Got another Jimi Strat

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Wow, that guitar looks like a lot of fun! Love the reversed pickup

Is there still one of his strats at the EMP museum? It was out for 'restoration' when I went, but seeing Brownie and the 'Duane' burst was a pretty good consolation!
Yes the "Woodstock" was on display as of last year, unfortunately I did not see the remaining piece of the Monterey Strat or the Saville Strat my last visit. Those were the highlights in my opinion along with his "Butterfly" costume as seen at Atlanta, Isle of Wight and many other's from the '70 tour.

At one time they had one of his Superlead half stacks, Fuzz Face, King Vox Wah, Roger Mayer Octavio and one of his Uni-vibes. They also had one of Mitch's kits and one of Noel's Marshall Rigs and bass.

I remember visiting it often in the first 10 years of the museum opening and the Hendrix exhibit was the focal point. Now it's kinda small and underwhelming compared to how massive it used to be.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I really liked the sound of that Jimi Strat.

I just was very clumsy with my right forearm.

I actually prefer the upside down set up these days. If you watch Jimi he kept his forearm between the input jack and the controls, which give you a lot of room to strum near and around the bridge pickup. I feel a lot of guys that try to capture the Hendrix "sound" miss this key piece. Jimi played a lot of rythm strumming up on the neck and around the neck pickup, lead work and solos around the bridge pickup anf sometimes right on top of it. Those strumming positions make a big impact on the timber and note character. Now when I play one of my RH strats I find the volume control too close below the bridge pick up to comfortable play aggressively and relaxed in that area.

I do dig the concept of the RH body with LH or "reversed" elements, quite a beautiful combination of the 2.

junk notes

Reaction score
I will not be taking a router and a drill to a non reliced Fender Custom Shop Strat ;)
Like this guy did:
9822628_23.jpg
138706-cd27a3f8fe9d29f31bef6fa22e29043d.jpg

Jimi-fied ;-)

JK :D
srv_trem.jpg

rock on!

Last edited:

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Like this guy did:
9822628_23.jpg
138706-cd27a3f8fe9d29f31bef6fa22e29043d.jpg

Jimi-fied ;-)

JK :D
srv_trem.jpg

rock on!

X10000000

If you want the Hendrix whammy characteristics I have discovered the upside down tremelo arm seems to makes a difference in it's sweep but I also maybe crazy... I do find the tremelo on my lefty strung righty sounds and feels different. I really wished Fender included this detail when making these Hendrix strats. I think that would make for the perfect blend of a reversed setup on a right handed body. Pretty much only the body and controls would remain correct/right handed.

Anyways, super sweet Strat again! I am very happy for you, I love it!

wayne856

Reaction score
you want a hendrix strat just sting it upside down he didnt worry bout a left handed tremelo he used it the way it was....u want to make it a replica.. take a black or or sunburst one and a can of lighter fluid set it on fire for a few seconds .. there you go...... i read in guitar player yrs ago that when he broke a guitar they would gather up the parts and use what they could to make another guitar

johnny q

Reaction score
That's a nice one!! There is always some great reason for getting a new Strat! Go play "Message To Love" now! :)

Latest posts