Guitar Center can suck the sweat off my balls

Mrmadd

Reaction score
If you want the full price for your guitar, sell it on Reverb or ebay or something.
But, you have to do the work, photos listing info and listing fees.

GC is a brick and mortal business that has decided to take on the used musical instrument market.
If you think for a minute they are there to make you rich, you are kidding yourself.

What they buy, they have to sell fast. That means they have to set a price that will sell.
The used market is subjective in price and value.

GC has produced some great deals for me, and with deals that are too expensive, you have to learn to shop wise!

Wait, the same item will show up again and maybe at a better price.

Crikey

Reaction score
Sorry if the thread title is too vague and doesn't fully express my feelings in the matter. I'll try to be more descriptive next time.

So I finally decided to unload my one Carvin that I never really fell in love with. I like it, but not to the degree I like the other two. I'm also leaning toward getting a 5150 half stack and wanted to build up some funds. Since I never really play this one Carvin anymore, I took it to Guitar Center. I'm not naive; I understand that they'll only offer a wholesale price because they have to sell it at retail. I understand that completely. But little did I know that they aren't much better than a pawn shop these days.

Before I went, I did a little research on their website.

EXHIBIT A:

So here we have a DC3 from 2010. This model isn't made any longer, and the example here looks about as plain as it gets. Fixed bridge, common color, etc... They want $1389.99 for it.

View attachment 108747

EXHIBIT B:

crimsonfront3smaller.jpg

crimsonback.jpg

DC 600
2015 model
Original Floyd
5-piece Maple/Purpleheart neck
Neck-through construction
Zebra wood fingerboard
Stainless jumbo frets
White pearl tuners
White Limba top
Transparent Crimson finish
Coil-splitting pickups
Hardshell case with case candy
There's not a single scratch on this guitar anywhere. It's in pristine, like-new condition.

I showed them my original invoice where I ordered it new in 2015 for more than $1800.00.

If you spec the same identical guitar out now on Kiesel's website, it comes to $2474.00.

So what did they offer me?

$725.00

The guy claimed that they would list it for $1100.00. I had him pull up the $1389.99 DC3 that's five years older and doesn't make a pimple on mine. I told him they would list it for a minimum of $1600.00 and likely higher.

There was a time when GC was somewhat fair. I've sold equipment to them and traded equipment, as well. They've usually been decent. I wish I know what they were smoking these days. I brought my guitar back home and I'll possibly put a DiMarzio Distortion in the bridge.

If and when I get the Iconic half stack, it'll be from anyone but them.
Beauty is in eye of the beholder

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Those jack-wagons at GC offered me like literally 150 bucks for an ESP that I bought off of them like 6 months earlier for 650. And I told them that after their so-called offer. Needless to say that didn't have any clever comeback line.

Ended up selling it on ebay for 699.

Best not to do business w them in the used gear department unless you can afford to lose money. I mean, unless you have a drug problem and need cash right away.

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my younger and immature days, I would make Guitar Center pay for any perceived slight…diming an amp with the speaker disconnected, a finger push…no,…an open hand stab into the back of a speaker, were the favorite retaliations.

The moral of the story….check over those floor models carefully before buying one.
Not cool

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy something like a guitar or map from them and you'll get one of these with it.

You can have the red & white peppermints, I'm taking the Bit-O'-Honeys.

View attachment 110819
Ok, yes, I have heard of this. That's actually a real complimentary assortment of candies because they cover all of the basic candy groups:
Sweet
Tart
Hot
Chewy
Minty
A chocolate would be nice, but somehow that wouldn't seem quite right for that group.

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
GC is useful for taking the dregs off your hands at the end of a guitar show if they've got a setup there. That's how I dumped an MA50 half stack that nobody wanted. They actually gave me enough for it that I broke even. And I didn't have to take it home!

I see no reason for the MA50 and MA100 to exist. They don't have any kind of a GOOD sound.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Ok, yes, I have heard of this. That's actually a real complimentary assortment of candies because they cover all of the basic candy groups:
Sweet
Tart
Hot
Chewy
Minty
A chocolate would be nice, but somehow that wouldn't seem quite right for that group.

Doesn't Tootsie Role qualify as chocolate...?

Latest posts