Hello. My Name Is Torren61 And I'm A Gear Addict...

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice collection of some very great gear.
Any plans on adding a V ?

Thank you. You know, I borrowed a Flying V for about a week and I gotta say that I just didn't like anything about it. There's only one way to play it while sitting, I don't care for the shape, I didn't care for the Dirty Fingers pickups either. So I don't really see one in my future.

I AM considering selling something to fund a Jaguar or just waiting for xmas. It would be an '87-'89 USA one that would be interesting to me.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you. You know, I borrowed a Flying V for about a week and I gotta say that I just didn't like anything about it. There's only one way to play it while sitting, I don't care for the shape, I didn't care for the Dirty Fingers pickups either. So I don't really see one in my future.

I AM considering selling something to fund a Jaguar or just waiting for xmas. It would be an '87-'89 USA one that would be interesting to me.
Fair enough, I love mine and to play sitting I use the strap and sit on a barstool, Jaguars are cool guitars though.
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers
Mitch

Ramo

Reaction score
... or at least I'm beginning to think so. In my defense, almost all of these are overtime trophies. Plus, I don't gamble or do drugs or sink money into cars or boats and we're always putting money into savings from every check. I'm maxing out my 401k and the only loan we have is our mortgage.

Left to right. 25th anniversary PRS McCarty, 2005 American Deluxe Strat, 1970 ES-335, 1999 SG Supreme, 1999 Les Paul Standard, 2019 Redwood Tele Partscaster
View attachment 94703

1976 Ibanez Custom Agent, 2003 PRS Soapbar SE, Red Special Tele Tribute, PartsCaster, 80s Greco TRB, PartsCaster
View attachment 94704

Ventura V-6, Epiphone EJ-160E, 1999 Taylor 814CE, Kelley Mandolin, '76 Conn SB. Not shown is a '87 Martin 000-18 in the shop for a neck reset and other maintenance and a '73 Precision Bass in the shop for a headstock refinish and the correct decal put on.
View attachment 94705

Top to bottom. Filmosound 1X12 Fane A90, '79 Bassman 70, '91 Crate Vintage 50
View attachment 94706

de Lisle Studio 15P and matching 2X12 cab G12H Celestions, '73 Marshall Lead JMP50, '53 Champ Amp, '60 Ampeg Rocket R-12, Emery SuperBaby with 1X10 Weber, '75 Music Man 65R behind the Ampeg
View attachment 94707

'69 Bassman, '64 Fender 2X10 Oxford cab, '73 Marshall 1960 cab, Traynor 4X10 Weber cab
View attachment 94708

'73 Champ, '65 Princeton Reverb, MonkeyMatic Supro clone, '62 Fender Pro, Bogen 100 watt PA behind the Pro
View attachment 94709

Marshall 4X12 cab, Swart AST MKII Master
View attachment 94710

'88 Evans Custom FET 500, Early 70s Music Man 4X12 cab
View attachment 94711

Filmosound 1X12 Celestion Alnico Blue, Fender 1X15 Weber
View attachment 94712

If I didn't work so much, I'd have more time to play but then I wouldn't make spare cash to buy more guitars and amps that I don't have enough time to play.

Oh well. My son and my grandkids are going to end up with a pretty decent collection.
You have no V, you need to change that.

Nice gear tho and welcome!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
After the Old fire me and my son were working up by lake Arrowhead for a number of months.
Cheers
I worked up there before, during & after...

My main job was doing glass works. Typically, I did high dollar glasswork, like showers, mirrors, bars & custom windows.

When the fire happened, we had to fix a lot of stuff during the fire. We were one of the few crews they'd let in past the fire block. The guy I worked w/, his brother was the fire commander though. He was the chief of chiefs, for SB Co. He was the one talking between the Governor & the other chiefs...

That fire was gross negligence & the predictable happening, as the moratorium on not thinning the forest, caused an unusually big swarm of bark beetles, that killed off millions of trees, leaving them as dead standing trees, which were ripe for tinder kindling...

When that started, my brother (down in No SB) was evacuated almost immediately. Then it ran up the mtn in record speed. The trees knocked a bunch of power lines down, but, also, the fire just incinerated them...

I used to have a bunch of pictures, but the files are long gone now...

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

My main job was doing glass works. Typically, I did high dollar glasswork, like showers, mirrors, bars & custom windows.

When the fire happened, we had to fix a lot of stuff during the fire. We were one of the few crews they'd let in past the fire block. The guy I worked w/, his brother was the fire commander though. He was the chief of chiefs, for SB Co. He was the one talking between the Governor & the other chiefs...

That fire was gross negligence & the predictable happening, as the moratorium on not thinning the forest, caused an unusually big swarm of bark beetles, that killed off millions of trees, leaving them as dead standing trees, which were ripe for tinder kindling...

When that started, my brother (down in No SB) was evacuated almost immediately. Then it ran up the mtn in record speed. The trees knocked a bunch of power lines down, but, also, the fire just incinerated them...

I remember it being a very smoky place and I wanted nothing to do with it.

