Help Choosing My First Marshall

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by zenzombie007, Apr 28, 2020.

1. zenzombie007

zenzombie007 New Member

What's up, everybody. So, I've got the Marshall itch bad. I've never owned one and don't know much about the various models. I'm usually a Fender guy. My main amp has been a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. After shopping around and doing a lot of research I've kind of narrowed it down to a handful of choices.

Origin 20, DSL 20, Studio Vintage, or Studio Classic.

The way I see it, the choice I have to make is if I want to go more 'vintage' or slightly more 'modern' and then low end or high end.

I play mostly at home and have very close neighbors so I can't crank the volume. (My DR usually doesn't run higher than 3 or 4 max.) I play a lot of classic hard rock, AC/DC, Kiss, Zeppelin, Judas Priest, David Bowie, and punk slash garage i.e. the Clash, Ramones, Misfits, Black Keys, and White Stripes. Guitars, Gibson SG is what I'm playing most lately or a Baja Telecaster, and an Airline 3P. Less frequently, I'll use a bone stock Mexi Strat and a Supro something or other.

If it's any reference, probably my FAVORITE tone is Ziggy era Bowie. I'd like to be able to get a bit more when I need it to play some of the gnarlier stuff so I guess I'm looking for something that takes something like a TS9 well.

So, what's the best option for that array of tones and are the more expensive Made in the UK models worth the extra dough? Follow up, how are the combos vs. heads? I can get a ridiculously good deal on the SC20 combo right now but I am very spooked by the 10" speaker.

Thanks in advance, sorry if I'm too wordy.

2. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would say the SV20 or SC20

The SV20 is loud as hell so you will need an attuenator at home.
    The SC20 has a Master volume so maybe it will work.

And :welcome: to the forum, a great place

3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Hi @zenzombie007 and welcome to the forum :welcome:

I have only had one of the amps you have shortlisted, the DSL20HR.
    I took it back and got a DSL40CR!

Mine was plagued with the issues that ruined the early runs of the DSL20s.
    The emulated out and FX loop were in the wrong place in the signal chain.
    They were between the channel gain and channel volume stages, not after them like they should be.
    Made for all sorts of problems with dialling in an E/out tone, and made for strange volume jumps/drops when switching between channels when using a looper in the loop.
    Every DSL20 in the shop was the same, heads and combos.
    Marshall should have fixed it by now, but who knows?
    So check for issues first with the DSL20s.

DSL40CR has been trouble free!

Rusty Strings, nickfox and tce63 like this.
  4. Rusty Strings

Rusty Strings Active Member

I had to return 2 DSL20HR (heads) made in December 2017. The one I kept is from October 2019 and all works as it should. But it is loud, I use an attenuator even on 10w settings to keep it below 85db. I also have the DSL1CR and it can run as loud as 100db if desired. So if you have close neighbours minding your noises, I'd suggest DSL5CR would be your healthy compromise.
    :headbanger::shred2: :shred: :scream::rock::run:

Dwayne Eash, SkyMonkey and tce63 like this.
  5. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

I have a DSL40CR and I think it's a great home amp. You get clean, crunch, OD1 and OD2. You don't get that in the smaller dsl models. You can spend a lot of time exploring this amp and you really don't need any distortion pedals. So many great tones.

It also has 2 master volumes so you can get it to be pretty quiet. In this amp, you get most of the distortion from the preamp so you can dial in some great tones at lower volumes.

And when the neighbors go away, you can blow some f*ing trails... :)

n

Listogast, Crikey, cscoios and 3 others like this.
  6. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

4010 .....worth the hunt ,may cost good money nowdays
    If you don't have the funds for that
    5010 ....easy enough to come by ,a proper Marshall ,I dont give a ..... what anybody says
    Lead 12 ^ same thing

tce63 likes this.
  7. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I can get great sounds out of the 40CR at bedroom vols that no- one can hear in the next room. I know they're Marshalls but you don't HAVE to run them on 11. Esp the DSLs. Even on the 40 watt setting mine sounds great at home.

nickfox and Crikey like this.
  8. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Early Bowie is a 4 hole (plexi) Marshall I think. Problem is the are big and very loud in the sweet spot. Most recordings (older) they put the amp in a room and turn it up. Hard to do at lower volume. However the SV I am guessing takes pedals well and that could allow you to drive the power section enough.
    Someone hear who has one could define this better.

