GUITAR OR WATCH

Exotic

Reaction score
thinking of selling my 1974 or 1975 open book headstock futura to fund the purchase of a 1966 girard perregaux deep diver watch ,someone talk me out of it !

Attachments

• open book.jpg
    open book.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 35
  • girard.jpg
    girard.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 35

vtrain

Reaction score
I've been a watch collector for over 20 years. I don't know where you're coming from, but vintage Girard Perregaux doesn't interest me. Like a lot of brands, Girard Perregaux wasn't an especially high end brand back in the day, and their vintage watches aren't particularly special. As far as vintage GP goes, the diver is quite a looker, though. You probably know this but it is not safe to wear that watch anywhere near water. Not only is the watch probably not very water resistant unless the gaskets have been replaced and tested recently, the bezel looks to be acrylic with paint and lume filled in from the back, a bit like old Gibson volume and tone knobs. That bezel is probably very nearly water soluble.

I'd hang on to the guitar, probably, but the one thing that you can say about watches over guitars is that watches are WAY easier to ship.

Just my .02.

vtrain

Reaction score
Do you dive and need the watch?

I'll bite on this, even though I think the Girard Perregaux diver isn't particularly interesting, and definitely no good for water.

Divers often make good watches, even for people who don't dive. Most are designed for good visibility in low to no light, so they are easy to read. Since they are usually designed to be water resistant to at least 200 meters (even though diving that deep is exceptionally rare) and used in otherwise demanding environments, they are durable. Also, the timing bezel is great for casually tracking elapsed time, such as for meat on the grill, beers in the freezer, minutes in the saddle, etc.

I've probably owned dozens of dive watches, and currently have 6 or 7 of them at least.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I like the watch but it sounds unreliable at its age.
I don’t like the guitar at all.
Sell guitar buy a Seiko SRPD/5. Then buy another guitar with money 😁

I contemplated buying a Tudor black bay for a long time but it meant selling 3 of my 4 electrics to get funds. Took me 15 years to acquire these little by little. I settled on a seiko and honestly I love it 😁

JohnH

Reaction score
I like the guitar, and and I like diving watches. I'm not a collector though. My one watch is a TAG1000, which I've had since 1990, on my wrist every day for more than half my life. That's what I like about it most, its part of me. Plus it's a simple classic design and still very accurate, robust and reliable. No other new or old watch could replace it for me. I dont swim with it, since I don't get the seals rechecked each time. But, the bezel on a dive watch has other uses! it's great for timing while cooking. And with a little brain twisting, it helps me keep track of another time zone while travelling.

I feel much the same about my guitars. I like the ones Ive had a long time, through all the battles and the best moments.

So for me, selling something that I like, to buy something that's not mine yet is not what I would want to do.

dragonvalve

Reaction score
For survival which is just around the corner, get a G shock Gravitymaster 200m water resistant or a Tough Solar.

Axiom: The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything.
-Oscar Wilde

Actually it's the other way around. The young don't know anything but the elderly do. Wilde could not have seen the bio-compromised soy-boy head-down millennials coming down the pike. We are entering an era of "tribalism" to where the elderly are the leaders of the group from their years of experience. The last generation according to Dr. Geert Vanden Bossche to have the ability for herd immunity is the boomer.

Last edited:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I stopped wearing a watch around 2016, as it just began to feel a bit dated. The watch was gifted to my Dad, and then he wound up selling it a couple years later when he stopped wearing one as well. I do think the apple watches are kinda cool, but I still have very little interest. I’d keep the guitar.

Latest posts