good volume pots for a guitar?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by kharvelan, Jan 22, 2009.

1. kharvelan

kharvelan New Member

I'm wondering if you folks could point me in the direction of really good volume pots for my guitar. Currently, my volume pots just are loud, or shut off the pickup, so I need to know whats the best thing to get a good rolling volume. If I need to replace caps as well, that's cool too.

Currently I'm using my schecter damian with stock electronics except for an EVO2 pickup I tossed in it. The evo sounds amazing, but I want to be able to roll back volume at times (like in the quiet parts of hot for teacher).

any tips, links, and info would be great.

thanks in advance!

2. smb_

smb_ New Member

I suggest the RS Guitarworks superpots if you need 500k pots.
    They're AWESOME, nice even volume contol and your tone won't change as you change the volume either.

RS Guitarworks

Great site, good customer service, fast shipping!

3. kharvelan

kharvelan New Member

ok here's something I've wondered about a while, how do I determine what kind of pots I need? 500k, 250k etc? I mean I can match what I have, sure, but what exactly does this affect? I've never had a clear understanding on how the impedence differences affect tone / volume etc.

4. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

Usually I'd say that symptom is due to a volume pot resisitance incommpatability. As a basic rule, you'd use 250's for Single coil pickups and 500's for humbuckers.

When you're using the wrong match you usually get one of two symptoms
    a) Volume 1=nothing, 2=something, 3=LOUD, 4-10=the same
    b) 1-8=nothing, 9=something, 10=LOUD
    If you get "nothing then LOUD" anywhere in the middle, then the pot is shot!

I'll assume it's a regular Schecter Damien (superstrat design with hot HB's?)
    Then it would likely already have 500 pots. Did the pots always operate this way, or just start to do this? If they just started they may just need replacing. Or did this issue start when you installed the EVO2? Are you the original owner? Is is possible some other mods were done to the guitar in the past.

Nowadays you can also get 1Meg pots. I think these are for hot HBs.
    (humbuker pickups, not hardbody people)

Maybe 1Meg pot might help?

5. kharvelan

kharvelan New Member

yeah these pots have always sucked.

the schecter comes with emg-hz pickups in stock, I replaced the bridge with the evo2, I'm gonna try the 500s and give that a go and I'll try the ones from RS guitarworks.

you folks think I should get an orange cap and new tone as well ? That one exhibits that same behavior.