Guitar-Speed-Building Advice

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Gianni, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/rlc-ltd/stratisfied[/SC]

This instrumental piece is composed and played by a Marshall Forum member I really don’t like, Blues N Cues, as I can’t play any of the fast lead lines in it to save my life. :D Still, when I grow up, to be an old fart (as I’m not exactly young at the moment), I’d like to be able to play like him. :thumb:

Been there, done that? Share your experience with those of us still struggling.

Are you still trying to get there yourself, but have, nevertheless, made considerable progress over the years? Tell us how you did it.

Every little detail may be of help to someone who might not be going the right way about it.

For example:
    • Did you manage to do it by yourself or with the help of a guitar teacher?
    • How difficult did you find it? How many hours of practice every day? How many years?
    • Do you find a specific type of pick, and way of holding it, more helpful, or can you do it with any pick?
    • Have you come across a YouTube video or online article you found particularly helpful?
    • Do you know a good, preferably musical, exercise for right/left hand coordination, finger strength and dexterity, alternate picking speed, or anything else relevant to playing fast?

And while you’re at it, have a listen to a new tune Blues N Cues has been working on: http://www.marshallforum.com/cellar/75463-hells-renegade.html
    'Still in the rough stages', he says, but already good enough to piss me off. ;)

2. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I just hope I won’t have to sell my soul to the Devil to do it. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8eymimAV8k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8eymimAV8k[/ame]

Redders likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I find that playing 4-8 hours a day for 45 years has improved all aspects of my playing.I aim to play each note, exactly the way it sounds in my head. On day 17,250 of my quest, I'm almost there!
    [​IMG]
    ;>)/

Maklaca, Far Rider, Mshayne and 6 others like this.
  4. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Been playing for 25 years and there are a few things I mightily struggle to achieve... Those ultra-technical geetar wizardry - throw that out of the window...My speed and dexterity aren't the same as they were 10 years ago, I have reached the threshold as far as speed playing and I can't go anywhere faster without sloppiness taking over.... The Jeff Loomis or John Petrucci stuff are too advanced for me.... My guitar background is more of a Tracii Guns King of Sleaze Rock Guitar Playing... I was taught some technical aspect of lead guitar playing, but most of them I have to discover and learn them myself...80% self-taught, 20% taught.... My mentor encouraged me to learn by ear instead of relying on tabs....

As far as fast alternate picking, it took me years to get both hands to coordinate better, so I can get that "one-note-per-pick" and the "upstroke on the next string".... I still struggle on a Paul Gilbert style of sequencing arpeggios where he string skips as opposed to a sweep.... Working to clean it up.... The most difficult style I am trying to achieve is the Frank Gambale picking style... His sweeping techniques is some of the most difficult I have ever seen....The odd-even pattern he uses is puzzling... I can do it very slow, but not up-tempo....

I've gone through multiple pick sizes, shapes and thickness... I recently transitioned from Dunlop 1.40 mm Ultex Sharpie to Ibanez Paul Gilbert picks (1.00 mm small teardrop, slight pointed tip)... I didn't like the Dunlop Jazz II since it doesn't have enough surface area for me grip better..

I am still learning....

Maklaca, Metroman, Gianni and 2 others like this.
  5. tubes

tubes Well-Known Member

Hey Gianni.

What's on your mind?

Sounds to me that you are frustrated about a lack of ability: looking to improve some skills.

For what it's worth I will say you don't need a specific exercise, a specific pick, (nor a special hat....)

"...exercise for right/left hand coordination, finger strength and dexterity..."

I may be speaking out of ignorance here but...

... that question seems both too detailed and too general...

First, let's mirror your set of questions with an alternative set of questions:

What kind of music do you play?
    OR
    What kind of music do you WANT to play?

Do you have some people to play with?

What happens when you play with them? Are they generally happy with what you do or are there complaints?

Well, I suppose I'm just trying to indicate that there is no such thing as the perfect set of "all-purpose guitar skills".

You have to pick your projects. You have to know what genres you are engaged with.

___

I don't know why you say Blues is a member you don't like. He's just doing what he does. And he shares his projects with us.

Just tonight I told him that I listened to his latest with cotton wool in my ears and mad equalizer settings.

Gianni, you said "Every little detail may be of help...'

So I'm just chatting here.

Gianni likes this.
  6. 1neeto

1neeto Well-Known Member

Speed is basically muscle memory. And muscle memory comes with hours and hours of practice. There's just no way around it. Just don't practice fast and sloppy because that's exactly the muscle memory your hand muscles will learn.

I can't play fast to save my life. And I'm starting to be ok with that.