I think it is behind Ronson

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  9. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Of the 4 you listed, the Studios will give the best tone. But, you're an at home player and even though most of your examples are back in the day you sound like you like variety even still.

I say Origin 20H. It has built in attenuation, .5, 3 and 20 watt settings. Has taken any pedal I've put into it well. Buyer's remorse should be nothing because it's not expensive and has even been on sale recently. I run mine into several cabinets but for home use i use an open back 1x12 with a G12M20 Heritage Celestion. 96db speaker which also helps a little volume wise, can crank the amp a little more, and sounds really good with it.

tce63 likes this.
  10. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Here it is

quick, who has the DSL animation video? post it. lol
    welcome to the forum!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    AlvisX and tce63 like this.
  11. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Run!!! Once you get one Marshall it's like a virus you want more...

SkyMonkey and tce63 like this.
  12. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

There are quite a few replacement 10" speakers available, if you don't like the G10-VT Jr that comes stock in the Studio combos.

tce63 likes this.
  13. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

ok, I really do own a DSL40CR and love it. I shouldn't post this... :)

n

Ryszard, Crikey and tce63 like this.
  14. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

That video is funny. To the OP the point is there are so many good choices that you really cannot go wrong.

nickfox and tce63 like this.
  15. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Active Member

"The way I see it, the choice I have to make is if I want to go more 'vintage' or slightly more 'modern' and then low end or high end."

"I can get a ridiculously good deal on the SC20 combo right now but I am very spooked by the 10" speaker."

The SC20 is right where you want to be IMO. And you've said you can get a ridiculously good deal! If you want to spend less the DSL20 will do and not everyone had problems with these. A factory service fix seems to take care of that. They come with a 5 year warranty too!

tce63 likes this.
  16. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

There are individual threads for all the amps you mentioned so you might want to check those out. My current setup is a origin 20h into one or two 1x12 cabs with V30s. Im not a fan of 10" guitar speakers so I didn't go with the combo. The origin should do everything your asking. Some people don't like the power scaling but I think it works just fine. The .5w setting breaks up right away, 20w stays clean the longest and 5w is somewhere in the middle. I do clean boost mine always and use an overdrive for "The Metulz".

tce63 likes this.
  17. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Don’t let 10” speakers scare you. Plenty of bass at living room level. I’m partial to the jcm800 series and play my 50 watt versions at home at low volume through a 2x10 Fender cab. My vote is for the SC20. The master volume works great, no need for an attenuator.

tce63 likes this.
  18. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm gonna suggest one of the Studio amps is your best bet and get a 2x12, something else to consider you can find half the price is a used Vintage Modern or JCM900. :yesway:

Hey and welcome to the forum!

tce63 likes this.
  19. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Welcome! How much do you want to spend on this new amp? Is it a stepping stone or a keeper? Do you want a combo or head and cab? Do you need to see Marshall on the amp or are you after the tone? You will need a master volume amp to play low and still get the sound you want. The Studio line is ok but for the price you can get real good high end amps that are handmade point to point wiring that are much more versatile. These are amps you could keep for a lifetime and can be easily worked on if ever they need it. I would take a good look at these amps. I bought one called a Chupacabra 50w head and would not let go of it for anything Marshall makes, they simply don't make anything to compete with it. I can play it at very low volumes with great sound, or blow the windows out with even better sound. For your needs I would look at these 3:
    http://www.ceriatone.com/ceriatone-son-of-yeti/
    http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2202/
    The 3rd one has no picture but you can call them and they will make you a 20w Chupacabra just like the Son Of Yeti, just voiced a little different. There is a guy here that can tell you about both the Chupa and the SOY 20w units, he had both and they sounded awesome. These can be had in combos as well. The 2202 is supposed to be a great JCM800 type amp but more versatile, the other 2 are modded Plexi type amps that are super versatile. And of course there are a tone more. Take a look at the price and pictures of the guts, their workmanship is second to none. Main page: http://www.ceriatone.com/ Good luck with your choice.

tce63 likes this.
  20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Either of the Studio series amps will get you where you want to be.
    Welcome to the forum
    Cheers
    Mitch

tce63 and Sapient like this.