Hardshell OEM case prices. They done gone way up.

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Kutt, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Great points, and the kind of detail I was too lazy to type when I started this thread! hahaha.

I wonder if these kinds of cost cutting measures were done at the direction of Gibson, or the case maker. In this case (no pun intended) I believe it's TKL.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  2. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Origination fees, like cars.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Maybe I'm the exception but If I buy a Guitar, and it comes with a gig bag I don't have a problem spending another $100-200 on a hsc. I usually find a nice used factory correct one on reverb or ebay.

I did this for my Gibson Faded V, and a SGJ, I found correct Gibson USA cases, not the Gibson Gear aftermarket ones. The case for my v only cost me $99...(anyone need a nice epi v case?..I have one..lol)the SG $129 a Prs, An American Special strat. For around the same..All correct Factory cases, not aftermarket.

Imo A nice used case is just as good as a new one. They can be had for a decent price if one looks around a bit.I'm kinda funny about cases.

This sums my feelings up nicely,...I HATE F#CKING GIG BAGS.THE GUY WHO INVENTED THEM SHOULD BE DISEMBOWELED AND STRANGLED WITH HIS OWN ENTRAILS..A GRAND FOR A GUITAR AND IT COMES WITH A GIG BAG???..WHICH ONE OF YOU ASSHOLES CAME UP WITH THAT??.STAND UP YOU GREEDY PRICK!!.:)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  4. MemphisMarshallMan

MemphisMarshallMan Active Member

I was a manager at a MARS Music store many years ago. I was shocked at the differences between our costs and our selling prices on guitar cases and equipment rack cases. We made HUGE margins on those. And I mean HUGE.
    A typical example would be a case we would sell for $150 or so, our cost would be $28. A $300 case we may have $68-74 in it.
    Im sure that hasn't changed all that much in the past decade. Keep that in mind when haggling over a hardshell case or rackcase.
    If you are on a tight budget many times you can buy a cheap house brand hardshell case and upgrade the hardware and have a really nice case for not much cash outlay.

El Gringo, Kutt and tce63 like this.
  5. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

That is only if you take out a loan for your purchase but I am sure it will (soon) encompass giving you the pleasure of making the purchase.

6. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Going rate I guess , this past year I got an Anvil heavy duty road case to ship my Les Paul's to my tech for service and that cost me $700 . Good money spent for peace of mind protection ! As nothing will mess with the Anvil steel !

tce63 likes this.
  7. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Man Mars Music brings back good memories for me as we had one in our mall way back and it was stocked to the gills with top shelf guitars and amps and effect pedals and all the goodies one would want . Really great store . What happened to them ?

tce63 likes this.