Help: Problems replacing tubes on my Silver jube

usablefiber

Reaction score
I’m trying not to let this ruin my day but i’m so tired of this. 150 bucks for a full service and tube job but it only lasts a month or so of actual playing before it breaks again.

The silver jube and yjm are like this something always going wrong.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
You changed the preamp tubes but it’s more likely that there’s a problem with your power tubes if you’re blowing the ht fuse. Take out the power tubes, replace the ht fuse and run the amp with only the preamp tubes. If the fuse holds, the problem is not in the preamp. Then put in new power tubes, if the fuse blows again the problem is probably not related to the tubes at all. In that case you’ll need a real tech to find the problem.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I’m trying not to let this ruin my day but i’m so tired of this. 150 bucks for a full service and tube job but it only lasts a month or so of actual playing before it breaks again.

The silver jube and yjm are like this something always going wrong.
Make sure you're using the right fuses, please post what you are using. Put a meter on your cab and measure that it is what you say it is, make sure the amp ohms are set to match the cab ohms. How many watts is the cab and how is it wired? Lastly you need to find a new tech if this is a recurring problem your tech cant figure out.

Open your amps and do a physical inspection look very closely at all the bits and pieces, chopstick all the wires, look for something that may not look right. Whats weird is you have 2 amps with the identical intermittent problem, leads me to believe its something external to the amps.

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
something went terriby wrong. so i put in all new preamp tubes. used electrical contact cleaner and put them in and out the sockets a few times as usual. my tech gave me a new fuse which i put in. made sure all the connections were good. 8 ohms into 8 ohms cabinet jack connection good all tubes cleaned and let 24 hours for cleaner to dry fully on. amp powers on. All tubes lighting up fine. flip the standby and immediately a huge popping sound comes on the speakers and i strum with no sound coming out. turn and off and it looks as if the new fuse immediately blew. I had the right fuse and tubes and everything i told my tech the amp model and everything.

I’m so frustrated. i’m so tired of these amps constantly constantly not working and wasting hundreds of dollars going back to techs of money i don’t have to spend. i just want one of these two to last more than a few months before something blows up

As indicated earlier, it seems like there is more at fault than just a fuse. Generally, fuses blowing are symptoms of underlying problems, not the cause itself.

The way I see it, and I'll be a bit blunt, is that you either return the faulty unit (if it is indeed just a few months old) or learn to fix your own kit. Growing up, I didn't have the money to have things repaired or buy new ones generally, so I learned to fix stuff. I am immensely grateful for that life lesson, and benefit from it every day. If you're any good, you can earn a few bucks on the side fixing stuff for other people. The stacks of CRT television sets, VCR's, game consoles and so on that I repaired during my youth kept my head above water.

@Chris-in-LA and @pedecamp have provided solid advice if you want to tackle this yourself. Gutshots may reveal something to us that you might overlook yourself, too.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
This may be a new amp, but even that doesn't rule out the possibility of infant death in an electrolytic capacitor.

Because that described problem can certainly be caused by complete failure of an electrolytic cap in the power supply,
and while they SHOULD last an absolute minimum of 10 years, sometimes a bad one crops up.

THE FUSE IS NEVER THE PROBLEM if it's the proper value. It is an INDICATOR of a problem, and the fuse blew to keep
things from getting much worse up to and including FIRE.

usablefiber

Reaction score
Yes you are right and i really appreciate the advice, thanks chris in LA and Pedacamp for the tips. I apologize for being whiny before. i just got home from a long nightmare shift at work and immediately the amp broke again so i was maybe a bit reactionary.

As indicated earlier, it seems like there is more at fault than just a fuse. Generally, fuses blowing are symptoms of underlying problems, not the cause itself.

The way I see it, and I'll be a bit blunt, is that you either return the faulty unit (if it is indeed just a few months old) or learn to fix your own kit. Growing up, I didn't have the money to have things repaired or buy new ones generally, so I learned to fix stuff. I am immensely grateful for that life lesson, and benefit from it every day. If you're any good, you can earn a few bucks on the side fixing stuff for other people. The stacks of CRT television sets, VCR's, game consoles and so on that I repaired during my youth kept my head above water.

@Chris-in-LA and @pedecamp have provided solid advice if you want to tackle this yourself. Gutshots may reveal something to us that you might overlook yourself, too.