Got my JCM800, ditch my Katana MKII Artist?

5TIMBO

Reaction score
When I sell anything I always consider how much it would be to replace it. For example when I had a JVM, all 6 times I sold them for the same as I purchased them so great. However when I bought my JVMJS for £600 and sold it for £700, it was a stupid sell as they are a lot harder to get and double the price to replace.

What I am trying to say is. If you can sell it, and then replace it at the same cost, then go for it.

All that being said, unlike most tube amps, digital gear tends to depreciate at an alarming rate, especially once version 2 arrives. They sometimes have a very short shelf life and a bad ROI so leaving them in the corner gathering dust is just a huge loss of money.

But all in all, well done on the purchase of the SC20, great amp. Own one and love the damn thing.

As for the multi effects, I gave up on them as out of the 500 effects or so that they offer, I would only ever use delay and overdrive, so in the end I find them overkill f(I do own an axe fx 3, and I very rarely use anything but the IRs)

Personally, I would sit down and think of what effects you would really use. If it’s just delay and reverb for example, get a strymon. It’s better to have one hot women than 100 ugly ones.
Idk about 1 hot woman vs 100. If the one is pissed, you ain't getting any "#1" if you can feel me. On the other hand, of 100, one is mad, there 99% chance she'll convince the 99 to be mad at you too, and again, still no "#1" . So the math right there should tell you to just do it the old fashion way and piss em all off and buy more guitars/amps. Forget the women lol

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Definitely solid advice…
Im thinking if my Marshall takes a dump I can plug my headphones into the GX-100 and practice with that until I repair the amp. Also, im looking into getting another tube amp, albeit smaller, to have a some variety too…

I do have a 1993 Peavey Super Chorus 212 with the celestion speakers, but I’m in the middle of finding someone who can fix a broken push-pull pot on it, apparently my local Peavey shop can’t fix it, he says Peavey don’t make that lot anymore 🙄, but that’s a different story…
I remember the BS they gave you about not be able to replace the pot.

Total BS.

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Idk about 1 hot woman vs 100. If the one is pissed, you ain't getting any "#1" if you can feel me. On the other hand, of 100, one is mad, there 99% chance she'll convince the 99 to be mad at you too, and again, still no "#1" . So the math right there should tell you to just do it the old fashion way and piss em all off and buy more guitars/amps. Forget the women lol
You find me a woman that a man can not piss off, and I will show you a man dressed as a woman.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I would sell the Katana as long as you could get some money for it.
Maybe they'll bring out a newer version next year, then nobody will want the old one anymore, except for very little money then.
That's one of the major drawbacks when buying that modeling (and some similar solid state based) stuff - it's basically the same as with old pcs.
A good and popular all-tube amp keeps its value better.
The funny thing is that people keep saying amps are a dead thing. Any decent amp that comes through the local GC sells incredibly fast.

Sacalait

Reaction score
I bought a Katana Artist MKII about a year and a half ago. Literally every other amp I own is tube. I like it and plan on keeping it. I have two Marshalls- JVM205H and an SV20H. The Katana is more useful for some of the gigs I do with cover bands but I understand you don't do any gigging. I'd say if you can afford to keep it, do. It's a great amp with all the modern bells and whistles. Probably better to practice on because it will help with the longevity of the tubes in the Marshall. And when you can crank that Katana on 50 or 100 watts it sounds pretty badass!

jchrisf

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im in a dilemma here. I purchased a Katana MkII Artist 100 amp and played it for almost one year, loved playing with presets, downloading patches and so on . Shortly after, I came came across some cash and was able to purchase my first tube amp (JCM800 SC20) and love the thing, I started getting a few pedals too and really started enjoying the analog set up (basic pedals, nothing fancy: overdrive, distortion, delay, reverb chorus, GE-7 EQ, tuner and a comp). My Katana hasnt been touched more than 2 times in the last 6 months.

