Has Anyone Been Able To Successfully Cancel Sirrus Xm Radio?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by JimiRules, Apr 5, 2019.

1. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

I have Sirrus radio in my vehicle and last month I got an email from them saying that my service was set to expire and that the card I had on file was expired and needed updated in order for my service to be auto renewed. I'm leasing the vehicle and the lease is set to expire in December, so rather than pay for a full year and not get it, I called them up and told them I just wanted to cancel. They told me that I would get the service till my due date and then it would stop. The due date came and went and the service continued. So I call them today and explain what happened and told them to shut it off. The person on the phone said they would cancel, but I would owe a portion of the cost since the service continued past the due date. I told them that I wouldn't pay since I had already canceled once and they never shut it off. So they tell me that I wouldn't be billed and that it would be shut off. I just went out to my car to reprogram my saved stations, and the Sirrus is still active. :mad:
    Has anyone had this problem with them?

2. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Well-Known Member

The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous
    They are a pain.

When my trial ended they wouldn't cancel unless I gave them a valid CC#.

Called me for months from spoofed numbers.

Sent me threatening snail mail claiming that I never cancelled.

They can take their low fidelity and repetitive programming and take a giant leap.

Never again.

Wooferhead1, JimiRules and Adieu like this.
  3. drriff

drriff Well-Known Member

I had a trial on a new car that I bought but I never sent them any information, thus, no problems.
    However, I do thank you for showing me what can happen if I did happen to sign up.
    I think I'll pass.

JimiRules likes this.
  4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

just make sure that they can't access your accounts. If so, make sure to stop payment, or block them from renewal on your bank's end...

5. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Yeah their quality sucks

Really evident in my Navigator, where even freakin MP3's played over a damn Bluetooth sync still sound worlds better

Been wondering how the hell to unsubscribe

JimiRules and CoyotesGator like this.
  6. JimiRules

They sent an email after my call confirming the cancelation, but it did have the charge in the email after the person on the phone said the charge would be take away. As far as payment info, all they have is an expired credit card, so there's no way they can charge me. As far as I'm concerned I've canceled twice. If they don't want to cut the cord it's on them.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  7. bad565ss

bad565ss Well-Known Member

You're lucky they even spoke to you.
    They usually put you on hold for a while then disconnect you.

Wooferhead1 and JimiRules like this.
  8. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

I opted for the bill me payment method for just this reason. Once they have your credit card you are chasing them. Even then it’s a game. They renew me at 4 times the basic rate. I call and they give me the lowest rate.

DaDoc and JimiRules like this.
  9. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Typical scam from any communications provider. Cable companies / cell phone providers do this all the time.
    They keep it on, when you cancel it.
    Then they threaten to damage your credit rating if you don't pay.

File complaints with local consumer protection. Call the credit card company and dispute any charges they make.
    One of the tools these crooks use is "automatic payments."
    You can also file complaints with FCC, and public utilities commission, etc...

JimiRules likes this.
  10. JimiRules

All they have on file is an expired credit card, so they can't charge that, but I re-read the cancel conformation email they sent and it said they would send me a bill for the portion I "owe" them. It's only $16, but I don't feel that I should pay when I clearly called before the service was supposed to renew and told them I wanted to cancel. It's not my fault they failed to pull the plug. If it's still on today I will call back and tell them to shut it off and I will definitely be keeping the cancelation email they sent that clearly states the service was canceled on 4-5-19, should I need proof.

This is a shame, because I've had their service for 7 years and I really liked it. The only reason I'm canceling is because I'm going to a vehicle that won't run satellite radio.

Mitchell Pearrow and DaDoc like this.
  11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I wouldnt ignore them cuz your credit card is expired, they will continue to bill it month after month and a year from now they will threaten you for nonpayment. If you have any of your cancellation notices I would shove it in their face and threaten legal action on them and report them if they dont cut the $h!t.

DaDoc, MarshallDog and Wooferhead1 like this.
  12. ampmadscientist

Sprint Cellular did the same thing to me.
    I told them to shove it up their asses. I never paid them, and I don't care what (those crooks) they do.

Of course I have more balls than the average cell customer.

Mitchell Pearrow and DaDoc like this.
  13. ampmadscientist

I got 1 more suggestion:
    Write down all the details and record this on: "ripoff report."
    https://www.ripoffreport.com
    I strongly encourage you to file your complaint on this website.

MarshallDog and Dogs of Doom like this.
  14. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

CAN they ding your credit if you dispute charges with your CC company?

15. ampmadscientist

Disputing helps you. And massive numbers of complaints also...no, disputes do not decease credit.
    The more noise you make, the better.

16. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I bought a used mini and returned it straight away in exchange for a service courtesy car when a problem was found.

The used mini had sirrus and somehow my info as the car owner got passed on. I got hounded with junk mail in the post weekly for about half a year. My new car didn't have sirrus activated.

I just put my music collection from my PC in lossless 24 bit 96kHz FLAC format onto my old cell phone via USB and am very happy.

Made me wonder if auto dealers, manufacturers have a deal and share your data with sirrus when you buy a car because I never signed up.

JimiRules likes this.
  17. JimiRules

I went into my account to see what card they have on file, and the one they have no longer exists. I lost it a few months ago and had it canceled and a new one issued with a different number.

I will definitely be doing that. I was in the car earlier today and the I'm still getting the service. I just got off the phone with them and was told the account was canceled and it would take 24 hrs for the service to go away. That will be in about an hour.

18. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Doesnt matter, they have your address, you could get a letter from their legal dept. for non payment, they will have record they charged to that card for a year and you didnt pay, its $h!tty but companies do this it happened to me a couple times over the years, then you gotta waste time fighting it and defending yourself and maybe even ultimately paying it. Bastards...

Dont let up on this until you turn on your radio and the service is actually gone otherwise they will get you.

JimiRules likes this.
  19. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

We got a new RAV4, and along with it came a 3-month free trial.
    I tried forever to activate the trial as I have with other new vehicles online, but there was no way it would let me continue without a CC#. I said OK, I will call. Same thing there, no dice without a CC#. Tried to explain I didn't have a CC and I have activated the free trial in the past, but still no go. SO no free trial for me...

On the other hand, we have a sports car convertible we only drive in the summer (never seen snow) and we activate that one for 5-6 months depending on the deal we can get. Usually 5 months for $25, which is fine, it is about how long we have the car out. My wife handles the transaction, and after the first fiasco similar to the one described above we now mark the expiration date on the calendar and cancel it before it is up.

The key is to get a receipt number or transaction number (whatever they call it) when you cancel so you have a record of your call when or if you need to argue the point. Have never had a problem since doing this.

DaDoc and JimiRules like this.
  20. JimiRules

I will definitely become a pain in their ass if I have to. This whole thing sucks, because like I said, I really dug the service and in a few years I will be looking to getting a newer vehicle and I was planning on going back to it, but that probably won't happen now.

DaDoc and pedecamp like this.