Guitar Center Rant

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Bought a JCM 2000 DSL 100 through Guitar Center's Used Gear section last week. It was listed as "Great Condition." It arrived on Thursday. I unboxed it, but had other things going on so I didn't set it up until Friday evening.

It sounded awesome. Great tone, excellent textures, the perfect amp for me.

That is, for about the first 15 minutes. After that, it would be like someone had reached over and turned my guitar's volume down by 2/3 and the tone all the way off. That's right; half power and zero top end. It would fade back and forth between sounding normal and doing this.

I had some 12AX7's laying around, so I swapped them. It made no difference.

I didn't have any EL34's, so I went on Saturday and bought a brand new quad of JJ matched EL34's. It made no difference. I kept them to be spares.

So back to Guitar Center she went. I returned it for a refund and explained the issues to the guy at the counter. I also pointed out that both volume knobs have quite a bit of crackle, and that the Gain volume knob had been replaced for some reason (it had a silver face instead of gold/brass).

He said he would send it to the shop.

Well, guess what? That was yesterday, so today I once again looked through the used Marshall's and, TADA! Here she is, boys! Right here in Knoxville, TN, and listed as "Great Condition." You better look quickly before someone else does what I did; grab that "sweet deal."

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Marshall/JCM2000-DUAL-SUPER-LEAD-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head.gc

I've been trying to call them and ask for a manager, but no one has answered yet.

So one of two things has happened here:

1. They got it repaired on short notice on a Saturday afternoon/evening.

2. They said, "It powers on and looks pretty enough, so let's stick it right back out there listed as 'Great Condition.'"

I have my suspicions.

Do they not realize that if this one is bought again, it's just going to go right back to them?

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Update: I just called and asked for a manager. I explained it, and he said he was going to list it as "on repair" and it would be gone soon.

We'll see...

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
sounds like they did the right thing for you.
was the knob not different in the photo that you saw
of the amp before your ordered it?
i dont see the issue here except you got a amp that
needed to be fixed. anything could have happened in shipping.
happens all the time even with new factory direct amps.
it sucks but it happens. i dont see any harm done here at this point.
if what you say going on with the amp at point of return the next
person will notice as soon as they power up. so yeah, they gotta fix it.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Here's the thing: I'm a big fan of buying from their Used Gear section. That's because if anything is wrong, I have 45 days to return it. My rant is the fact that they just toss it right back out there the next day, listed as "Great Condition." That means that someone else is going to go through the exact same hassle and disappointment I did.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I'd ask if you can buy it after the repair for the same price.

I thought about that. Believe me, I would take this amp back in a heartbeat after it's repaired, but their repairs aren't done locally. That means it'll be gone for who knows how long.

If I knew it would actually be repaired correctly, I would be very patient in waiting for it, even for a few months if that's what it takes.

And like I told the guy at the counter, I'll be getting another one of these, one way or another. I've never fallen in love with a Marshall so quickly, and that includes the JVM410H I had for a while.

PaulHikeS2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about that. Believe me, I would take this amp back in a heartbeat after it's repaired, but their repairs aren't done locally. That means it'll be gone for who knows how long.

If I knew it would actually be repaired correctly, I would be very patient in waiting for it, even for a few months if that's what it takes.

And like I told the guy at the counter, I'll be getting another one of these, one way or another. I've never fallen in love with a Marshall so quickly, and that includes the JVM410H I had for a while.
Must have been a horrible sinking feeling when you heard it start to act up. Kudos for following up - you went above and beyond to try to make sure it doesn't happen to someone else.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
sounds like they did the right thing for you.
was the knob not different in the photo that you saw
of the amp before your ordered it?

Yeah, I did notice it in the photo and it didn't bother me in the least. It still doesn't. Besides, those knobs can be had super cheap. But when adding in the other issues, it became yet another red flag because all of the volume knobs had some crackle. It shouldn't be anything that a little contact cleaner won't fix.

if what you say going on with the amp at point of return the next
person will notice as soon as they power up. so yeah, they gotta fix it.

