Guitar Center can suck the sweat off my balls

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Sorry if the thread title is too vague and doesn't fully express my feelings in the matter. I'll try to be more descriptive next time.

So I finally decided to unload my one Carvin that I never really fell in love with. I like it, but not to the degree I like the other two. I'm also leaning toward getting a 5150 half stack and wanted to build up some funds. Since I never really play this one Carvin anymore, I took it to Guitar Center. I'm not naive; I understand that they'll only offer a wholesale price because they have to sell it at retail. I understand that completely. But little did I know that they aren't much better than a pawn shop these days.

Before I went, I did a little research on their website.

EXHIBIT A:

So here we have a DC3 from 2010. This model isn't made any longer, and the example here looks about as plain as it gets. Fixed bridge, common color, etc... They want $1389.99 for it.

dc3.jpg

EXHIBIT B:

crimsonfront3smaller.jpg

crimsonback.jpg

DC 600
2015 model
Original Floyd
5-piece Maple/Purpleheart neck
Neck-through construction
Zebra wood fingerboard
Stainless jumbo frets
White pearl tuners
White Limba top
Transparent Crimson finish
Coil-splitting pickups
Hardshell case with case candy
There's not a single scratch on this guitar anywhere. It's in pristine, like-new condition.

I showed them my original invoice where I ordered it new in 2015 for more than $1800.00.

If you spec the same identical guitar out now on Kiesel's website, it comes to $2474.00.

So what did they offer me?

$725.00

The guy claimed that they would list it for $1100.00. I had him pull up the $1389.99 DC3 that's five years older and doesn't make a pimple on mine. I told him they would list it for a minimum of $1600.00 and likely higher.

There was a time when GC was somewhat fair. I've sold equipment to them and traded equipment, as well. They've usually been decent. I wish I know what they were smoking these days. I brought my guitar back home and I'll possibly put a DiMarzio Distortion in the bridge.

If and when I get the Iconic half stack, it'll be from anyone but them.

Last edited:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a time when GC was somewhat fair. I've sold equipment to them and traded equipment, as well. They've usually been decent. I wish I know what they were smoking these days.
I've also noticed a decline in what they offer for used gear.
I've brought gear back home more than once.
Been selling my stuff on Reverb lately and getting close to what I paid for it.
Not making profit so not worrying about the 1099-k tax thing, and I'm not getting bent by GC.

I still buy from them, but I'm done trading in gear unless it's a cheap pedal or something.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
In my younger and immature days, I would make Guitar Center pay for any perceived slight…diming an amp with the speaker disconnected, a finger push…no,…an open hand stab into the back of a speaker, were the favorite retaliations.

The moral of the story….check over those floor models carefully before buying one.
I won't buy a floor model from them. Period. A week ago I went in there to check out the 5150 Iconic again. There was power plugged in, but no speaker cable. There's no way of knowing how many times someone might have plugged a guitar in, powered it on, wondered why there was no sound, and cranked it like that. And to add insult to injury, I asked about a discount since it had been on the floor for a month. I was informed that they needed the full $999.99 retail price.

I've also heard stories of someone buying something there, returning it a month later, and them putting it right back on the floor as new.

I called Sweetwater this afternoon. When I'm ready to buy, they're getting my business.

Guitar Center can shove it up their greedy asses.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
And by the way, I see NO WAY they would list this guitar for $1100.00 like he told me. I bet they would go $1600.00 at an absolute minimum. And if I'd been stupid enough to deal with them and they listed it for that, I would be told that "another manager reassessed it" or some such crap.

Browneyesound

Reaction score
Yeah, I was pissed that they wouldn’t budge from their price tag on an Epi Joe Pass Emperor II that was all filthy and fingerprinted up, with off notches on the bridge…but this was later when I was more responsible and mature, so no retaliation….this time.

I think I’ve become less mature with age, so maybe Guitar Center should watch out….

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Yeah, I was pissed that they wouldn’t budge from their price tag on an Epi Joe Pass Emperor II that was all filthy and fingerprinted up, with off notches on the bridge…but this was later when I was more responsible and mature, so no retaliation….this time.
The last time I went over there to try the Iconic, I took one of my own guitars, a Jackson DK2M. Why? Because the first two times I went, every guitar had rusted strings, or crackling pots, or high action, or a combination of the above. And of course, I encountered my favorite: a locking trem that was out of tune with the nut locked, and the fine tuners were out of range. Rather than asking them for an Allen wrench, as I've done in the past, I just left.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
And by the way, I see NO WAY they would list this guitar for $1100.00 like he told me. I bet they would go $1600.00 at an absolute minimum. And if I'd been stupid enough to deal with them and they listed it for that, I would be told that "another manager reassessed it" or some such crap.
no way. these guitars are losing popularity by the week. wont sell for much higher most likely. i do like Carvin guitars myself mind you but the resale isnt there in the masses. they will hold on to it for a good while.
resale for carvin is on a huge decline. which is good in some ways as soon people will be able to get
a damn good guitar on the cheap. Carvin just isnt on anybodies radar these days unless your oldschool
like us bro.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
no way. these guitars are losing popularity by the week. wont sell for much higher most likely. i do like Carvin guitars myself mind you but the resale isnt there in the masses. they will hold on to it for a good while.
resale for carvin is on a huge decline. which is good in some ways as soon people will be able to get
a damn good guitar on the cheap. Carvin just isnt on anybodies radar these days unless your oldschool
like us bro.
It's been a rollercoaster. Traditionally, their resale was on par with Chrysler. I knew that when I bought it and the others and I was okay with it.

I've also seen where their resale has dropped lately, after it went ballistic for a while. A few months ago, it wasn't uncommon to see Keisels on there at $2400.00+ and Carvins in the $1800-2000 range, but lately, that's been on the decline.

But that's also why I showed the DC3 above. Relatively, my DC600 should be far more appealing. I haven't personally seen one equipped like mine for under about $1500.00.

Here's another current example. Wilkinson fixed bridge, no direct mount pups.

carvinct.jpg

I still think they would list mine for $1600.00 or above.

Either way, it's probably for the better. Rather than unloading it, I should probably just regain my appreciation for it.