Haven't seen that for years

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by LRT#1, Jul 7, 2019.

1. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

Was driving down the road today and saw a cassette tape blown up in the weeds. It brought back memories of being a child in the 80s and 90s. Made me remember getting my lisence and cursing around listening to my old tape deck. Having to rewind to here that song again. I remember getting a new album to check out then finding it sucked now you cant take it back so out the window it goes. Great times

2. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    I got a huge box of cassettes in the back storage. Don't use them but can't make myself throw them away.
    I used to carry an AM/FM cassette walkman like 7 years ago wit Lynch Mob or Don Dokken up from the ashes in the tape deck.

3. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

I’ve still got a couple hundred cassettes. They’re becoming collectible again just like vinyl. I won big when I kept buying everything on vinyl available throughout the 90’s. My grunge collection alone is probably worth $10k easily. Some bands are still making cassettes too and there’s a national cassette store day at record shops every year. I bought a couple high end nakamichi and denon cassette decks off of eBay for pennies just in case. Call me crazy but I just have a soft spot for shitty, dragging, hissy cassettes that I grew up with. Lol

Mitchell Pearrow, LRT#1 and netlocal like this.
  4. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I rarely have to hit busy roads for my afternoon jogs, but when I do it's both sad and interesting to see the rubbish down in the wash outs along the way, I see all kinds of stuff...last year, just like the OP, I specifically remember seeing and laughing at a Motley Crue cassette in the gully, brought back memories...I wondered how it got there, was it some older guy like myself that pitched it out the window because the player ate the tape? Did it fall off the back of a truck while someone was moving? Just the fact that it was still in good enough shape to read the info says someone cared for that thing for a looong time (not to mention the vehicle that tape player resides in lol). Either way, it was a nice little distraction.

5. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

I started buying music when CD's were all the rage, so I have more CD's than cassettes. When I started driving they weren't putting CD players in vehicles yet, so most of my cassettes are dubs from my CD's or mix tapes. I have a lot of ACDC cassettes that my uncle dubbed from his CD's. He's no longer with us, so I'll never get rid of those.

6. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I hate cassettes so much... terrible quality, pits to find the music you want to listen. I have no nostalgia at all. Actually I don't have any nostalgia for CDs either. God bless streaming services.

LRT#1 likes this.
  7. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, there was only reel-to-reel. 8 track tapes sounded fabulous! Never had an issue with cassettes. At least the music was analog.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  8. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

It's crazy here where I live theres trash left all over the place in the bar pits. Let alone people dumping there garbage in big piles. That really pisses me off, low lives. A lot of it is the crackheads here.

As for the cassette tapes getting eaten that always pissed me off. It was never the tapes you didnt care for, it was always the good album's.

I've still got a handful of cassettes in storage probably wont ever get rid of them. Think I still have a pile of finals somewhere at my old mansion place. Hope he didnt toss them. I remember listening to the scorpions album with hurricane over and over

Derek S and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

Wish I still had the old 8 track player and music collection

Mitchell Pearrow and 67Mopar like this.
  10. 67Mopar

...and a pair of Jensen Triax speakers.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  11. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

All my cassettes got left behind when we bought our house in 2001, 8 tracks where dumped in about 1984, vinyl was given away in 01 as well :shrug:

12. Cadorman

Cadorman Well-Known Member

I had a Harman Kardon deck with Dolby HX Pro and thought it was so cool back in the day.

13. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

I remember my family had one of these when I was a kid. Then we upgraded to a Fisher home stereo when CD first came out. It had a disc charger, dual tape deck, and a record player. Some prick stole it when we were on vacation.

texascm.jpg

Mitchell Pearrow and 67Mopar like this.
  14. 67Mopar

That console brings back many fond memories. I watched The Beatles on Ed Sullivan on it. My favorite song to play on it was this...

Mitchell Pearrow and LRT#1 like this.
  15. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I still have a cassette tape of an old demo I made decades ago... I dont have a cassette player anymore....

16. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

That sux man, same here, only the opposite, my old singer still has a rather pristine dual Teac cassette deck we shared, but for the life of me, I cannot find a 4 song demo (cassette) from our old band, and it was really well recorded/produced (we paid a pretty penny for it). Every friend I'm still in contact with from that band would love to have a digital copy of that demo, grrr.

Mitchell Pearrow and LRT#1 like this.
  17. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I have lots recorded from vinyl on good quality tapes. TDK SA90s etc. For convenience, someday I will dub them to the computer. Have a Nakamichi BX300 deck.

Mitchell Pearrow, Derek S and LRT#1 like this.