I agree, but it frustrates me that I can tell them there's a problem, and tell them exactly what it's doing, and they just turn around and slap it right back up there as "Great Condition." That means that someone else will have to deal with this. I also won't be a bit surprised if the manager I spoke with takes no action whatsoever, and they just go right ahead and sell it to someone else, just kicking the can down the road to a different GC location.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Yeah, I did notice it in the photo and it didn't bother me in the least. It still doesn't. Besides, those knobs can be had super cheap. But when adding in the other issues, it became yet another red flag because all of the volume knobs had some crackle. It shouldn't be anything that a little contact cleaner won't fix.

I agree, but it frustrates me that I can tell them there's a problem, and tell them exactly what it's doing, and they just turn around and slap it right back up there as "Great Condition." That means that someone else will have to deal with this. I also won't be a bit surprised if the manager I spoke with takes no action whatsoever, and they just go right ahead and sell it to someone else, just kicking the can down the road to a different GC location.

yeah but have a bit of faith. they cant sell it under the low volume condition
and im sure they know that and tested it according to your complaint.
would do them zero good to just pop it back on the market that way. they
probably just relisted it's pic with other gear being put up on the site that day.
if anything, you get the time go retest it and know for sure. if its not fixed and out on
the floor to be sold then there is a problem.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
yeah but have a bit of faith. they cant sell it under the low volume condition
and im sure they know that and tested it according to your complaint.
would do them zero good to just pop it back on the market that way. they
probably just relisted it's pic with other gear being put up on the site that day.
if anything, you get the time go retest it and know for sure. if its not fixed and out on
the floor to be sold then there is a problem.

I'm going to keep a watch on it today on the website. The last time I checked, it was still listed. What I suspect they're doing is selling it and hoping it's bought online. That way, the buyer will have to deal with their local GC wherever they live, so it's out of the hair of whichever store has it.

The problem won't show itself for about 15 minutes, give or take. Once it does, it becomes progressively worse. If they plug into it and play for a few minutes, they'll just say, "He's crazy. There's not a thing wrong with this amp."

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
try to have faith they will do the right thing i guess.
cant convict them until they do something wrong ya know.
besides, might have been a quick fix for them.
they stand a way better chance of a walk in buying it than on line anyways.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
An update: I just clicked on it and I get the "Oops. Who turned down the music?" page, so it's no longer available.

I'm willing to bet that by the end of next week, or the week after, the exact same amp will show back up at a different GC location, still listed as "Great Condition."

I saw this the first week I was shopping. There was a JVM210H that reappeared twice in different cities. That's why I shied away from it. I knew that someone had bought it and then brought it back.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
Bought a JCM 2000 DSL 100 through Guitar Center's Used Gear section last week. It was listed as "Great Condition." It arrived on Thursday. I unboxed it, but had other things going on so I didn't set it up until Friday evening.

It sounded awesome. Great tone, excellent textures, the perfect amp for me.

That is, for about the first 15 minutes. After that, it would be like someone had reached over and turned my guitar's volume down by 2/3 and the tone all the way off. That's right; half power and zero top end. It would fade back and forth between sounding normal and doing this.

I had some 12AX7's laying around, so I swapped them. It made no difference.

I didn't have any EL34's, so I went on Saturday and bought a brand new quad of JJ matched EL34's. It made no difference. I kept them to be spares.

So back to Guitar Center she went. I returned it for a refund and explained the issues to the guy at the counter. I also pointed out that both volume knobs have quite a bit a crackle, and that the Gain volume knob had been replaced for some reason (it had a silver face instead of gold/brass).

He said he would send it to the shop.

Well, guess what? That was yesterday, so today I once again looked through the used Marshall's and, TADA! Here she is, boys! Right here in Knoxville, TN, and listed as "Great Condition." You better look quickly before someone else does what I did; grab that "sweet deal."

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Marshall/JCM2000-DUAL-SUPER-LEAD-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head.gc

I've been trying to call them and ask for a manager, but no one has answered yet.

So one of two things has happened here:

1. They got it repaired on short notice on a Saturday afternoon/evening.

2. They said, "It powers on and looks pretty enough, so let's stick it right back out there listed as 'Great Condition.'"

