Guitar Center Running Out Of Stock?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Back in '91 the GC on Stevens Creek in San Jose was like Mecca for me. It was awesome, killer stuff all the way to the ceiling! Not no mo....

2. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

GC may have a sales force that has the IQ of a paint chip.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  3. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Actually I have been impressed with the people at the Nashville store. They are all players and know how to speak the language. At least that’s the way they were. I haven’t been since 2019.

I only had one issue there, and that was with a manager who was just an asshole. I had a deal worked out with a salesman and he picked everything apart. I was trading some stuff and he kept me there for over an hour and then took $30 off my trade in.

I don’t usually complain but that guy pissed me off so bad I let his boss know how I was treated. They were super nice and really went out of their way to make it right.

4. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

5. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

We have 3 GC's in my Metro.
    Since 2000 ive tried maybe 6 times to deal with them.
    Each successive try was worse than the last til i will never mess with them again.
    Only crap they stock is in the $300 to $700 range retail which all cost less than $50 bucks to manufacture.
    Fortunately i have several excellent local shops including 2 of the best Vintage shops in the country.
    FWIW i would deal with Sweetwater or CME if paying retail.
    Screw GC.

6. Phillip Whitelives

Phillip Whitelives New Member

You may not mine being China's lackey, but I, and many others, do.

tallcoolone likes this.
  7. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

GC is a Ponzi scheme. They have no money.
    They have been debt laden for 40+ years.
    Only a short time til the house of cards crumbles.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  8. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Will Gibson; Fender &/or PRS take a piece before GC crumbles?

9. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Im sure they have already taken steps to negate GC's demise. PRS is into amps and other stuff & Gibson just bought Mesa Boogie to name a couple.
    GC is a shell company. Nothing really to take.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  10. fitz288

fitz288 Well, Known Member Silver Supporting Member

LOL! here's a new listing pic on GC.
    No need to stage the photo, just hang it on the empty wall.

upload_2021-3-3_14-29-55.png

Maggot Brain and groovenev like this.
  11. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

"Wine Red Studio LP $3400" !!!

12. groovenev

groovenev Member

Totally! I have to agree... It used to be a GREAT store years back... over the past few years it's gone to the dogs... different manager every month... I was in there one evening after work, about 8:30 pm they closed at 9 then, and I found a used 80s Les Paul Custom black on the floor, I took the guitar into their platinum room and played it up to and past closing, nice player kind of rough but rocked!.. on my way out I went to the sales counter with it, sales person there empty store at that point... said I wanted it and would be back early AM … please hold it. (I have had a GC account for 25+ years back from when they only had 2 stores in CA, LA and SF) I gave him my info. Phone number etc. he looked up my account and said np.. I didn't have any $$ on me and didn't expect to find somethin used I really wanted, I was killing time.. well the next morning at 11 when they opened I went back with cards and cash... and was told they sold it on the internet .. sorry! Very disappointing experience - I avoid the store and mostly will go to Springfield when I need equip. or Sam Ash across the hw...

Maggot Brain likes this.
  13. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you should have firmly told them to hold it for you.

IMO, if you ever see anything you want, buy it then or put a firm hold on it.

Many, many moons ago, I put a deposit on a Gibson Les Paul Std at Big Barry's Music in Brooklyn, NY for them to hold it for 30 days.

I got the balance sooner and called Big Barry's.

There was silence.

Turns out, Barry sold the LP thinking I wouldn't know the difference when he got another burst for me.

Barry could never loose a sale, so he sold the LP when someone else shined $'s in his face.

I was pissed and had hard words with Barry and the guys in his store.

I never spoke to anyone like that in my life.

I never went back until Norman Good bought the store from Barry.

Norm may have never known that our relationship was strained from that ordeal.

I'm still friends with Norm but never trusted him.

Now GC, IMO, they're a bunch of pizza delivery boys who cannot deliver a pizza.

Anyone who is a professional will not work for GC or will quit within minutes of any funny business.

