Goodmans 241H and early 60s cabs

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by CptZar, Jul 12, 2020.

1. CptZar

CptZar Member

Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 13.49.00.jpg

Beside Celstions also Goodmans are said to have found their way into early 60s Marshall cabs. However infos are rather hard to find. Maybe somebody may shed some light on the matter?

2. Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood Well-Known Member VIP Member

First i have ever heard of it, quite a lot was said as you say but most was totally untrue.

3. CptZar

CptZar Member

Thank you for chiming in Ken Underwood. Looks like you are correct.

4. pulsonicsound

pulsonicsound Well-Known Member

I am sure @BygoneTones will chip in!

The #1935 bass cabs used Goodman's for a short while in 1967(possibly in '66 as well) I have a slant with 2 of them in that's currently being retollexed!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  5. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

I think we had a thread on this a while ago if you search the forum.

The goodmans were used in 4x12 bass cabs when they first came out in late 66 or early 67. But it was only for a few months, and then they switched to the T1511 Celestions in mid 67.

If you have the Doyle book, look on page 173 at the 1967 catalogue and you can see it mentioned there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Although these speakers look very different they are actually the same speaker model. Just with a different chassis design. The bottom photo is the newer design, and the top photo is the older chassis design.

The speaker model appears to be '177/1240/15' and they have the cone stamp '1240'. I have only ever seen this goodmans model in Marshall cabs, and a few years ago I went through a phase of buying various goodmans.

Im pretty sure I've also seen 10" goodmans used in basketweave PA cabs, with Marshall labels on the back. Haven't owned any though, only seen them on ebay.

6. CptZar

CptZar Member

Thank you for all the infos Bygone Tones. Hoped you would shed some light.

Found some info here and there in the forum, but nothing really reliable. With reference to the Marshall catalog in the Doyle book things are clear now.

Will save this to my files!

7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Do you know if they both sound the same? They look like totally different animals.