Has anyone seen this style of Marshall Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Tim Cook, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Tim Cook

Tim Cook New Member

Hey, I was hoping someone out there would have the knowledge to identify/ authenticate my fathers vintage Marshall cabinet. He thinks its a 1968 and has told me it has 4 Celestian Greenback 30Watt speakers inside. It is a 4x12 slanted version and has metal pivoting handles which I haven't been able to find anywhere else leading me to question it's authenticity. If anyone could let me know what they think of it I'd appreciate anyone's opinion.

3.png 2.png

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2020
    eastsidecincy and StingRay85 like this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

:welcome:to the forum...

I embedded the images in the body of the post, so people wouldn't have to click on them to see them...

:cheers:

mAx___ and Tim Cook like this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

I'm not an expert, by any means, but, some things do not appear right, like the handles & the emblem.

You'll probably have to take the rear panel off & take pictures of the inside of the cab & some clear images of the speakers, w/ the code stamps on them, etc.

If this is a Marshall, maybe it had the leather handles on the top?

Are there holes for handles on there?

4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Without pictures of the internals I don't think that it can be dated exactly. The speakers and their condition will be crucial to its value (if that is what you are enquiring about).
    It looks like a 66-67 A cab that would have had two strap handles on the top (near the gold string). Whether it was a 1960, 1982 or 1935 model will depend on the original speakers. I think I can see two broken pins of a 100 logo in the top left corner.
    Unfortunately the added handles (and of course their screws) are not original (could be worse a lot got routed out for plastic handles!). The large logo is also not original (hopefully just glued on and not extra holes drilled?). Originally a 6" gold logo.
    Inside it should have G12 Celestion speakers with dark green platic magnet covers and gold labels, either G12M20w or G12H25w if they are original (although I do know that Marshall Bass cabs in late 67/early 68 had Goodmans speakers.
    An original cab undrilled with strap handles, intact original logo and original speakers in good condtion would fetch some thousands of pounds/dollars even with the other cosmetic damage.
    I suggest you carefully open the back (really try to avoid stripping out the old screws) and take some pictures of the speakers, the labels and the cabinet construction (and underneath to see if it had chrome glides or wheels). Even if it has had replacement speakers they may be half decent.

5. Tim Cook

Tim Cook New Member

Thanks for all the insight about my fathers cabinet. It seems the cabinet does not have any sort of straps on the top of it but I'll have to open it up and get some pictures soon so I can learn more about its history, I'll make another post soon with my findings and pictures of the speakers/ interior.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  6. Dogs of Doom

just be careful taking the rear panel off. Sometimes (most times) they are real tight & need some prying & exerted force to get them loose. You don't want to damage the tolex (covering) further. If you can get a flat knife in there & help loosen it up & do light prying, it might help. I've used the screws, in their respective holes, by cranking them at an angle & pulling outward. You might have to take the input jack assemble off, to tug on the hole.

Not to scare you, but, to give you an idea, that it might be a little difficult to break the seal loose, as it's been mates for 20+ years (40?) & they are generally tight fitted to begin w/...

If you have any problems, some here might be able to give you hints...

7. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

That's an amazing looking cabinet. If the speakers are original and in good working condition (I hope it was not stored in a cold humid shed for 40 years), people will be standing in line to buy this piece of Marshall history from you.

8. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Very nice cab, I get the feeling Tim has some private messages already and I guess (know) they're not from regular posters here on the forum.

Looking forward to seeing the next pictures, some genuine help will be given forward too.

9. Sapient

Sapient Life Coach & Birthday       Planner Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

?? Are you allowed to do that?? :hmm:

Lol.

