and Chorus, Reverb, Delays, Harmonizers, in the loops. There are exceptions to EVERYTHING, which include signal routing and considerations which are brand dependent, and depending on the intended results. There are no real rules, more like guidelines. Experiment with pedal placement in the series configuration ex. guitar, OD, Distortion, wah vs wah, OD, Distortion and then experiment similarly with the fx you're running through your loop.

Remember that when you're running a series chain, the first thing affects the last thing in the chain when you're running more than one thing at a time so consider do you want to delay the signal going into your OD, or do you want the repeats of the delay to include the OD signal-- etc...

El Gringo

Reaction score
personal preference is fine but this is not a “one size“ formula.

as a rule, delay and verb goes in the loop, but modulation (flange/phase/chorus) is not governed by this. They work fine in the loop but have more pronounced characteristics in front. Phase in particular may be good in the loop but better up front and to some, best before dirt, to others, best after.

Tuner can be anywhere, usually at the front or back of the chain before.

CC belongs in the loop

TS/Phase: Experiment with the TS and Phase in front (and only those two). Flip the order. Then try TS up front and phase in loop (which would go before delay). Pick your poison.

NS will be for looping what is in front of the amp (usually noisy pedals like OD, Dist and EQ.) Unless you are playing metal with heavy palm muting, it may not even be necessary (yet) for your setup.
Whenever I have placed the delay in the loop it always sounds faint or weak , where up front it's more pronounced . I wonder why ?