Help ID MIJ Fender...

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Maggot Brain, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I found a lefty MIJ Stratocaster for $100 in a local second hand store. I wanted to research it before I pull the trigger and I am having a hard time figuring it out.

The headstock says "Fender" in silver letters, nothing else. At the base of the neck above the heel it says "Made in Japan" with a serial number below it. The tremelo and saddles looked cheap, no Fender markings.

It looked great, a little light weight but I have a feeling something is fishy with it. I have owned MIJ Fender strats, they were probably the best strats I've ever played but I remember them saying "Fender Stratocaster" with Fender saddles . I would love to own this and flip it Hendrix style but again, it looks off.

Is there a year where the headstock only said Fender? The saddles lead me to believe it is a Squire type "cheap" model.

2. Maggot Brain

Ok I've located some more info, I see lefty models with only "Fender" on the headstock. It has an M serial number putting it around '91-'92.

I think it's legit now, a Fender amp was beside it also. This store is more of a knick knack second hand boutique, I think I may go snag it for how cheap it is.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

You can always email the serial# to Fender and they will give you all the info they have on that guitar.

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I had a Jap lefty that just said Fender, $100 grab it!

5. Maggot Brain

Awesome, thanks for the input guys!

The Fender amp beside it was a Fender "JAM" which appears to be of the same vintage. I'll snag the guitar Monday or Tuesday, I'll even try haggling it down more. The shop was full of little old ladies, doubt they have many takers on it haha. Can't beat that price for a MIJ, never know what you'll find in those little places.

6. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

My MIJ tele has info in neck cavity & bridge pickup cavity. Hardware is Gotoh not Fender. The MIJ pickups are to Fender specs supplied by Fender for Jap production no markings. Pots full size Alpha with sheilded wiring. I'm fairly sure Made in Japan was moved from headstock the back of neck about 94ish, but dont quote me on that. For a hundred bucks I'd grab it regardless.

7. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

There were a wide variety of different models and several different Japanese manufacturers contracted by Fender over the years.

Also, lefty badging wasn't always consistent with righties iirc

8. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Wait till senior discount day and get some old lady to buy it for you .

Maggot Brain likes this.
  9. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

you say it's only $100? pull the trigger.

10. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Active Member

Goodness, if I played lefty I'd be running to that shop to buy it. I wouldn't even have the self-control to haggle over the price because I'd feel paranoid that I'd be arrested for stealing it if I didn't get it out of the shop and back home immediately.

11. Thevenin

Thevenin Well-Known Member

I have two ST-54 necks, one from early 90's, the other I bought new on 95. Both have SNs above heel and button string trees. Saddles on my 95 are unmarked, pots were tiny, and single ply pickguard. This may be specific to 50s models, but gives a reference in hardware out of Japan at the time.

12. Maggot Brain

It's kinda perfect because I have been wanting another MIJ Stratocaster AND I've been wanting to get a lefty to reverse ala Jimi so this would be the perfect guitar to add to my collection. I am pretty stoked I randomly peeked inside the shop.

I'll post photos soon as I pick it up.

13. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

MIJ Squires were sweet guitars looking back. we didnt like them way back because they were MIJ.
    shit i would love one of those 80's Squires. fit, finish, and playing, they were/are nice guitars no 2 ways
    about it.

14. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

are you back yet? :monkey:

15. Maggot Brain

I had an 80s MIJ Squire... Man that guitar was NICE. It felt SOLID, the fretwork was beautiful.

It was stolen in a break in along with my cheap yamaha classical... Thank God the intruder was an idiot, he left behind all my valuable guitars and took the 2 with the lowest value.

Had he stolen my Fender... well I would have gone John Wick on his ass and hunt him down.

16. Maggot Brain

I think the shop is closed today, I'm going to swing by and check. Worst case tomorrow, I am pretty excited but I'll be leaving all my guitars with my parents when I leave Thursday :(

17. Maggot Brain

[​IMG]

$75
    Guitar + gig bag

I don't know if I should be ecstatic or ashamed!

Going to flip the nut, string it righty and set it up this afternoon.

18. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Cool, I'd have grabbed it even if it was a Squier at that price. Matter of fact that is what i usually pick my Squiers up for, Nuther 100 bux or so for a steel block and alnico's and gone....
    You might dig those ceramics though, some guys like'em alot.

19. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations on your score brother, I have been wanting to do just as you are
    :cheers::dude::shred::shred2:

Maggot Brain likes this.
  20. Maggot Brain

Finished reversing it, replaced the nut with a RH, cleaned and polished the frets, adjusted the truss rod, set the action and intotation and fresh strings... Oh and reversed the strap button... Must have been the ritual Jimi went thru with a new guitar (before he had techs)

I am absolutley blown away with the sustain. I was excited plucking it in the store, it was loud acoustically so I had hopes it would play nice. The neck is butter smooth and slightly thicker than my MIM, overall this will be one of my lifer guitars. I can't believe I stumbled upon it, a MIJ was going to be my next addition, pretty pumped!

I forgot how unbalanced they are flipped, I owned the '97 Woodstock tribute strat years ago, I dont recall it being so drastic.

[​IMG]