Guitar Magazines

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Marshall Stack, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

Cleaning out my basement and ran into my boxes of guitar magazinea. I had subscriptions to several magazines and they go back to the 90s. I have a few from the late 70s from when I was a kid.

Do you guys keep yours? I will keep ones that I had when I was a kid but there are a lot more that I'm not sure what to do with. I used to have subscriptions to Outdoor magazine and some WW2 aviation. I don't want to look like on of those hoarders?

2. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

About 5 years ago I tossed a bunch of my guitar mags (Guitar FTPM, Guitar World and RIP) because of water damage and donated the rest. They were all from 1988-1999. Lots of great stuff I wish I would have kept that wasn't destroyed. :( Otherwise I collected Mad and Cracked magazines and Mad paperback books back in the 80's-90's. I still have a couple mags of those left that were not destroyed.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

I still have some of mine still. I got rid of a lot of them, but I kept the ones that had articles on some of my favorite guitarists, or had tabs to some of my favorite songs.

4. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I keep them, sometimes I'll go flipping through them for fun. Some of those had a lot of valuable information and lessons and stuff in the back.

Come to think of it, I don't have any magazine subscriptions at all anymore. Kinda thought they were pointless after I was able to instantly read any kind of articles about anything ever on a device in my hand

Remember magazines? Lol

Mitchell Pearrow, Ramo and Trelwheen like this.
  5. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

I just found boxes of Guitar World and Guitar for the Practicing Musician. Almost 10 years of subscriptions from 1993 onward.

Kids asked to keep them due to all the lessons and tabs. So now the boxes are just in a more accessible place.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  6. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

I've got 3 milk crates filled with Guitar Players from '72 through the mid '80s. Used to have 5 crates but 2 got water damaged and moldy.

Plus a crate of post 2000 GP, Guitar World, and Guitar One magazines.

Every couple of years I cycle through the old GP's. Put a bunch in the bathroom, re-read them, then swap them for another bunch.

I keep meaning to snap some pics of early Tubescreamer ads and upload them, where they say they were designed specifically to make solid state amps sound like tube amps. (Nowadays everyone seems to think they were originally designed to drive tube amps harder.)

7. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I’ve had a Guitar World subscription for years. I purge the ones with the tabs that I don’t care for. So I probably have about 100 or so that I’ve kept dating back to ‘95.

8. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Hit Parader & Circus is all you need. Another walk down memory lane ...

9. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

I think I have every issue of Tape Op (a recording magazine)

There are some all over the house - coffee table, magazine basket, studio, workbench in my garage, and maybe......

Yep, terlet too.

:headbanger:

10. Ray Baker

Ray Baker Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

I have mine back to 1985, Keep only the ones with songs I cared about. Just this week I pulled out one from '86, lately relearning songs and riffs I hadn't played in years. Some of the very early Wolf Marshall and Andy Aledort lessons are really cool too.

11. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

I use to keep ones i bought if they had cover of Dave Mustaine, Dimbag, papa Het or anyone i liked.

Use to buy metal Hummer Magazine :)

My storage guy sold all my stuff in it and disappeared in thin air... long story...

So now i cant be bothered to start over.

12. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I used to buy the odd copy of 'Guitar For The Practicing Musician' back in the day.
    But I only bought them for the transcriptions because I couldn't afford any of the gear they featured.
    In the end I just started buying the full album transcription books, as they were far better value for money.

In the UK in the late 80's every guitar shop carried a free monthly mag called Making Music.
    I used to have a stack of them, but they all went years ago.
    Making Music Issues (Active) (muzines.co.uk)

Sapient, Trelwheen and Edgar Frog like this.
  13. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Mine are in boxes in the garage.

A few recent "Vintage Guitar Magazines" are in my wicker basket in my living room.

jmp45 likes this.
  14. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I had almost 2 decades worth of guitar worlds that went back to 1999. I gave them all to my niece who was wanting to learn guitar. I got tired of them taking up room. They're neat to go through every once in a while, but I'd rather not have them taking up space.

15. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

I never had any subscriptions to anything. I just went to the local gas station or mall and got all my stuff every month I could afford them. Was so much better that way anyways than subscriptions. Then I could thumb through them and decide if I wanted that edition or not. I don't do any online guitar mags (or any other mags) and stoped buying mags in 2000. Their just not the same as they use to be IMHO and just nothing of intrest in them for me anymore. I just buy official tab books now if I want new music of bands I love, and just don't care about articles anymore.

16. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I had a subscription to Vintage Guitar for quite a few years stacked up in the basement. They still have some valuable articles. I have some other mags boxed up somewhere. Marshall catalogs too. I should clean house one of these days.

Sapient likes this.
  17. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Would any of you guys have an issue with the Marshall and the hand grenade, 800 series ad?

geddy likes this.
  18. 500 Mike

500 Mike New Member

I’ve been subscribing to Guitarist, out of the UK but Covid has got the supply chain to the USA so messed up I have only gotten a few issues since March and now the second Covid wave is going to make it worse. Love the magazine but can’t put up with not receiving it for the price. Maybe it will get fixed by 2022.

19. Redguitar

Redguitar Member

I had a subscription to GuitarPlayer from the late 70's to the early 90s. They are in a filing cabinet, in the garage, taking up primo space. I thought about handing them out for free (donate) at the next guitar show...maybe in the summer.

20. Sapient

Sapient Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

F-yea. Anything with Motley on the cover of the two. Circus was like the mag of plush royalty.

DaDoc likes this.