Guitar trade question

chromeboy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am selling my Schecter PT. It's less than a year old and in perfect condition. It plays great and sounds great but the Tele style body just doesn't work for me. Ok, so this guy contacts me and want to know if I would be willing to trade him for a 2007 schecter c-1 exotic star guitar. I had not seen one of those but looked them up. They're pretty cool looking and he sent pics which look clean but I wonder if trading him for an older guitar would be a good thing.

I was also thinking of going to GC and seeing what I can get in a trade. I was interested in a schecter omen elite 6. Now my Schecter and the omen elite are pretty close in price. I know GC won't give me what I paid for it so I would have to shell out a little cash but then I would be getting a new guitar as opposed to getting a guitar this is 14 years old.
So what do you guys think?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
GC gives pennies on the dollar... (¢/$)

You'll be lucky to get 20% of what it's worth. They take them in, w/ the idea that they have to mark them up, to pay commission & make profit...

When they can buy them new, for cheaper than they sell them used, why would they pay more for a used one?

For example, let's say you have a Boss pedal that's typically $100. GC buys them for $20. How much do you think that they'd be willing to pay, to buy your used pedal, when they get them for $20?

$10?

maybe...

maybe $5...

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because a guitar is 14 years old doesn't mean it's less than your guitar. I think you are placing to much importance on the dollar value of the trade as opposed to whether the guitar plays great/sounds great/ looks great ect. Try to play it first. If it clicks then do the deal.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am selling my Schecter PT. It's less than a year old and in perfect condition. It plays great and sounds great but the Tele style body just doesn't work for me. Ok, so this guy contacts me and want to know if I would be willing to trade him for a 2007 schecter c-1 exotic star guitar. I had not seen one of those but looked them up. They're pretty cool looking and he sent pics which look clean but I wonder if trading him for an older guitar would be a good thing.

I was also thinking of going to GC and seeing what I can get in a trade. I was interested in a schecter omen elite 6. Now my Schecter and the omen elite are pretty close in price. I know GC won't give me what I paid for it so I would have to shell out a little cash but then I would be getting a new guitar as opposed to getting a guitar this is 14 years old.

I traded in some gear recently at GC (an amp & a guitar).
They list used stuff at around 75% of new, and give you 60% of that.
But I was buying a new guitar off the wall and got 10% off for the trade in, and sales tax on only the new less 10%, less all the trade in stuff.
In my mind, about a wash for what I could sell on Reverb less fees and shipping hassle.
So if your 1 year old Schecter cost say $1,000, they'll list at about $750, and give you $450.
If you think your trade guitar is worth anything more than that, forget GC.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

If the older guitar is something you would rather have, and plays well. Do it.
Cheers

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
GC gives pennies on the dollar... (¢/$)

You'll be lucky to get 20% of what it's worth. They take them in, w/ the idea that they have to mark them up, to pay commission & make profit...

When they can buy them new, for cheaper than they sell them used, why would they pay more for a used one?

For example, let's say you have a Boss pedal that's typically $100. GC buys them for $20. How much do you think that they'd be willing to pay, to buy your used pedal, when they get them for $20?

$10?

maybe...

maybe $5...

big difference in trading and selling to them. its better to trade to them if anything. they will give you more if you do
because they have wiggle room on the trade on the back end. just saying.

GregM

Reaction score
I think I must have misread your original post or there was a big typo in it. You not one of those NTO types are you?
If it was a typo, I'd agree with Mitch and anitoli. Take the trade.
If you are indeed a NTO type, I'd say, go to GC.