Help me organize my Marshall amp rig

Saberslash

Reaction score
Okay guys, I am torn between some options and I think I need your help with my Marshall Amps and equipment so please advice, maybe someone can have more objective view looking from 3rd person perspective...

Currently I own:
1. Marshall DSL1 1w head
2. Marshall Silver Jubilee 20w Combo
3. Marshall Silver Jubilee 2x12 vertical slanted cabinet
4. Marshall Silver Jubilee 1x12 cabinet

I used to play at gigs before corona started and from this summer I will continue with new band..

I find that I mostly carry combo or 1x12 cabinet with Orange Rocker 15(which I sold), so 2x12 vertical slanted cab is only played at home and not moving..

Is it good idea to get rid of 2x12 jubilee cab (I have an offer from a friend who wants to buy it), and get myself 4x12 Silver Jubilee Cabinet, which I can get at really low price now, and to use 4X12 at home, and since I already have Jubilee Combo, maybe to buy some Marshall 20w head..

Maybe SC20 or SV20 or even DSL20 just to get different flavor, and use it mostly as a pedal platform or for nice clean sounds and Jubilee for high gain.

What would you do, I can spend like 2000 USD(when I sell 2x12) now on equipment and I want to make my amp collection as versatile and as flexible as possible.

And yeah, if you did not notice, I am huge Silver Jubilee fan..

Thanks for the reading and sorry for a long post...

Looking forward for your opinions.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Okay guys, I am torn between some options and I think I need your help with my Marshall Amps and equipment so please advice, maybe someone can have more objective view looking from 3rd person perspective...

Currently I own:
1. Marshall DSL1 1w head

I used to play at gigs before corona started and from this summer I will continue with new band..

I find that I mostly carry combo or 1x12 cabinet with Orange Rocker 15(which I sold), so 2x12 vertical slanted cab is only played at home and not moving..

Is it good idea to get rid of 2x12 jubilee cab (I have an offer from a friend who wants to buy it), and get myself 4x12 Silver Jubilee Cabinet, which I can get at really low price now, and to use 4X12 at home, and since I already have Jubilee Combo, maybe to buy some Marshall 20w head..

Maybe SC20 or SV20 or even DSL20 just to get different flavor, and use it mostly as a pedal platform or for nice clean sounds and Jubilee for high gain.

What would you do, I can spend like 2000 USD(when I sell 2x12) now on equipment and I want to make my amp collection as versatile and as flexible as possible.

For playing out if the Jubilee combo is enough take the 1x12 cab with it and stckmit up. Nice little mini stack, easy to haul, small footprint.
For playing at home the 4x12 seems overkill to me, the 2x12 is an excellent compromise IMO.
It might be a pain playing out with 2 heads and multi cabs.
For home use I say try the SC20 as it is quite a different flavor from the Jubilee. Great little amp.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Currently I own:
1. Marshall DSL1 1w head

The SJ combo &1x12 make a nice portable rig. (as @Jethro Rocker said)
If you like the DSL1H, I'll bet you'll like the DSL20C even better.
I sold my DSL1 after I got the 20HR.
DSL20's clean channel makes a great pedal platform.
With an Mx112, you'd have a similar little stack to the Jub - and well in your budget.

Saberslash

Reaction score
For playing out if the Jubilee combo is enough take the 1x12 cab with it and stckmit up. Nice little mini stack, easy to haul, small footprint.
For playing at home the 4x12 seems overkill to me, the 2x12 is an excellent compromise IMO.
It might be a pain playing out with 2 heads and multi cabs.
For home use I say try the SC20 as it is quite a different flavor from the Jubilee. Great little amp.
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, 2x12 seems like compromise, because it is..
It is heavy to carry to gigs, and to my ears 4x12 sounds much "fuller"..
And since it will be home based, not moving anywhere cab, it is not much bigger than 2x12 vertical, just heavier, so it is still tempting for me since I can get new one for really low price. (like get rid of 2x12 and add 100 usd).. And how cool will it be to have SJ 4X12 made in UK cab? haha

If I am going SC20 route, should I pick up head or combo version, since I can also stack combo on 1x12 SJ cab, seems like smarter idea?

