Help me load my 2x12 used with my DSL20hr

Chris Banuelos

Reaction score
Well, turns out a pair of G12M65 Creambacks was exactly the solution (for me and my amp and my ears).

Part of me wishes I tried the M65 sooner, but because I didn't, I feel like I'm even more certain that I hit the bullseye.

I got distracted and dove into the H75 first and tried to give the V30 a shot. And messed around with my Texas Heats too.

Started out by getting one M65 from Avatar with the intention to combine it with an H75 in the 2x12. Instead, I started by putting it in my little Bugera 1x12 to get a feel for the speaker alone. And I knew instantly that I was on to something. I instantly liked that cab again, and I wasn't fighting with the EQ on my DSL20hr. Everything was at noon and it sounded great. 11-1 range on every knob was where I'd live and that's a good sign in my book. I was confident enough that I went online and ordered two more M65s for the 2x12. Put them in yesterday and yup. Even better than the 1x12 for obvious reasons. So balanced, so clear, no fizz, no harsh, no mud, just sweet sweet tone.

So this journey is at an end. Queue the next one! Still trying to figure out which delay pedal will hit the spot now!
Glad you found a solution. Where can we hear a sound demo?

IbanezDestroyer

Reaction score
Just my two cents but the best sounding 2 x 12 cabinet I have found is the EVH 2 x 12 loaded with the Celestion G12H Anniversary speakers. Every head I put through that cabinet sounds better. From my Marshall DSL 100, AVT 100, B-52 AT100 and Jet City JCA50H they all sound better than through my 1960 Marshall 4x12.

houseofrock

Reaction score
You might get what you are after with an EQ instead of a speaker swap.

Frankie33

Reaction score
Unless I missed it , you never tried the G12T75. It has a tight low end , mids, and a soft top end. I put one in my DSL combo and it really made it shine. Also put a tunsol 12ax7 in V1 which also tightened the bass. I was split on the G12t, it really sounds good in the DSL

Bootlg13

Reaction score
So though I was almost going to buy a 112, I found a used 2x12 Avatar Traditional closed back for a really good price. It came loaded with V30s. I figured I'd give them a shot, but I do not like them at all, especially with the DSL20, for the reasons that most people don't like this pairing. The V30 just emphasizes the flaws of the DSL20 in my option.

In any case, they only other thing I had laying around is a pair of Texas Heats. I've liked the Texas Heats in the past, and I definitely like them better than the V30 in this cab with the DSL20, but there's just something missing. Maybe a little too dark. Looking for a little more livliness or fullness, sonic range. Can't quite place it. Almost like the Texas Heat is a super safe speaker... too safe. Doesn't really shine, but doesn't do anything wrong either if that makes sense.

Choices now are to blend something else with with of the Texas Heats for some more clarity, openness, a little brighter, maybe a little more low end too. OR, just replace them both and get a pair of something I'm going to love with this amp. The V30 is way too bright, too sizzly, too harsh. And I described the Texas Heat above. So should I be looking at a pair of M65 Creamback? The Eminence DV-77 also has gotten my attention as a speaker that might be fantastic. I have the York Audio DV-77 and Creamback M65 packs and I LOVE them with my DSL20 and my Captor.

Advice for this 2x12? Wish speakers were cheaper so I could buy a bunch, try stuff and flip what I don't want easier and without losing a ton of $ in the process.
paired my v30 with 1990's g12t 75 celestial sounds really good

UncleD

Reaction score
So though I was almost going to buy a 112, I found a used 2x12 Avatar Traditional closed back for a really good price. It came loaded with V30s. I figured I'd give them a shot, but I do not like them at all, especially with the DSL20, for the reasons that most people don't like this pairing. The V30 just emphasizes the flaws of the DSL20 in my option.

In any case, they only other thing I had laying around is a pair of Texas Heats. I've liked the Texas Heats in the past, and I definitely like them better than the V30 in this cab with the DSL20, but there's just something missing. Maybe a little too dark. Looking for a little more livliness or fullness, sonic range. Can't quite place it. Almost like the Texas Heat is a super safe speaker... too safe. Doesn't really shine, but doesn't do anything wrong either if that makes sense.

Choices now are to blend something else with with of the Texas Heats for some more clarity, openness, a little brighter, maybe a little more low end too. OR, just replace them both and get a pair of something I'm going to love with this amp. The V30 is way too bright, too sizzly, too harsh. And I described the Texas Heat above. So should I be looking at a pair of M65 Creamback? The Eminence DV-77 also has gotten my attention as a speaker that might be fantastic. I have the York Audio DV-77 and Creamback M65 packs and I LOVE them with my DSL20 and my Captor.

Advice for this 2x12? Wish speakers were cheaper so I could buy a bunch, try stuff and flip what I don't want easier and without losing a ton of $ in the process.
G12-65 Heritage & G12-65 Creamback works with everything ...

SuperDave

Reaction score
When I had my Dsl20hr I had it paired with a used 112 DR Z cab I found on Craigslist for $250 that had 3 removable back plates and a Creamback 65 and was a good sound for classic rock and classic metal. I ended up selling the head and getting the 40cr because I needed more clean head room at band volume.

Latest posts