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you work there when they had the "Old" fire, around 2006?
I started working there around 2005, IIRC. The fire you're talking about happened in OCT of 2003. I worked for an electrical utility contractor in Lake Arrowhead and then got a job with the local electrical utility in Big Bear. It had already been through there at least a year before I hired on.

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

One of our jobs as a contractor was to remove any low voltage house services from any trees and install a utility pole. The service lines had absolutely nothing to do with the trees dying but try telling that to some people.

I was running a crew when I worked for Bear Valley Electric Service and we were to trim tress around the lines. We set up to trim a few branches of pines when a lady came charging out of her house.

Her: "I don't want you to cut a single branch! Do you hear me?"

Me: "Yes, ma'am. But I'd like to point out something to you. See that branch about three feet above the high voltage line? Well, that's gonna load with snow this winter and most likely bend down under the weight of the snow into the line and cause an outage. Now, your house feeds from that transformer over there. Two people are on that transformer, you and your neighbor. If it snows that hard, we're most likely going to have outages all over the valley so we're going to have to triage the outages based on the number of people out of power per transformer. I don't know of any other transformer in the whole valley with only two customers on it. That means you and your neighbor are going to be the very last people in the valley that are going to get their power back on and that could take three or four days. But, if I cut that limb and that limb and maybe that one there, those limbs won't get into the high voltage lines and your power will come on when we get this main line back on. Just like everybody else.

Her: "You cut whatever you need to cut."

Me: "Yes, ma'am."

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember it being a very smoky place and I wanted nothing to do with it.

Fires are miserable. It's exciting for the first few hours and then it's hard to breathe. It's smokey and filthy and depressing. And that's just when you don't even live there. Imagine your house gets destroyed in a fire with all of your photos and memories and gear. Look around your house and mark in your mind all of the things that you can't replace with ANY amount of money.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I started working there around 2005, IIRC. The fire you're talking about happened in OCT of 2003. I worked for an electrical utility contractor in Lake Arrowhead and then got a job with the local electrical utility in Big Bear. It had already been through there at least a year before I hired on.
I didn't do a whole lot of work in Big Bear, but Running Springs has a lot of their wire underground, so they didn't have as much problems.

That really is a good part of some solutions. It takes a lot of will, for gov to work w/ utility & then convince land owners that they should dig up their land...

When the Old fire blew through Cedar Glen, it it caused a lot of century old problems in the making...

There was about 150 hunting cabins built in the late 1800s/early 1900s. The problem is, they were built within inches of each other. The codes have changed so, that, when the fire blew out 95% of the homes, people weren't allowed to build back.

Usually, when your house burns down, you still own the land. In this case, most 2 house lots were turned into 1 & sometimes 3 into 1. So, when it came to settling, 1, or 2 people lost their land, for each rebuild settlement.

So, who lost their property & who got to keep?

Yep, lawsuits galore...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
One of our jobs as a contractor was to remove any low voltage house services from any trees and install a utility pole. The service lines had absolutely nothing to do with the trees dying but try telling that to some people.

I was running a crew when I worked for Bear Valley Electric Service and we were to trim tress around the lines. We set up to trim a few branches of pines when a lady came charging out of her house.

Her: "I don't want you to cut a single branch! Do you hear me?"

Me: "Yes, ma'am. But I'd like to point out something to you. See that branch about three feet above the high voltage line? Well, that's gonna load with snow this winter and most likely bend down under the weight of the snow into the line and cause an outage. Now, your house feeds from that transformer over there. Two people are on that transformer, you and your neighbor. If it snows that hard, we're most likely going to have outages all over the valley so we're going to have to triage the outages based on the number of people out of power per transformer. I don't know of any other transformer in the whole valley with only two customers on it. That means you and your neighbor are going to be the very last people in the valley that are going to get their power back on and that could take three or four days. But, if I cut that limb and that limb and maybe that one there, those limbs won't get into the high voltage lines and your power will come on when we get this main line back on. Just like everybody else.

Her: "You cut whatever you need to cut."

Me: "Yes, ma'am."
the problem in Arrowhead, they put a moratorium that for every tree cut down, you had to plant 10 in it's place, somewhere in the forest, or on your property.

It made the forest too dense. Typically, in Big Bear, they had the opposite thinning program, where, if a couple tree's branches crossed each other, they cut one down.

So, when the big bark beetle infestation happened, they were able to simply breed freely & go from tree to tree to tree.

If they would have practiced thinning, like Big Bear, the beetles would have not had as much of an impact, because they'd be confined to their 1 tree. So, the infestation would have still happened, but the numbers would have probably been 1/5 of the trees.

I saw many trees just collapse, before the fire. One time we were eating lunch & a pine tree just fell right over - thankfully it didn't whack us.

But, yeah, those trees fell through houses, blocked off roadways, etc.

The loggers were working overtime before the fire, but, even though they were working their asses off, they couldn't get it done in time to avoid that fire.

There was even guys from big equipment companies that got moved up their, from Johnson & Caterpillar, etc. They made out too, but then the fire...

Then it met up w/ the Grand Prix fire & another one in LA & the whole mtns from San Bernardino to LA were ablaze...

ibmorjamn

Reaction score

Ouch , Jaguar ? Ok

Latest posts