Have a chance for a 2002 Gibson LP classic

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by LKrevival, Oct 28, 2013.

1. LKrevival

LKrevival New Member

Guys I got it tonight it looks pretty much acidvoodoo's LP though it has a couple of nice dings on the top side.

I need to change out the strings and give it a cleaning rub down the stings on it now are old and the stings goes out of tune with a single bend when playing.

Yeah I knew I'd later regret it if I didn't get but I am feeling a bit of guilt since that money could have gone to a couple dental crowns or remodeling the bathroom or some car repairs but meh.:D

Georgiatec likes this.
  2. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

Tommy Boy, the double cut has a very different feel when you play standing up. the platform of a guitar is VERY important.
    the LP has a balance and feel that is REALLY GOOD!
    I would be weary of the double cut. there is a reason why they doesn't sell as many numbers of them. If it does feel good to wear it doesn't matter how much money it is.

Tommy Boy likes this.
  3. dreyn77

LK, with all the other stuff you want to buy, they are not good deals! They are going to rip you off! The LP is a sweet deal!
    When the money is flowing out the door you'll be able to play the blues!

4. dreyn77

I'd put a little bit of fret board oil on that LP classic Acidvoodoo. it looks a little dry.
    (and all the wooden hand tools in the work shop/ shed. oil once a year)

5. acidvoodoo

acidvoodoo Well-Known Member

Damn, if you got a plus top like mine for a grand that's an INSANE deal :hbang:

6. LKrevival

LKrevival New Member

Actually yours looks a bit more elite with tiger striping it seems, mine is more basic wood look with the same color scheme overall. Anyway it has a decent weight to it which I like I don't like light weight Les Paul's although it is no where the weight of my 2006 LP custom which I adore that guitar.

Mine looks more similar to this one here....

http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...igi=125otl6qn&.crumb=d/DdL1SSbYL&fr=yfp-t-122

7. acidvoodoo

acidvoodoo Well-Known Member

Cool, my first Gibson LP was the plain top classic just like that one. I loved it but ended up trading it when I found the plus top. Mines pretty hefty at 9.6lbs

8. dreyn77

My 76 LP custom is 11+ pound!
    The guitar just sits there and you play around it.
    It's got this brilliant snap to all the notes.
    I have a 6 and a half pounder as well, but it feels totally different and sounds very different. Definitely NOT a Zakk Wylde stadium guitar. I do love to play it though. It's got a factory 'V' neck. I always notice that neck when I play it.

9. LKrevival

LKrevival New Member

Any guilt I had is gone away now. After jamming on it all weekend and also playing it lying on the bed while watching movies I had a chance to really caress and play it and run my hands across it and it is a real good guitar I am liking.

It feels like quality Gibson, nice sleek playing neck , excellent heavy weight, nice wood with a quality finish and build even if it is a plain maple top and the honey burst color is a nice shade tone.

So looking around on the net info told me that it is basically a LP standard in tradition type sense but with different inlay which is more cloudy than "green" and with different pickups than PAF, I think I scored a nice LP.

There is nothing cheezy or "cheap" about the quality in my opinion, too bad the last owner put a couple of deep dings on it but then again so what.

Georgiatec likes this.
  10. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    My '04 Classic is on the right below. It's still my No.1 go to guitar....Love it, piss coloured inlays 'an all. :wub:

[​IMG]

The original ceramic pick ups are long gone though...not my cup of tea :coffee: There are a set of Burstbucker Pro's in there now. :yesway:

11. dreyn77

OH man Burst Bucker Pros! Those LP's must be SO GOOD! Enjoy them!
    The yellow button tuners would look great on that sunburst LP.

A plain top can be just as nice as a flame/quilt top.

12. chadd

chadd New Member

You got a great deal on a great guitar. It's not a "collectible", but who cares? They're tools and meant to be used. Since the last owner already put a couple dings in it for you, you don't even have to go through that awkward phase where you baby it and try to avoid putting the first scratch on it. Now you can just skip ahead to the part where you play the hell out of it.