Guitar picks

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by royslead, Feb 14, 2016.

1. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

I'm with you...lol I use the .58s and they last me maybe one practice session or gig

2. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Same here. Used to play Fender mediums for years (back in the 80's), then it was the Tortex .60mm, then .80mm. I tried a purple 1.14mm and at first it felt like I was playing with a rock. Went to pick up my .80 and I could never use it again. Got hooked on those dang 1.14s. Love the attack, and they can take just about anything you throw at em'. :yesway:

I'm afraid to try a Jazz 3 or a Ultex cause I'm afraid I wont be able to go back to my 1.14! :hmm:

3. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Damn..
    And here I use a Dunlop nylon .38mm or the .46mm.

4. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Wow! I wouldn't think it would have the girth to push a string? Very interesting! :yesway:

5. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

gotcha now and agree. :yesway:

6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Also, Slash uses them. And anything that's good enough for Slash is good enough for me. :slash:

7. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

I like the red Jazz III's. I probably use them WAY too long, just like my strings, but they're my favorite. Oh, the small ones. I accidentally bout the slightly larger ones, and I don't care for those.

12barjunkie likes this.
  8. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

I'm definitely going to try the Jazz III's. I'm not sure where the conversation started with thin picks (other than someone uses them). I have no use for them. Mind you, the picks I used and shredded were 2.0's. I typically have used .80's and 1.0's in the past. I just gave these Stubbies a try and found they are NOT for me. My strings are .010's and I'm not into speed metal (my hand would fall off).

9. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

I find the same with the yellow Tortex picks.

I like to play old Metallica and picking technique is a result of the songs. You have to attack the strings along with fast chugging. Eats them up quickly.

10. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

Dunlop Tortex yellow or green depending on string gauge (blue & purple for bass,orange for acoustic strumming) w/ just a little smear of silicone for grip.:naughty:

[​IMG]

11. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

If I buy picks it's generally going to be the green tortex from Dunlop. For years now I've been using custom picks that my dad buys for me, I don't remember where he gets them but they are 1.0 nylon and I like them. They tend to bend where I grip and sort of "conform" to my thumb which makes them easier to grip. The tip wears nicely also so that my pick attack is smoother.

All you guys saying you go through alot of picks, I don't get it.. I use the same pick for months and only change if I loose it. That includes shows, practices, and at home.

12. Garrett

The nylons have a different feel to them. I don't want the pick to bend very much in order to get a very hard and quick attack. I just felt the nylons gave a bit too much for my tastes.

Pick wear with the Tortex is relative to the thickness but more importantly how hard the player is driving it through the strings.

And yes, some of us do play that aggressively, thus pick wear.

I'm not saying James is the most accomplished guitarist in the world, just an example of how aggressively he plays. Around 1:00 minute is him riffing and not plugged in. That man is nailing the crap out of the strings and in doing so is part of his tone.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANi5DFxSD0[/ame]

13. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely. Hetfield and if or not 'accomplished' whatever...the dude RIPS on the guitar...his rhythm tracks/riffs are legendary...and unique..and you are right..It's a HUGE part of his tone...

You know, and this is a personal belief of mine...as a guitarist grows and develops, they learn how complex the 'art' of playing is... Aside from some fundamental understanding and technique, there really is no right or wrong way in expression. I remember a long time ago when Yngwie was all the rage...if someone couldn't speed pick like him, or play like Eddie..they were less accomplished, or undeveloped.:mad:

Guitarists that were usually labeled as such were greats like JIMMY freakin' Page.., Vivian Campbell, Mick Mars, etc..

Hetfield is another one of them artistic giants..and so is Metallica...and even though I am not a huge Metallica fan...I can certainly see and appreciate their greatness artistically.

Sorry for the segway...I go through picks like crazy.. The more accurate you try to play, the quicker the tips...especially if your picking style is strong and aggressive..go away. I hate that crap. I have yet to find a pick that lasts long enough.:ugh:

14. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Yeah James is one of the better pick attack players I've seen. It has been a while since I've seen them live but last week I had a chance to catch a local cover band and damn this guy pulled it off. It made appreciate all over again how good Het is at what he does !
    I am going to buy a gravity pick (expensive). A guy that works a GC let me try one once.

15. chucho

chucho Active Member

I don't like the way the Dunlops fray (jagged edges with thin nylon threads hanging down) and they seem to be made of softer plastic. The Dogs are much smoother and HARDER.

Much more bright & clear than the Dunlops.

16. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I find the big stubby ones do that, but not the nylon one I have (it's 20+ years old). I just ordered 3 packages of picks to compare. All 1mm:

Dunlop Nylon 1.0
    Snarling Dogs 1.0
    & Dunlop Nylon Max Grip 1.0

for comparison. My theory is that they'll all be similar enough, but, you never know...

17. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

I contact the string with the side of the pick, not the tip. There's a little curved edge right behind the tip of the pick that is the sweet spot for me. When that wears and becomes straight, I'm done with that pick. It's only a few mm of material, and I like my picks thin, so they don't last long.
    I used to use heavy picks but have gone to thinner picks over the years because I prefer the sound and find them to be easier to get pick harmonics....they also make a better pick scape sound..lol

18. Garrett

Agree completely. Tom Morello is one of those players. He's not a crazy technical player, but man can he create some great riffs with serious groove.

Tony Iommi was another.

So picks are like anything else, personal preference.

19. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

right there with ya on this one phil. :yesway:

20. toneseeker2015

toneseeker2015 Member