Happy Birthday

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to my 1982 Les Paul Custom, it was made on June 2nd 1982!

I was 26 years old when I ordered it in May of 1982, I picked it up in the first week in July.

I had been looking for a Wine Red Custom for quite a while with no luck. I went to quite a few semi-local guitar shops looking for one, but all the places I had been only had Black and/or White, no Wine Red.

By the time I got to the last guitar store on my list, I was ready to give up, but the salesman at Rainbow Music in New Paltz NY, said he could order one in WR if I wanted.

Back in those days there were no Guitar Centers, Musicians Friends, or Sweetwater, or any online store. There wasn’t even an INTERNET then, lol.

There also wasn’t a Gibson Custom shop then either, but you could order a Les Paul in any color that was offered att, so I did.

So happy 40th birthday to my Wine Red LP Custom! Lol!

jeffb

Reaction score
Congrats, that's a fantastic guitar- Shaws?

The current Gibson management really needs to bring back Wine Red as an option for the Standards, and Customs. It's not 50s/1960 vintage, but I do think it's iconic enough to warrant inclusion in the lineup.

I remember the first time I saw a Musicians Friend catalog in the 80s- MAIL ORDER. It was like a gift from God. I can order all this stuff by mail now? No need to deal with jerkwad dealers in my area all the time? wWOOOOOO

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats, that's a fantastic guitar- Shaws?

The current Gibson management really needs to bring back Wine Red as an option for the Standards, and Customs. It's not 50s/1960 vintage, but I do think it's iconic enough to warrant inclusion in the lineup.

I remember the first time I saw a Musicians Friend catalog in the 80s- MAIL ORDER. It was like a gift from God. I can order all this stuff by mail now? No need to deal with jerkwad dealers in my area all the time? wWOOOOOO
Yes, Tim Shaw pickups, Schaller String Winder tuners, Diamond shape strap buttons, flattop nashville bridge. I believe all of these things were only on 1982 Gibson Customs, and the guitar is all stock.

Sorry for the gianormous pics! :shrug:

El Gringo

Reaction score
Yes, Tim Shaw pickups, Schaller String Winder tuners, Diamond shape strap buttons, flattop nashville bridge. I believe all of these things were only on 1982 Gibson Customs, and the guitar is all stock.

Love it and never apologize for showing nice images like yours !

jeffb

Reaction score

Is yours a maple neck?

I had one of the limited run Candy Apple Red Standards from 1982 . Nearly the same guitar as yours but a Standard- flatop nashville*, winder peg tuners*, strap buttons, shaws, and an ebony board. It was essentially a Heritage 80 with 3pc maple neck and ebony fingerboard. Weighed a ton, and had a very thin D neck which I never could gel with, otherwise I would have kept it.

*Despite the small production number Gibson had some without the winder peg tuners and flattop nashville. I'm guessing they were just using up parts. As I recall mine was in the higher 200s--maybe 280s.

Here's a link to a great example 1982 CAR LP Standard

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah @jeffb, a 3- piece maple neck, mine weighs 10.5lbs, yup, the D shaped thin neck.

That’s too bad you didn’t get on with yours,I love mine, everything about it. Although about 6 years ago, I started not liking the low wide frets that came on these. I used to like them, I preferred them, then I didn’t.

So I had a refret done about 4 years ago, and that gave it a whole new life! It was incredible, it played flawlessly again, I’m so happy I did it. :agreed:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Happy Birthday to my 1982 Les Paul Custom, it was made on June 2nd 1982!

I was 26 years old when I ordered it in May of 1982, I picked it up in the first week in July.

I had been looking for a Wine Red Custom for quite a while with no luck. I went to quite a few semi-local guitar shops looking for one, but all the places I had been only had Black and/or White, no Wine Red.

By the time I got to the last guitar store on my list, I was ready to give up, but the salesman at Rainbow Music in New Paltz NY, said he could order one in WR if I wanted.

Back in those days there were no Guitar Centers, Musicians Friends, or Sweetwater, or any online store. There wasn’t even an INTERNET then, lol.

There also wasn’t a Gibson Custom shop then either, but you could order a Les Paul in any color that was offered att, so I did.

So happy 40th birthday to my Wine Red LP Custom! Lol!

That guitar would go really nice with my 1982 2204 :yesway:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Beautiful! Thing still looks mint! Happy Birthday indeed! Must be like an old best friend.
I honesty never knew wine red was a color till I found my 1976 last year.
I really like that color and you can see the grain.

Show us some more body pics!!

Here is mine, not to hijack your thread.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful! Thing still looks mint! Happy Birthday indeed! Must be like an old best friend.

Gorgeous buddy, love the beautiful maple grain showing through!

jmp45

Reaction score

Wow JR, me likey.. Here is my 76 pancake deluxe hacked to a standard. 300 lbs I think..;)

lp_deluxe.jpg

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow JR, me likey.. Here is my 76 pancake deluxe hacked to a standard. 300 lbs I think..;)

lp_deluxe.jpg
Nice @jmp45!

My very first Lp was a 1971 “pancake” Deluxe in Clownburst. I was 15 years old and I saved my money and bought it myself, it was $375 including a HSC! Cool looking Lp Jmp, there’s something classy about WR with cream plastics.

Here’s a straight on view, (similar to your pic and @Jethro Rocker s’), of my Custom,…

I found an old photo a few months back of me at a rehearsal with my band sometime in 1971 or 72. I’m playing my Clownburst Deluxe,…

Torren61

Reaction score

I like big pics and I cannot lie...

Latest posts