One question, internal speaker is plugged in 16ohm single jack, so original integrated speaker in combo is 16ohms, same as it is 1x12 extension cabinet.. So to stack them, I unplug from 16ohms port, and I plug internal speaker in 1x8 (2x16) in one port, and in second I plug extension? Is that correct? Thanks

Last edited:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
One question, internal speaker is plugged in 16ohm single jack, so original integrated speaker in combo is 16ohms, same as it is 1x12 extension cabinet.. So to stack them, I unplug from 16ohms port, and I plug internal speaker in 1x8 (2x16) in one port, and in second I plug extension? Is that correct? Thanks
Yep.

junk notes

Reaction score
Yep.
Thanks for the response.
:yesway:
sv.jpg

(from the other thread.)

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, 2x12 seems like compromise, because it is..
It is heavy to carry to gigs, and to my ears 4x12 sounds much "fuller"..
And since it will be home based, not moving anywhere cab, it is not much bigger than 2x12 vertical, just heavier, so it is still tempting for me since I can get new one for really low price. (like get rid of 2x12 and add 100 usd).. And how cool will it be to have SJ 4X12 made in UK cab? haha

If I am going SC20 route, should I pick up head or combo version, since I can also stack combo on 1x12 SJ cab, seems like smarter idea?

Hey up to you. Sounds like a great deal on a 4x12.

And as others have verified, yes on the connection.

Saberslash

Reaction score
Hey up to you. Sounds like a great deal on a 4x12.

And as others have verified, yes on the connection.

I am in Europe, and this 4x12 cab would cost me 800 USD with all taxes included, brand new in shop.. So I think it is awesome idea to pick it up since those are not that common, are made in UK, and I see new in USA on Sweetwater are about 1800 USD :)

I just checked SC20, and combo only has 10" speaker, so head would be a way to go.. Can it be played with lots of gain on lower volume, since it is only 1 chanell amp? No much experiences with 1 chanell, only dual on SJ so I use footswitch to toggle between those :)

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I am in Europe, and this 4x12 cab would cost me 800 USD with all taxes included, brand new in shop.. So I think it is awesome idea to pick it up since those are not that common, are made in UK, and I see new in USA on Sweetwater are about 1800 USD :)

I just checked SC20, and combo only has 10" speaker, so head would be a way to go.. Can it be played with lots of gain on lower volume, since it is only 1 chanell amp? No much experiences with 1 chanell, only dual on SJ so I use footswitch to toggle between those :)
Yes great deal!
I meant a head yes since you have a cab. An SC is not nearly as high a gain as the Jubilee. But it is the sound of the 80s gor sure with an OD pedal up front. Bright and in your face, not forgiving but just different tone from the Jubilee. Worth listening to one. Round out the collection a bit.

Saberslash

Reaction score
Yes great deal!
I meant a head yes since you have a cab. An SC is not nearly as high a gain as the Jubilee. But it is the sound of the 80s gor sure with an OD pedal up front. Bright and in your face, not forgiving but just different tone from the Jubilee. Worth listening to one. Round out the collection a bit.

Awesome , thanks again for sharing valuable information.
I assume SV20 is even less gainy than SC20H? So it looks like this when considering how high gain amps are ? Silver Jubille 20w(2525) > SC20H > SV20H/Origin20 ?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I assume SV20 is even less gainy than SC20H? So it looks like this when considering how high gain amps are ? Silver Jubille 20w(2525) > SC20H > SV20H/Origin20 ?
SV 20 has no preamp level setting or gain control. It has to be turned right up in order to get lots of distortion.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
:welcome:
To The Forum
Sounds like you have a great plan to expand your Marshall flavor’s, and I would go with the 412 Jube cab.
Cheers
Mitch

Saberslash

Reaction score
UPDATE:

First thing I did is I bought myself this brand new SJ head, I was at the shop and it was there with the deal that I got it almost in half price(in Europe that is like 400 usd equivalent for this head)..
So for now :D (2x12 could not sit in a picture) haha viber_image_2022-01-26_09-33-30-748.jpg

Saberslash

Reaction score
Selling a 212 and purchasing a 412 for HOME use, seems like overkill to me!
I would keep the 212 that you already have , for home and large gigs.
And then purchase the 412 for even larger gigs!
Nice collection you have!
Yup, that deal on 4x12 is not relevant anymore , since it has been sold, so I ll stick with my 212 :)

Latest posts