Grecos are just as..

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by J Saw, Sep 30, 2020.

1. NoelH

NoelH Member

I had an '81 Greco LP Standard. Very good guitar. I just didn't bond with it. Greco is basically Ibanez meant to stay in Japan. I played a killer Tokai 335 last week. Utterly a monster. The shop said it was a 1998. $700. And worth WAY more in terms playability and tone.
    My two main guitars are 1976 Destroyer (with a Floyd routed in by Gary Brower) and a 1983 that I turned into a 'Phil Collen'. They absolutly kill!
    My next guitar will either be an Ibanez PF300 or an Orville LP Custom.

I should add that Gibson quality control has seemed to have declined over the years. I've played a lot of Gibsons in the last several years that were absolute dogs. Then again, the right Les Paul is magical. My friend's 1970's Custom is one. Pancake body at nearly 10 lbs. But for some reason it's amazing.
    Oddly, I played an Eastman SB59 (kinda LP-ish) with a violin finish. Unbelievably great guitar. Played and sounded unreal. Chinese made, but geez, it was great.
    You can never just assume the name on a headstock will guarantee the guitar is great.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  2. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Reading this makes me think the quality level is much higher on Japenese import guitars versus Chinese copies . The reason i write this is that the Japenese are more concientous of quality build as it is a pride thing also because they are much bigger fans as evidenced on a number of different things . The Chinese are more intersted in mass producing and making money which is what a business is supposed to do . Also back in the 70's when the term "Lawsuit guitars " was coined the Japenese were really trying very hard to fill a void of quality at an affirdable price point . There are a lot of high quality Japnese solidbodies and hollowbodies .

Exotic and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. fkooeks

fkooeks New Member

I am new at this forum, just joined a few weeks ago. I am from Canada, https://populationstat.com/canada/vancouver. And I appear here just from time to time and study the forum for now. So what is meant by Grecos? I assume it is a guitar or am I wrong? Please let me know a bit more about this resource. Where are the participants from and your hobbies? I would like to learn it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Exotic likes this.
  4. JP2036

JP2036 Member

When played thur a Soldano SLO.

Sapient, Exotic and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Greco is a brand of the Kanda Shokai Corporation, manufacture outsourced to subcontract factories. https://japtone.com/en/chapter-iii-history-greco-the-les-paul-era/ Scroll down to "Super Real Series" and "Mint Collection Series". These are the best of the Greco LP copies, made in the Fuji-Gen Gakki factory, which made many other brands, including Fender Japan. Copies were made according to budget (EGF850 meant 85000 yen, flametop-veneer to meet budget). EGF1800 was solid flametop, 180000 yen in 1980-81. Equivalent Mint Collection was fully historically accurate (long tenon neck joint). No sonic or playing benefit over an EGF1200 veneer flametop, as it also came with the top-spec Dry-Z pups and Honduras Mahogany body/neck, and Brazilian Rosewood fretboard.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Exotic likes this.
  6. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

grecos are BETTER than a gibson when :
    it's one of these ! 66516056_143337886763967_1543047134626953998_n.jpg

jimmyjames and Sapient like this.