Metroman, riefil, Macro and 1 other person like this.
  7. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

lol.thanx,I guess.:hmm::lol:
    I'm far from fast most of the time & I cheat the rest of the time.
    I damn sure ain't the cleanest player here but I like to play raunchy & loose.it fits what I do most of the time.
    I'm not worth a damn @ copying others stuff either.
    to me I'd rather play tasty licks that fit the mood of the song & play with feeling than be "lightnin' boy" whoever.lol

here's a few pointers and terms to research-
    repetition is key-the same riff over & over(muscle memory)
    Al DiMeola YouTube lessons on picking-economy of motion & picking cleanly.
    hammer ons & pull offs
    legato
    trills
    add a few chromatic notes in the pentatonic scales.
    warm up/practice on acoustic or bass then jump on the electric guitar for recording,that'll speed you up.lol

p.s. I just wish I were a better drummer.lol

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    Coronado, Maklaca, Metroman and 7 others like this.
  8. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:D Face it Blues you just Suck.

But then again you are better than I am....

Nice recording BTW.

:lol::lol: TWIN

9. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

I love ya dog biddling - sleeping with legs up in the air means the dog is content - is it a saliva every where type dog when shaking his head - I had one of them and it was funny sometimes and you learnt to jump out of the way when you see it coming , lol

10. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the quick response and input, Biddlin.

I am actually one year older than the number of years you’ve been playing guitar, while the fact that you still feel “almost there” shows wisdom (beyond your years, my boy. :D)

In the words of Solon, one of the seven wise men of ancient Greece, whose reforms helped to establish the foundations of democracy, some 2500 years ago:

As long as I live, I learn.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  11. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, EndGame00.

Your response is exactly the kind I was hoping for: honest, insightful, and filled with useful information! :yesway:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEgKvpLFh4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEgKvpLFh4[/ame]

12. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

The only thing I can offer is...

Try a softer touch. I find that many build up strength to push the strings down & bend/vibrato, but, when you press down unnecessarily, you are using your fingers inefficiently. It's hard to break old habits & any of us who've learned on our own over the years definitely do have bad habits.

By using a softer touch, practice trills, legato & try to do things faster.

Picking...

I've been working on alternate picking, where I force myself to use a specific pick on a specific note. For example:

D--7-9-10
    A--7-8-10

play it w/ this picking pattern:

d=down - u=up

D--u-d-u
    A--d-u-d

So when I practice w/ this scale, I can only play the associated note w/ either the up, or down pick.

I started like that, now I expand it to all 6 strings. For this exercise, limit it to 3 notes per string, so you'll always have an alternate pick on the next string. Remember now, even if you skip strings, etc., still play that particular note w/ either the up or down pick. It just makes it so that you are more aware of your picking, improves hand/finger co-ordination & will help you speed up.

When you get to chromatically moving up, then the u-d-u / d-u-d will change accordingly. Map it out & challenge yourself...

That said, I've been playing since the '80s. I've never been a fast player. I've been improving more in the last year doing this, than w/ all the years doing it my old ways...

Mshayne and Gianni like this.
  13. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

Also, youtube is good, but an 'in person' lesson is much better. You can't ask questions on a youtube video, and expect a response. Same with a forum. You may get one, but it could be a day later, and if your technique sucks, you will never know, unless someone is watching you.

Bottom line, take a few lessons.

blues_n_cues and Gianni like this.
  14. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

I’m actually quite excited, Tubes, both about my guitar playing and about rising to the challenge of becoming faster. But most of all, at the moment, I’m really excited about having people more experienced than myself offer me their advice. :fever:

I would just love to be able to play the lead lines in ‘Stratisfied’ by Blues N Cues. Listen, for example, to the runs between 0.37 and 0.44. I don’t see how I could have made this clearer in my original post. :scratch:

See if you get the joke in my next post. Try also without the cotton wool in your ears. If that doesn’t do it, I don’t know what else to suggest really. :shrug:

Just teasing you, mate. :D

I DO see the points you’re making in your post, and appreciate your response. :yesway:

tubes likes this.
  15. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

blues_n_cues likes this.
  16. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

:ugh: Umm... A lot! :yesway:

Gianni likes this.
  17. Bflat5

Bflat5 Well-Known Member

Gianni likes this.
  18. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

I haven’t yet finished responding to people,
    but as I really do need to hit the sack,
    there’s one more thing only I can give for now,
    and this is my promise that...

[​IMG]

Bloody Hell! I’m a poet and I didn’t know it! :D

CaptainZero likes this.
  19. Bflat5

Bflat5 Well-Known Member

You should check this stuff out. I know this guy, really good stuff if you start from the beginning and work through it. The techniques will certainly help you learn different patterns as well building speed.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Intelli-Shred-Book-CD-Kevin-Dillard/dp/0739047450/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418532122&sr=8-1&keywords=kevin+dillard]Intelli-Shred Book & CD: Kevin Dillard: 9780739047453: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

He has another one out that's all about arpeggios. Then there's the Paul Gilbert and Joe Stump instructional videos out there.

Gianni likes this.
  20. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

learn the scales and modes. primary: major/minor

pentatonic

practice them until you are fluent enough then bring them up to speed with a metronome.
    I'm not an old fart either lol..... anyway practice with a backing track as well, in general though speed building is simply upping the click on a nome or beat maker of some sort in small increments. If there's anything you think I can help with or would like to know feel free to PM me, i'm always willing to share what little I know :D