Help Me Pick: Marshall JCM900 SL-X / Jubilee / 1987x / DSL 100HR / JCM2000

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
87 won't have the low end or gain of a DSL.

Good point … another win for the 1987x 👍

Depends on what you want, of course, but I tend to keep my bass rolled back a bit, and imo people tend to use way gain than is necessary anyway. Though, in fairness, I don’t really play anything heavier than 80’s era.

steveb63

Reaction score
Most chasers of this sort of tone don't realize that most of the low end punch is NOT in the guitar sound directly, but instead created by the way the bass and kick drum gets mixed with it. If you get all the sound and low end that you THINK is on the recording (while playing by yourself, alone in a room) and then put a bass and drum kit with it, there will be nothing but undefined mush in the bottom end! I've been a touring sound engineer for +50 years, I've seen it all before and I know what I speak!
But, Do As You Will!
Gdene
I can't stress enough of the truth quoted above.

It has taken me a few years to learn this.

I've been playing quite a while, forty plus years, and not until the past five more or less did I figure this out. I've seriously started tracking my music in a DAW program and then it was very apparent that a great low end guitar tone has more to do with the bass- kick relationship than the bass knob on my amp.

Once you find the "magic" in the mix, then that axe can get fat as hell.

Well, it will sound fat, when in the whole mix.

When it comes to Madison Square Bedroom all bets are off. Do what seems cool at the moment.

slashby

Reaction score
When I read your requirements for thick, chunky and aggressive I immediately thought of Orange...maybe a Rockerverb or the cheaper TH30?

Latest posts