Grecos are just as..

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by J Saw, Sep 30, 2020.

1. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

:coffee:
    :ugh:

Exotic and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

That one? A lot! :lol:

But it seems that right now the going price for that model, the 60's era Sears/Danelectro with the amp-in-case is around $400-$500 dollars.

That's for the single pickup model that Sears sold back then for around $50-60 dollars..The double pickup model (Like Pagey's) would go for a bit more.

Those are actually pretty cool guitars, but WAY overpriced IMO. However, even stuff like Teisco Del Rays are selling for stupid prices nowadays..I love vintage gear, but the prices on a lot of that old cheap Japanese entry-level stuff is ridiculous.

But the bottom line (for me) is there's no way in hell would I pay Gibson prices for a Gibson copy of any kind, I don't care if "it's just as good as a real Gibson, nor how "collectable" it is!

Exotic, El Gringo and dragonvalve like this.
  3. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Damrn right and the spoken truth . Like the idiot over on the other forum who Mike tossed off after he kept making all these ridculous claims and staments such as "the wood doesn't matter and with different pickups it could be better than a Gibson " as if and when pigs fly ( not the Pink Floyd pig ) so absurd .

Exotic and Deep Purple fan like this.
  4. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

As much as i hate to admit it there is truth to that statement

Exotic likes this.
  5. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

Japan in the music industry has been a staunch supporter. Musicians get support from Japanese fans.

Brad Gilis who uses the original non-fine tuner Floyd which is hard to find, was given a bridge by a fan.

In the series Treme, an episode shows a Louisiana jazz musician lost his horn during Katrina and saw it in a pawn shop. He didn't have the money to redeem it, no way to prove it was his, but a fan from Japan flew all the way to Louisiana to purchase the horn for his idol and just gave him the horn.

I read somewhere that a Japanese instrument maker went to Leo's old office in Fullerton and just sat there in the room to soak up "essences?" or "vibes" if you will to see if he could figure out what made Leo come up with the ideas he had. Was it a harmonious location effect?

But through the years even though Japan copied more than innovated, they tried their best to put their best foot forward. Of course for copyright reasons they were limited to what or how good they could make things.

A guitar that gets much attention is the Ibanez Musician bass that although is a copy of an Alembic, the guitar was a staple in British studios and there was a period where much of the music we heard was made with that bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Active Member

My old Hondo Les Paul was my 2nd electric guitar ever and it was bought off of my grandfather for $30. It sounds insanely good. Came from the factory with U.S. made DiMarzios. Don't know what kind, but they rip.

7. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When you gotta turn it over to British Airways , Untied or whatever air carrier du jour

8. dragonvalve

Although the guitars made in Japan depending on the build attempt (pro or entry) are good there always seems to be something in the shape and feel of the instrument that is not American.

There was a time right when Fender was losing their company when CBS was shedding loose skin that the guitars they authorized Japan to build were just like the ones built in California.

That said I don't know if its a copyright issue or the way they from their culture view an instrument's shape that presents this outcome.

Do notice that guitar slingers like Josat and Vai, George Benson sport Japan built guitars as did those that used ESP and Yamaha. Whether that was hinged on an endorsement issue or they just liked the feel and performance of the guitar is not clear and would be nice if they, the artists, chimed in about that.

Would like to know if the build trend as regards an artist's need in an instrument really changed and as Johnston wrote in China Grove, "the ways of an oriental view."

From the builders of Jackson Charvel in Japan rose the builder to create Caparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've played the Horus, the yellow one in particular to get a sense of what "feel" components Itaru Kanno who was part of Jackson Charvel design division, built into the Caparison.

[​IMG]
    Itaru Kanno

It is worth noting that instrument builds evolve and a musician's approach to an instrument does as well.

Those that consider a Greco on par with a Gibson may fall in the above category of a different approach to an instrument's feel.

Mutation and crossbreeding is inevitable.

Exotic likes this.
  9. Wezie Guitar lover

Wezie Guitar lover Well-Known Member

I love and want these Greco Shrike guitars but they go for too much money. My Facebook buddy Mike Dougan demoing one. He sold a expensive Gibson a while back. He plays in a band and dose demo's for Frank Myers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. AlvisX

I had that top one in a 12 string for awhile

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Sustainium, Exotic, scozz and 3 others like this.
  11. AlvisX

Greco "Custom" I brought home from Japan in '04

[​IMG]

Sustainium, Exotic, mirrorman and 2 others like this.
  12. dragonvalve

Wow, I like the looks of that!

[​IMG]

13. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

I can personally attest that a 1981 Greco Super Real EGF850 (purchased for AUD600, around US420) outsang and outplayed several current LP Standards (and an '83 I tried, with Shaw PAFs) and a Heritage H150, and took it up to a beautiful 2018 Traditional. My 1982 Greco Mint Collection EGC68-80 Custom (AUD1000 including SD pups, around US700) went toe-to-toe with a 3-pup Bareknuckle Mule-loaded H150 a few years ago, and matched it with a Navigator Custom (twice its price). I bought a 1980 Super Real EGF1200 last year from a(nother) forum peer, easily fixed headstock break, thus unplayed before handing cash over. Original Dry Z pups, Honduras body and neck, Braz fingerboard. With intact headstocks, these sell for around half-2/3 the price of an R8/R9 down here. I would put mine up against any Gib CS RI.

14. Wezie Guitar lover

Wezie Guitar lover Well-Known Member

What was it like to play? Neck profile etc.. ?

Exotic likes this.
  15. AlvisX

As I recall (20yrs) , it did play pretty well . The neck profile was fairly medium .It was not too pencil-y ,or I wouldn't have been able to play it . Kinda wish Id kept it .A cool trade popped up and I went for it

16. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I know this is a slammable thing to say, but....................

In my brief period of doing custom guitar work, the Hondo Les Paul that I was customizing was really poor quality.

Exotic likes this.
  17. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I'm curious about those Zemaitis licensed Greco guitars.

I've come across real Zemaitis guitars but the cost is too high.

Exotic likes this.
  18. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Active Member

I'm not gonna slam you. Mine is one of the super early ones. Not nearly the same as the cheaper Hondo II knockoffs.

Exotic likes this.
  19. neilrocks25

neilrocks25 New Member

They are not better but still good, and I have played a lot of guitars in second hand stores in Japan, I also own a Greco. Good but not the the best.

Exotic likes this.
  20. MullardFillmore

MullardFillmore New Member

I owned a 1978 Greco LP. Of the 30+ Gibson LP’s I’ve owned the Greco would be in the top 5.

Sustainium and Exotic like this.