I've recently made the decision to get a Multi effect processor for my marshall, and Im currently leaning towards Boss GX-100 (4CM, effects only, got no interest on digital Amp or Cab variations), which also gives me the option to play with presets and such whenever I feel like going back to those, but this time on my tube amp instead of the Katana MKII.

I dont intend to ditch my pedal board, just want to experiment with a multi effect processor for a bit since I've never dealt with one.

I dont gig, mostly home playing.

So, with my tube amp that I totally love, a pedal set up that I really enjoy and a multi effect processor to play and experiment, I dont see myself using my katana again anytime soon, is it time to send it to a better home? I know there's usually a tendency to collect amps, different styles, etc, but I just dont see the sense of keeping a great amplifier that I know I prolly wont use, especially now that I'll have the GX-100 to scratch the "preset itch"...

Am I missing something here? should I just keep it? Or should I sell it and put that money away for my next tube amp?

Any input appreciated!
I'm just curious.. how'd the Katana sound?

Vortac

Reaction score
Katana sounded good, nothing against it, just obviously not a tube sound. I really wasn’t using it much at all.

I ended up selling it for $540. Sold it to a kid that’s definitely gonna use it a lot more than I would’ve…

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
……….I'll put that money away and start eyeballing some small 5-10 watt tube amp to mess around at home. I really dont need a back up since I dont gig, ……….
Congrats on your SC20, great amp!

How about posting your opinions here,…

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
So I take it the Katana is one of those modeling amps?

If that's the case, and you now have a tube amp and analog effects that you're really getting into, you would have used the modeler very little, if at all. Modelers are basically designed to emulate tube amps, and IMHO they do it with varying degrees of success.

I personally hate modeling amps and would never spend any amount of money on one! But that's just me, and I have in the past ruffled some feathers on here by being too outspoken about my dislike for them. So I'll leave my personal opinions on modelers at that.. :rolleyes:

You now have the real deal, and in addition to that tube amps can be repaired fairly easily compared to a modeler. Yes, tubes go bad and have to be replaced, and tube amps need repair from time to time. But if a modeling amp goes kaput, you would have to be some kind of tech whiz to repair it, or have access to someone who is. So in that case you're pretty much SOL..Especially as far as selling it goes. And letting it sit unused probably wouldn't have been good for it either.

Also, as has already been mentioned, in regard to modelers as soon as the 2.0 version or whatever one chooses to call it comes out, the older version will not be worth much and would have been hard to sell for any decent amount of $$. Good move on selling it, use the money toward another tube amp and some spare tubes!

Last edited:

Vortac

Reaction score
Congrats on your SC20, great amp!

How about posting your opinions here,…

My bad, hadn’t seen this sub-forum. I’ll check it out!

MantraSky

Reaction score
If you can afford it, I would keep the Katana (just in case). Around the home you never know, you might want to experiment with different tones, possibly one day you might want to get into recording? (recording I love the most!!)
I do prefer "Tube Amps" particularly 100w with great master-volume (though I do have a PS100 and RockCrusher) I would play tube amps most of the time, though I own an AxEfxIII & Kemper (for studio session convenience).

One day you might find something else, then make a decision.....

Vortac

Reaction score
If you can afford it, I would keep the Katana (just in case). Around the home you never know, you might want to experiment with different tones, possibly one day you might want to get into recording? (recording I love the most!!)
I do prefer "Tube Amps" particularly 100w with great master-volume (though I do have a PS100 and RockCrusher) I would play tube amps most of the time, though I own an AxEfxIII & Kemper (for studio session convenience).

One day you might find something else, then make a decision.....
Well, the Katana is already sold, but I do have a GX-100 in case I need to scratch back the itch at some point 😂

MantraSky

Reaction score
Well, the Katana is already sold, but I do have a GX-100 in case I need to scratch back the itch at some point 😂
I do know what you mean, I have a little backup myself...you never know.

Last edited: