Head or combo, which is best?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Yoshiii, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Head or a combo ???? Let me go away and think about that one , lol .

scozz likes this.
  2. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Both might be the best of both worlds combo and a closed back cab. Combos distribute more sound better than a directional cab huh maybe?:)

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  3. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Fenders and Supros? Combos. Marshalls? C’mon lol...

4. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I like a combo with a matching cab, very versatile. Combos are great for grab and go, and I like to put all the extras in the back of them. When you need a little more just set it on the cab. I also like wheels on the bottom so you can roll it, like Mesa.

5. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

So, a 4x12 sounds no different than a single 10 or 12...or even a 2x12? It must be the 2 trips to the car that’s the problem.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Yeah, never had an issue with "walking" myself. For some, it seems to be more difficult than carrying nearly twice the weight at once.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  7. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

Head

More flexibility with speaker cabs and speakers.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. junk

junk New Member

After many years of combo, once I started I wanted different sounds, I then realised that head plus cab would have been a more flexible solution. As it would have allowed me to keep the amp and add a new one (also cheaper budgetwise).
    To free some space I had to sell my combo and buy a head and a combo, since then I added/tested, at will, different heads without the need for extra space. It would have been more "complicated" with a combo.
    For me at no time, the flexibility of transporting the equipment was the driver, it was rather space.
    I could have used the combo as a cab, but I did not like the idea to leave unplugged the amp and the risk to turn it on without a speaker.

9. KidBlast

KidBlast Member

I was just here a few months back, I went with the head and cab this time (I like 2x12s personally I have a 1996 circa JTM60 combo, It's a nice amp, but it doesn't scream like a JVM501H and a 1936V cab do.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  10. Derrick111

Derrick111 Well-Known Member

Car or pickup truck... which is better? Well same answer applies to the OPs question. Both are great, and it depends on your needs. Simple as that. And like the vehicle analogy, there are pros and cons to both, but nothing that make one "better". Just better for "you". Mainly, the head with a closed back cab can be louder (more directional), can sound punchier and more solid (read less loose/flabby at higher volumes). The combo is more portable. Yet some would argue the opposite, because it really depends on the person and situation. So you have to go try both and then decide which sounds best and is physically best for you yourself, as we cannot possibly know this for you.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  11. kinleyd

kinleyd Well-Known Member

I prefer getting the head + cab option because it is easier to move around as two pieces; I live far from tech support (a whole flight away) and I figure hauling just the head would be easier when it reaches that time; and I like the extra input/output options that heads provide over combos particularly with regard to placing something like the Ox amp in between.

12. Yoshiii

Yoshiii Member

Thanks for everyones reply. I forgot about hooking a attenuator to the amp. Maybe head cabinet will be better.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Both of my combos sit on top of MG 4-12 cabs.
    Those are the only combos I own.
    Dsl40c’s the rest is all heads and 4-12 MG cabs.
    Thanks

SkyMonkey and fitz288 like this.
  14. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

My Lil dsl5cr has a connection between amp and speaker, and it's an easy mod to do to my vox if I need to.

15. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I don’t think there is a right answer to this. Its trial and error based on the amp you’re buying. I usually buy heads with cabs but I’ve been very pleased with the combos i chose. My JCM800 4103, a vintage amp, is a 2x12 combo and is the best sounding JCM800 I ever played. Its magical. I’ve had several JCM800 heads previously over the years. Thats just an example. My advice is try before you buy especially when buying new.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  16. colchar

colchar Well-Known Member

I have one word for you - Bluesbreaker.

PelliX likes this.
  17. colchar

colchar Well-Known Member

I was a combo only guy for a long time. Now I have a JVM and a 1960. But I also have a Traynor YCV50 and will be grabbing the 1x12 extension cab for that.

If I had to choose, I'd probably say that I still prefer combos but there is no right or wrong answer to this question.

Kinkless Tetrode and SkyMonkey like this.
  18. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Head. Because you can buy as many different kinds of cabinets as you want, and not have to buy another amplifier built into each one of them.

kinleyd likes this.
  19. S.A.T.O.

S.A.T.O. Well-Known Member

I’ve been gigging regularly since the 90’s. I have a 1997 JCM 2000 DSL half stack that as been with me since 2000. I NEVER use it in the house for practice or recording. I have used that rig at every show I’ve done for 20 years or so and I always thought I’d never use anything else...
    Earlier this year after a lot of clubs in my area closed and went out of business due to Covid we started booking in new places, most of them with tight set up spaces for a 5 piece band.
    The half stack was just not practical at these gigs. I went out and bought a DSL 40 combo, played around with the sound and got it pretty close to the tone I have with the head.
    It was wonderful to not lug the cabinet around, the combo is so light compared and I didn’t notice much of a difference in my tone nor did my regulars that come see us.
    Get both LoL

SkyMonkey, Aahzz and kinleyd like this.
  20. Johan

Johan Member

1 x 12 or 2 x 10 = combo
    2 x 12, 4 x 10, 4 x 12 = head + cab.

Just my €0.02