Buy what you want and avoid BS businesses.

BTW, I should have sued Big Barry.

I didn't.

Barry died soon after from a drug OD.

His mother had a midnight sale before the stock was confiscated.

Another experience that made me more cynical.

People suck.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    groovenev likes this.
  14. southbound suarez

southbound suarez Active Member

No doubt, I remember way back in the day the salesforce were like flies on rice, they would mob you. Whenever you showed interest in something it suddenly was like trying to sneak off the used car lot without being accosted by the high pressure buy it right now salesman. To buy was always doing the dance and waiting for the manager to approve.
    The last time I walked into a Guitar Center one Saturday afternoon all grubbed out from work, but on this day I actually had a huge wad of cash after completing the first phase of a construction project and just getting signed off by inspection, so I was balling! There were three or four of the junior twenty year old associates and maybe two or three upper managers over 30 yrs old and even a plus 40 guy my own age, all standing around with hands in their pockets. Nobody paying attention. Hell it was like I prying them away to get someone at the counter to hold onto the numerous smalls that I intended to purchase as I continued my windows shop. I stood in front of the premium guitars staring up trying to read the price tags right in front of the two older associates. You would think they would take notice. Even as I asked questions it was answered with their backs turned toward me. I asked if that was a firm price on a premium guitar and they said they don't make deals it's what it was. I mentioned that they used to price match but he never even paid attention. I placed about a dozen more smalls ,,,, Peterson Tuner, Leather Guitar Strap , Some JJ shit 12ax7s and continued back and forth throughout the store placing items by the register. I went to check out and half the items were gone as the manager was placing them back. I don't remember everything I placed up by the register as I was on a compulsive shopping spree and much of it was for Christmas gifting and also kinda trying to toke the pot on see if I could away a deal on a R9 that day. I had to make the manager retrieve all the goodies which he delegated to the younger fellow ringing me up. I spent over 600 bucks on high markup goodies paying cash from at least a 3/4" wad of hundreds and I even told the manager I was burning a hole in my pocket and he should sell me something... As I walked out of the store carrying two large guitar center bags of merchandise, slowed, stopped and stared up at the lone 3 Custom Shop signature guitars and the only person to approach me was the guy that checks your receipt out the door.
    I was like WoW!?!?
    That certainly different experience from the Guitar Center experiences back in the day.
    They let me escape with ten grand in my pocket!
    Come to think of it,,, I don't think they had a ladder to even get those guitars down if they wanted..... Crazy! Anyways, I ended up investing more money into my shop and bought test gear and opened accounts with a couple of parts vendors instead. Now I am slowly retiring from Construction Biz and enjoying working with vintage amps instead. Not many of those 10k cash paydays but much more satisfaction and less beating up my body.

groovenev and Maggot Brain like this.
  15. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Before I arrived at the Somerville, NJ GC, I called and asked if they had a Gretsch Jet Jr. Club.

The Ocean, NJ GC told me that there were 2 at the Somerville GC.

The Somerville GC said that they had none.

I then told them what the Ocean GC said...............the Somerville location then said "yeah we have 2 of them".

I then said, "make sure you have them, I'm driving out of my way........please do a visual search".

They responded, "yeah, we have 2 of them".

I drove to the Somerville, NJ GC and found 2 of these Gretsches on the wall............took them down.........demoed both and bought one.

At no time did a salesman assist me.

Know what you want, call GC and pick their brain before you arrive.

These guys are brain dead.

groovenev likes this.
  16. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

17. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

18. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

As soon as this pandemic is over most gc's will be over stocked and so there may be some good deals to be had. Just sayin.

19. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

groovenev likes this.
  20. Gearbox

Gearbox New Member

I was in the Cincinnati GC this past Sunday and the used inventory was as low as i have ever seen. Typically they have a wall ceiling to floor for used that holds about 45-50ish guitars (3 rows of 15-17 guitars) . On Sunday they had 8 guitars. 8.