Greenbacks Vintage vs New

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by JParry335, Sep 20, 2020.

1. JParry335

JParry335 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Howdy Folks, sorry if this has been covered but I’m on a mission and didn’t take the time to search. Hope you’ll help me out.
    I have a Fender Princeton Reverb reissue with the tweed and a Canibas Rex 12” speaker. Bought it new and I just haven’t fallen in love with this thing. Yes, I know, it’s not a Marshall:)
    Thinking about putting a new (China) Greenback in it and see if it comes alive.
    I realize the new Greenbacks can’t be as good as the old ones made in jolly old England, but how bad/good are the new ones?
    They run about $125 and if that makes me love this amp, I call it money well spent.

2. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Actually all the new greenbacks are made in England again. Both the heritage and the standard. A lot of people like the standard reissue better.

scozz, jeffb, Trapland and 1 other person like this.
  3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

There are so many individual variations on "original" greenbacks, it's hard to say which one is the greenest of them all.

The way I see it is that once they're broken in, reissue Greenbacks, whether Chinese or UK made, sound like Greenbacks. I have some of both Chinese and UK versions,
    and I'm not going to tell you that I can really tell the difference.

The G12M65 Creamback may interest you as well. Think of it as a higher power rated Greenback with a slightly clearer voice. It's definitely one of my favorite speakers alongside the Greenback.

4. JParry335

Great intel guys! Thanks for the info!

5. Trapland

Trapland Running Into Walls Silver Supporting Member

The g12m-65s I’ve owned were VERY dark. So dark that I could hear zero difference with the presence control off or full. Maybe I just had a bad 5.

Count me as preferring the standard Chinese greenback over the UK heritage model. Brighter, generally wider frequency response, more mid-high harmonics. I’ve owned at least a dozen Heritage 20-25-30 watt Greenbacks and they all sounded dark to me. And people say the highs get softer after break-in....they were all too dark and sterile for me when new. Not the Chinese ones, and definitely not the pulsonic coned vintage ones.

GIBSON67 and JParry335 like this.
  6. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I actually like the Chinese greenie over the heritage 55hz.. the 55hz had too much focused "honk" that it's hard the dial out with eq....

JParry335 likes this.
  7. Most_Triumphant

Most_Triumphant Member

I am also curious about this. I currently have some 70th Anniversaries that have a very wide frequency response that I like. I'm thinking about picking up some Greenbacks to compare them to.

JParry335 likes this.
  8. Robus

Robus Well-Known Member

Where are the standards made?

JParry335 likes this.
  9. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I've recently built a Princeton Reverb (with tweaked PI and minus trem) and I tried a few of my spare speakers (G12M green backs, Alnico Gold, G12-65) and found a Scumback G12H30 55Hz speaker that suited it well as it is 100dB sensitivity, clear and bright and the humble Princeton drives it pretty well. So you could use one of those or a Celestion Heritage, but I guess in Arizona the Scumback might be cheaper.

JParry335 likes this.
  10. proxy

proxy Well-Known Member

55Hz speaker requires TV cabinet.
    Otherwise high frequencies are not pleasant...pretty sharp.... ear piercing ....

Jim Jones and JParry335 like this.
  11. Most_Triumphant

Most_Triumphant Member

Standard Greenbacks are made in the UK now as of April 2018.

JParry335 and Robus like this.
  12. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

The Heritage 55Hz are pretty bright and take a lot of breaking in. The Scumback I have was already broken in so not an issue.

I've had the Anniversary speakers before and did not care for them in a Marshall 2x12 but YMMV.

JParry335 likes this.
  13. AMPPILOT

AMPPILOT Active Member

You nailed it right first . Fender are great amps ...but most sound like Fenders

its not a Marshall .

If you are looking for that sweet classical 60's tone . Then...

buy a real Marshall sound .....save you money ....don't waste time on gimmicks that are suppose to sound like old Marshalls you are hearing your guitar gods play. save up ...buy vintage or HW Marshall reissue .

JParry335 and proxy like this.
  14. JParry335

I have and have always had Marshalls and Fenders. I didn’t buy the PR expecting it to be Marshall-like. I used to play my “70 SFDR thru a 1960AX cab with Greenbacks and it was a glorious sound. I use different amps for different applications. A speaker swap can make an enormous difference in the performance of an amp. Hence my OP. I’ve been around long enough to not get hung up on the “gimmicks”.

scozz and Most_Triumphant like this.
  15. vtrain

vtrain Well-Known Member

I'd try the Mojotone Watch Tower speakers, they're supposed to be rebadged Celestion G12C Greenbacks, which were pretty universally well liked when they were sold in Marshall cabs and amps.

16. Trapland

Trapland Running Into Walls Silver Supporting Member

Interesting. I bought a pair of the Heritage 55hz and compared then with a pair of ‘72 55hz pulsonics, a pair of 55hz Mueller, and a pair of Scumback reconed 55hz Greenbacks the Heritage were so dark I found them unusable. They were new, but only got darker with time. Maybe I got a bad pair.

Edit: All of the English heritage greenback varieties I’ve tried have been very dark, the 30 watt 55’s and 75s, and the 20 watt special one from the #1974 amp and extension cab. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    GIBSON67 likes this.
  17. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

^^I think the dust cap they put on the Heritage models cuts some highs...it does look different than vintage models. Heritage GB and EVH were this way for me.

Trapland likes this.
  18. JParry335

Update! Found a nice deal on a chicom GB on amazon for 75 bucks. Swapped the C-Rex out for it and the blanket came off that amp. Now. i can keep it. Thought I was going to have to unload the PR but it’s now quite useable.

Trapland, GIBSON67 and Dogs of Doom like this.
  19. Joe Levens

Joe Levens New Member

I believe the greenback G12M has, for at least the last few years, been manufactured in both the UK and China. If you go through Musician's Friend or maybe Sweetwater you can haggle a bit on the price. I was able to get one from one of those sites for about $100 two years ago, new, made in China. I cannot say if it actually sounds better than one made in UK, and I'm a bit spoiled in that I have some G12-65s from 1980 that just sound sooo good, but the China greenback from 2018 does sound pretty damn good.

Trapland, tce63 and JParry335 like this.
  20. JParry335

Yep. I’m liking this one for sure!

tce63 likes this.