Help me pick an amp for my old man Jtm45 vs 2203 vs 2525H Mini Jubilee, plexi??

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by kvxmg, Jan 9, 2021.

?

Jtm 45 vs Jubilee vs 2203

1. Jtm 45

24 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. 25550 jubilee

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. 2203

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kvxmg

kvxmg Member

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get my dad an amp for home use, he plays a lot of blues, clapton, pink floyd.

i was leaning towards the JTM 45 as its close to a bluesbreaker from what i understand ?

or to have more tonal versatility is better getting something like a 2203 , using the clean channel and putting pedals in front of it like a blues break etc and if we want more hedrix/deep purple tones we can add fuzz/overdrive etc.

I've read we need to use an attenuator to get good tones for bedroom levels. but bar for that after watching plenty of youtube videos it all kinda sounds the same to me :/

another consideration is i currently have a mesa rectifier 4x12 cab until i spring and get him a 2x12 with either V30s or greenbacks.

Thanks all!

KK

2. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

:welcome:
    Welcome to the forum.
    I don't have any of those amps, yet.
    I think I need to get some kids like you.

Bluesrock, scozz, bluesguy62 and 9 others like this.
  3. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Damn I hope my son will ever buy me something like this. My kids are 3 and 6 and there's already a running joke about "dad buys amps, cabs, speakers, again"... yep at least once a month :nono:

scozz, bluesguy62, steveb63 and 3 others like this.
  4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Hey kv. You're gonna get naturally a thousand answers for various reasons and they'll all be right in one way or another. I will hazard a guess and say that most suggestions will be in favor of the 2203.
    imo to hit the nail on the head, with those musical influences in mind, I will vote for the JTM45.
    I am 100% certain that receiving that model amp from you will simply blow his mind.
    :2c:
    BP

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    scozz, bluesguy62, trax1139 and 5 others like this.
  5. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I think the Vintage Modern would be a natural fit ... you could go w/a head & cab, or just roll w/the 2266C combo. Btw., if you're not familiar w/them, it's basically a hot rodded JTM45/BB. Will cover all the ground he wants/needs and then some.

6. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

If it was my choice for a next amp, I'd agree with the JTM45.
    And you will get lots of different opinions, along with a lot of BS.

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum
    Your dad is a very lucky man to have selfless son as yourself, I am going to run with Cross on this one the vintage modern, can cover a lot of ground.
    Cheers
    Mitch

8. kvxmg

kvxmg Member

Thanks for the input guys ill check out the 2266c and the jtv 45. @Stringray45 your kids are still young I'm 32 and remember the pennies my old man saved to buy me my first knock off fender strat some 25 years ago... I'm merely repaying the favor haha

9. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

It can also do this :yesway:

10. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

For home use, SC20, or SV20+attenuator. A JTM45 would also work, with an attenuator. A 2203 is a loud beast for home use.

scozz, bluesguy62, Old Punker and 5 others like this.
  11. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I agree with @marshallmellowed on SC20. Studio Vintage SV20 works too. Both have a 5 watt mode. I use it without an attenuator. For your tones, the SV20 hits the target. Unless your dad is gigging the JTM45 is too much amp.

scozz, bluesguy62, Old Punker and 3 others like this.
  12. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    For home use only I would go for maybe a DSL1hr, coupled with a 1 x 12 with 65w Creamback in it. 1 watt is still blimmin loud in a home setting. This would then giving the option of going for something like a SV/SC 20 or JTM 45 at a later date and using the cab with that too.
    Buying a 20+ watt amp for home use only would be a mistake. You would then need attenuation or pedals (or both) to get anything other than a flat clean tone.
    However, if he already has pedals and an attenuator, then go for it....SV20 would be my choice.

13. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I like the simplicity and versatility of a JTM45 and as a single amp and a couple of pedals that would be my choice if I had to cull my gear (after all that is what I gig with through a '68 4x12 with the sweetest pre-rola celestion greenbacks).

Depends if your options are just ideas or you have options on those particular amps?

Marshall's recent offerings of the SV20 and SC20 would seem very good ones particularly with a nice 2x12 although I've not played them myself. My 2203 amp is a beast and needs great care anywhere let alone at home in a confined space!

14. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I think the SV20 with a attuenator (I have a Weber Mini Mass 50) would be a great choice.

The SC20 would work to.

And :welcome: to the forum

Cheers :cheers:

15. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

No need for an attenuator with a 100 watt 2203 but it is overkill for a bedroom player but can do tv volume if desired. Has more gain than a jtm45, not much need for fuzz pedals. Has more gain than Hendrix’s amps. Better off getting a SC20, the 20 watt version. I play my 50 watt 2204’s at home all the time.

JTM45’s sound great, a cross between a Fender and a 2203/SC20. But you have to play them loud. You might need an attenuator for the bedroom as well as pedals for extra gain, like Hendrix did with his plexis. The 20 watt SV20 might be a better bet, a lower volume JTM45, but still might need an attenuator.

The Jubilee has the most gain of the bunch but I’ve never played one. Probably has a master volume so no need for an attenuator. Some guys swear by them. I hear that the EQ is a little touchy and they are darker sounding than these other amps.

Your best bet for the classic rock bedroom player might be the SC20, that’s my vote.

16. kvxmg

kvxmg Member

would strictly be home use

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  17. dro

dro Well-Known Member

JTM45 W/1960BX loaded with Greenbacks. Best amp I ever bought Hands down. Sound like your Dad and I grew up at the same time. jtm45.jpg

18. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Home use, blues player... don't dismiss origin. I've only played one once on a gig with shared backline but to me it seemed like an amp to be to a jtm45 what 2203 is to a 1959
    .. again, i only played one once a few years ago and my memory might betray me, but that's the feeling i got from it.
    J

19. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Origin not even close to a Jtm45

trax1139 and BanditPanda like this.
  20. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

It really depends on how much he would want to rely on pedals plus attenuator. If he already has a bunch a pedals or not?

If he just wants to plug straight in, then the Jubilee or the SC20. The SC20 probably has enough gain for his needs but the Jubilee has more if needed and it has a great clean channel which is switchable.

The rectifier cab if it has the Mesa V30s should work great with the Jubilee.

I have a 45. The 45 realistically requires an attenuator and pedals for home use.