I have my suspicions.

Do they not realize that if this one is bought again, it's just going to go right back to them?
I had the same exact experience. last year, I bought a JVM210 used. Took it to my local tech for a re-tube. Tech said there was a problem...something like it wouldn't bias up, no negative voltage...etc. I returned it no problem. I told the manager about the issue. He said they'd look at it. Next day, it was for sale again! I called and spoke to the same manager and the ad was removed. Hopefully, they fixed the amp.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I had the same exact experience. last year, I bought a JVM210 used. Took it to my local tech for a re-tube. Tech said there was a problem...something like it wouldn't bias up, no negative voltage...etc. I returned it no problem. I told the manager about the issue. He said they'd look at it. Next day, it was for sale again! I called and spoke to the same manager and the ad was removed. Hopefully, they fixed the amp.

This one was removed today about two hours after I called, but I have no way of knowing if he flagged it as a repair like he said he would, or if someone bought it while it was back up. I hope it was the former.

EDIT: Let me also say that, since this problem isn't immediately apparent, they might power it on, put it through its paces for about three minutes, then declare it good. I'm going to be on the lookout for it showing up again in another city in a week or so.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Id have to agree,
Tossing it back into circulation is creating an unnecessary headache for someone else. If it relists as a discounted fixer, thats fair. If they list it as a sweet deal-good to go. Thats misleading/false advertising. Keep yer eye out for it.
I love to boycott places for less than this. lol

I have a GC within 4 miles of me...I never go in there, maybe 3x in 10 years. I dont like the vibe. Plus they NEVER have what I need in stock?

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Id have to agree,
Tossing it back into circulation is creating an unnecessary headache for someone else. If it relists as a discounted fixer, thats fair. If they list it as a sweet deal-good to go. Thats misleading/false advertising. Keep yer eye out for it.
I love to boycott places for less than this. lol

I have a GC within 4 miles of me...I never go in there, maybe 3x in 10 years. I dont like the vibe. Plus they NEVER have what I need in stock?

All they carry in the Knoxville store is the low end of everything. Back in 2014 when I was looking for a JVM410H, they never had any in stock. I asked one of the sales drones why they never had any and he said, "Man, are you kidding me? That's a $2500.00 amp!" My response was basically, "Yeah, and you're asking people to buy a $2500.00 amp that they've never had a chance to plug into." I've been to the Chattanooga and Birmingham stores on occasion. Same story.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
here is the thing too and not saying this is the case either as i full believe the OP here.
but how many times you thing someone returns shit to GC and has some excuse thats bs
to either get money back or put towards something else? a lot i venture to say.
what if, WHAT IF they turn it on and wait the time frame and nothing screws up? you know
that happens. how many times you been in front of the mechanic with a complaint and
bedamned if it doesnt happen and now you feel like a idiot lol. it happens and thats murphy
being murphy.
i try to believe in the good of people and companies. i dont first think that they are gonna
do the wrong thing, but sometimes they do. i dont blame the company i blame the employee.
i dont think its common practice at any company to "lets screw the customer as hard as we can".
i think GC knows they have a bad rep, at least the ones around here do. 5 in my area. i know a lot
of the employees over the yrs too. the ones i know, i must be very lucky, but they try to do the right thing
and are doing their best to restore the company to a better reputation. YMMV.

im kinda old school in that i find a salesman that i like when i go places and stick with him/her
everytime i go in. im building a quality relationship by doing that and i usually get 1st class attention when i go in.
hell ive had them call me 6 months since last visit, "rick i got something you might be interested in bro"
yep i hear stories of "everytime im in there they are asshole" or more lol.

find a good sales person and build the buyer relationship. its easy folks. dont even tell me that
they are all asshole or all idiots. thats just bs and possibly says more about you than it does them.
just being honest here.

now you know this thread will hit the net at some point when somebody somewhere does a search.
they will read the first few posts and move on telling this story somewhere else or not sticking around long enough to see the final outcome. all they will get is, 'guy bought a piece of shit that GC said was good. he took it back and they just put it back out on the floor w/o repairing it". thats all the story they will see and thats all
the story they will tell too.