Got a JCM900 today, Why do people complain about these?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by malice95, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Tightens up the sound, can be used to create additional voice/tones, and or a leaf boost.

2. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

See that is exactly why Marshall amps are so much fun , besides scarring women and children . The sheer volume is tons of fun . Sometimes when I am playing my 2 half stacks which are on casters I feel this rumble and vibration at my feet and I am like what is that ? and it's only my 2555X's rumbling away . Also what you stated is probably the reason why there are no photos in my room where I play .

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member Double Platinum Supporting Member

I got my mint JCM900 MkIII 2500 for half what a SC20H cost. That's a smoking deal on a made in UK 50 watt full size head Marshall.

4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats @malice95, love the family pic!

Play it in good health my friend!

:cheers:

5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Is that the one you performed that amazing Frankenstein transformation? You kept that amp, right, you didn’t sell it?

coolidge56 likes this.
  6. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

More highs than an 800? Well that could explain the complaining, if they are not careful with the eq. Compounding that would be 90's G12T75s.

7. murgatroid

murgatroid Member

I got a 50 watt jcm 900 head with no verb when they first came out back in the 90s, and it wouldn't really cut through the mix, even when I turned up the mids. So I put some el-34s in there which helped a bit, but unfortunately it still sounded like a can 'o wasps. The 75 watt speakers that came in the jcm 900 4x12 cabs didn't help. I didn't know any better to put an eq in the loop, but that may have helped solve at least part of the equation.

8. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

The basic problem with most people and just about any high gain amp is YOU NEED TO GET THE MASTER VOLUME TO AT LEAST 3 . Master on 0.5 gain on 10 will definitely sound like a chainsaw . It’s not rocket science, more volume and less gain , attenuate if nessasary ( which will almost certainly be the case most of the time ).

ibmorjamn, Guitar Rod, SiCoul and 4 others like this.
  9. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I think speaker choice worked again
    Speaker choice can really work against any amp and the 900 is no exception. I think they sound great with v30s and greenbacks but to me the T75s can sound too scooped when paired with the 900. I am sure you could get around that by putting an EQ in the loop like everyone suggests. Most of my favorite JCM800 tones were modded amps and the 900 to me was basically a hot rodded 800. Great stuff.

10. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

100% agree on that. I just picked up a similar 900, but the SL-X model (same idea though, dual masters, single channel). Since I'd just gotten it, I was playing it loud and proud and having a blast. Last night I was playing it a bit quieter alongside my TSL and thinking huh, I could've sworn I liked the SL-X better but tonight I think the TSL sounds better. Then I had a duh moment, turned them both up a bit, and the SL-X really came alive. I won't say it's objectively better than the TSL, but it seems the older the Marshall the louder it has to be to sound good.

My SL-X on volume "2" is pretty flat sounding. On "3" it becomes a beastly fire breather. In fact, it's the exact amp I used as an example to my girlfriend ("Why do you always play so loud?"), and even she could hear the difference (or maybe she was just being nice, idk, what matters is *I* hear the difference).

I like the T75 I have (recent production) through the SL-X but from clips at least it seems the DR and MkIII's are a bit brighter so it might be too much with those.

The main thing I notice is since it's so scooped, it makes using a tubescreamer cause a REALLY noticeable mid hump in the sound. When I have the same amp hooked up to a V30, it's deeper/smoother all around but the tubescreamer EQ change isn't as noticeable, just sounds like a straight gain boost. Makes the T75 fun to play because it falls back into the mix more easily and then jumps out when I kick the tubescreamer on for a solo or fill line.

11. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

It is nice to see some love for the 900's. I owned a 4100 and it is one of my all time favorite amps. It, being 100 watts, really demanded some volume and was tearing up my ears, so it got sold. I now play a Mesa Mark V but I still miss my DR(although my ears have thanked me ever since, something about that tone really kills hearing or it did mine, my tinnitus has gotten soo much better though, every time I played that amp I had ringing for days).

12. coolidge56

No I refurbished the 100 watt JCM900 MkIII 2100. The 50 watt has yet to be refurbished. Probably going to be a winter holidays project later this year. New filter caps, pots, jacks, etc. I gifted the 100 watt to my nephew, told him here go shred faces.

13. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on your MKIII ! I have been on the hunt for one for a couple months. They are a unicorn.

I did get a mint JCM 900 4100 reissue two weeks ago. I love it. I put 6L6's in it. Yes, you can really sculpt it with an EQ. I have been using the latest MXR 10 band in the loop. The amp loooves G12M-65 Creambacks, and it loves hotter pickups.

Ain't getting rid of it.

14. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have a 4500 (50W Dual Reverb) and it is a great door stop.

But seriously: after I got my Sovtek Mig 50 I never really touched the 900 again. Last time I turned it on (probably 7 years ago) it was blowing fuses and I think a power tube was red plating, so I never got it fixed, and I'm literally using it as a door stop right now.

It's not a bad amp, in fact pretty versatile, but after putting on some hours on the Sovtek the 900 kinda felt like a toy.

15. marshalled

marshalled Active Member

I don't complain because I have slx and mk3 2500 model...

Added to 2x12 2536 is simple powerful, for clean, up second volume e down guitar pot, Sublime.

16. groovenev

groovenev Member

I always used a JMP for years and years and still do but, then about 6 years ago I got a great deal on a JCM900 MKII in mint condition 1 owner. It is much more aggressive as you mentioned for sure but still retains that Marshall punch and full tone. any 80s or 90s sound you can dial it right in. I use is when I need a lower volume crunch sound in a smaller venue and it has a great buffered effects loop!. Enjoy! the Amp!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. coolidge56

Did you know that those early 1990 JCM900's had an error? Marshall installed the wrong value bias resistor resulting in very cold power tube biasing on those amps. They corrected the mistake very late in 1990 production. Both of my 1990 models 2100 and 2500 had the wrong value resistor.

18. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Well-Known Member

I have liked them since i found out one was used for this tone,

Sounds pretty damn good to me tone wise!!
    Disclaimer, It may be a 900 SL-X in that track?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  19. FRED

FRED Member

The 900’s that I’ve played through have been great. I wish I’d bought one way back when...
    It seems that most of the complaints have to do with diode’s. I can see that argument from sort of a “purist” sense...but not really...
    But I don’t hear people complain about pedals for the same thing.
    Who beats up on a tube screamer for using diodes?

As everyone knows, its all about the sound - and how it feels.

cozmacozmy and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Paul-in-KC

Paul-in-KC New Member

Well - the 900's do sound different (as you have noticed). But also have that Marshall sound (one of them). So - how different and if you like it - well that is completely personal. I have a 900 combo and I really like it (though it sounds more "Metal" than my 800 for sure. Both sound like a Marshall. Neither sound like a Plexi. You get the idea.
    Enjoy it - play what you love.

Mitchell Pearrow and murgatroid like this.