Jk ...Doom. :cheers:

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  10. Sapient

Sapient Life Coach & Birthday       Planner Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Welcome, OP. :)

:welcome:

11. Tim Cook

Tim Cook New Member

So...I've opened up the cabinet and found some alarming results. After removing many miss matched/ bent screws I found what seems to be a knock off Marshall made some time in the late sixties/early seventies. You can see in the images provided with the imagur link that the Cabinet contains four non labeled speakers joined with doge'y wiring and signed by a person named "Ralph J. Dillon". This cabinet was bought second hand from a music store in Halifax Nova Scotia Canada in the seventies. Either they didn't know of its authenticity or purposely sold a fake all those years ago. The input jack cover seems to have an old phone number on it and right below it a piece of a plastic plate remains of which use to contain some sort of writing. The Cabinet weighs a ton, looks killer and sounds great so it is hard to believe that this isn't what it was thought to be for all these years. I'd assume the exact year of construction would be impossible to find now but I still wonder if the speakers inside are of any value since they do sound great with my fathers actual Marshall head. Another Idea of the history of this cabinet could lead back many decades when my father use to rent the cabinet out to big concerts in the area, perhaps there was a swap made and my father unknowingly was frauded of his actual Cabinet and returned a good fake. My father never had reason to doubt/ inspect his cabinet since he bought it from a reputable music store, wouldn't of had anything to compare it to and is the furthest thing from a "gearhead". Anyway any more thoughts are encouraged as I cant help but say I'm a bit disappointed and feel bad for my father who has been playing with his same gear for almost four decades and has now learned it is not what he thought.

The Pictures I took of the cabinets interior.
    h ttps://imgur.com/a/1HQIyBS
    (I broke up the link since I cant post it due to having a new account)

12. StingRay85

Wow those speakers are a massive bummer. Looks like a Fane PA speaker

Brad darrington and Fretts like this.
  13. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Cab still looks very cool, I can't see the new pic's though.

14. StingRay85

15. Tim Cook

Tim Cook New Member

Yeah, they still sound great though. My father and I are only wondering now how much better they should have been sounding all this time..

16. StingRay85

Even the empty cab can be worth a few thousand, at least if it's a real one

17. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

It's real. Those are goodmans speakers, and probably original to it. It is likely a model 1935 bass cabinet, circa late 66 / early 67, before they started using the T1511 Celestions. Grill is original, but the tolex does not appear to be original. Logo not original. That is still a very cool, high value cab.

Side handles are not original, it would have leather strap handles on top.

18. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Here is a similar period 1935 bass cabinet (ignore the plastic side handles they are not original):

[​IMG]

19. Tim Cook

Tim Cook New Member

Jeez, thank you for all the help guys. I wouldn't know the slightest thing about this vintage gear and couldn't find anything that looks like the cabinet my father has so I assumed it wasn't a Marshall. It seems like his cabinet has an interesting history and everything seems to make sense now. It must have been refinished sometime in the early seventies having work done by the person who signed it "R.J. Dillon" Where it was rewrapped in tolex, new logo added, straps removed and handles added for easier transport. It must have been super beat during its first decade but at least my father can rest easy knowing the damage he's done to the wrap over the years isn't the original. That also makes sense with the new/ less aesthetically pleasing wire job as the speakers were removed at one point, most likely loosing there(Marshall) stickers. Does anyone roughly know the price/rarity of this cabinet, where it was made and what the original backplate below the jack input would have said? Also curios about the wattage of the Goodman speakers inside? My father will likely never sell it but it would be nice to know, I'd love to be able to tell him the history of his amp, he'd be happy to learn anything else about it, thanks again for all the help.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  20. metromutt

metromutt Well-Known Member

Great cab and with the goodmans, pretty rare. My guess is Ralph was the owner and probably the person who recovered it. His name was written before the baffle went in plus I'd be annoyed if someone I commissioned to cover it, scratched their name on my speakers magnet.
    As with most old speakers you would need to take them out and check for coil rub by hand etc. low volume playing will not show up any problems even if all four sound okay, this will add to help give a realistic value. Are there any white ink numbers on the actual paper cone 014 or something?
    Great piece of marshall history.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Drinkingdeath01 likes this.