Help me choose a Fender amp

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by McNamara, May 27, 2020.

1. McNamara

McNamara Member

This isn't meant in any way to imply that I'm unhappy with my 2204 - quite the opposite, it's the last amp I'll ever get rid of. But, part of me really really wants a Fender to compliment it. Especially since I recently got a Strat that sounds fantastic. My basic requirements are that it's all-tube, has onboard reverb and tremolo, and is somewhat more portable than my half stack. With that in mind I think I have it narrowed down to (in order of increasing wattage), a Deluxe Reverb, Custom Vibrolux Reverb, or Super Reverb. I'd be getting a used reissue amp rather than a vintage BF or SF model.

I don't intend for this amp to be able to keep up with the Marshall in terms of volume or drive. They'd be used for completely different gigs. The JCM for hard rock/metal, and the Fender for blues, surf, jazz, etc. I'll likely be using pedals for dirt from the Fender, so the exact breakup point on the volume knob isn't too critical.

Thanks in advance.

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The Deluxe Reverb Re-issue is the best amp Fender has made in a very long time.
    Probably because it's built a lot like the real old Fender amps...
    but also because it sounds really sweet.

scozz, Trapland, Trelwheen and 2 others like this.
  3. McNamara

McNamara Member

Do you have a preference between the '65 and '68 reissues (of the Deluxe Reverb)?

4. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

The super sonic would work

5. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

You have a 50 watt Marshall and you're going to pair it with a 22 watter Deluxe?

Wouldn't something higher wattage match better?

If you're doing dirt on the Marshall is it cleans on the Fender?

I would think that in order to compete, the Deluxe would distort getting volume out of it.

6. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

I actually prefer Fender amps..
    2020 Bassman jagstang opt.jpg 2020 Super 6 opt.jpg 2020 BandM opt.jpg 73 pro & 74 SR (2).jpg

7. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Princeton reissue with a 12” speaker. Several special editions available with a 12. Don’t discount the blues jr either. It’s a LOUD 15w. I love my blues jr iv. They basically modded them with all the best mods for the latest version.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  8. ampmadscientist

9. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

68 can jumper the channels & left side is more Bassman like..you can bring in the grit & then bring up other side to blend real nice. They put the Celestion V type in it which brings out some nice mids The 65 with jensen.is gonna fart out a lil but does do a decent BF but so does the right side of the 68

10. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

deluxe reverb
    princeton reverb
    blues jr
    De Ville 212
    there have always been good amps in the fender line.
    you just gotta be able to match the amp for its intent.
    your not gonna get metal out of a vibrolux thats convincing. lol

above are a few good affordable ones to go along with the others mentioned.

11. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

Trelwheen and BftGibson like this.
  12. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

You can probably find an original silverface Deluxe Reverb that isn't too terribly different than a blackface and will blow your doors off for half the money. And the Deluxe Reverb is easily in the top 5 greatest things ever built on earth, if not the top 3.

If you check the NYC Craigslist there seem to be a lot of very well cared for old Fender amps around. People know what they have and theyre priced accordingly. If you going to throw down for something it may as well be for something that is going to increase in value.

13. McNamara

McNamara Member

No, sorry, you misunderstand me. They would not be coming to the same gig together. If I'm going to do metal/hard rock, it's just the Marshall. The Fender would be for anything else basically. Is there potential crossover, sure! You could do hard rock with a SR and appropriate dirt pedals, and I can get damn good clean tones out of the low input of my Marshall. I just want something tonally different and a little more portable than my half stack.

I'd be down for a nice example of a vintage early Silverface if the price was right. I just haven't seen any around me (Dallas) for half the price of a lightly used reissue. The possible exceptions, nearly, are the early 70s Super Reverbs. I've seen them in decent condition for $800-900 (same as a used SRRI), probably because people would rather lug around something lighter. But I bet they sound fantastic. I could go for one of them.

14. ampmadscientist

No not a siverface.

15. McNamara

McNamara Member

I've considered those, too. Actually, I hadn't seen the specs on the Blues Jr IV, last I saw was the III. Seems like nice upgrades. And I like how the Princeton sounds, I'm just a bit worried that I might need higher headroom than those amps offer. Could always be taken care of with mic'ing and/or putting in a more efficient speaker, I guess.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  16. McNamara

McNamara Member

Don't most of the early Silverface models have essentially the Blackface circuit? Say '68-'70 or so?

17. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

I tend to like the Deluxe with a single 12. it has it's own beefy tone.

If not then maybe the combo Marshalls.

Trapland likes this.
  18. ampmadscientist

no

19. McNamara

McNamara Member

I do like the Deluxe, it was the first tube amp I ever played. I've also considered some of the new Marshall combos (Origin, Studio) but I think it might be too much overlap with my JCM 800. Hence Fender, I'm looking for that kind of tone for lower gain stuff.

Well, I have heard good things about some of the early SF models, and also that the non-MV ones are relatively simple to mod to BF standards. Given that, it might still make more sense for me to get a much newer reissue for the same price as a vintage SF one that needs some work.

20. ampmadscientist

Sure, if you spill about 20 beers on it, and exhale 20,000 cigarettes, it might start to work as good.

McNamara likes this.