Going to try Tung Sol

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by CraigP, Jul 6, 2019.

1. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Will sound much better than JJs IMO!

2. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

Tube depot is awesome! I recently chucked a JJ from V1 and put a tung sol in its place, instantly better!

wakjob likes this.
  3. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

i too like tung sol 12ax7, very alive sounding.
    a bit more subtle and current favorites for any other position other than v1 are these TAD 7025 wa high grade, they look chinese but the force is telling me they're good. i scored maybe 20-30 new tubes in a deal, and it's fun just going through them to see what they sound like.
    some preamp tubes are unfortunately uninspiring,

lordquilton likes this.
  4. Emtbreid

I couldn’t get rid of that JJ fast enough. I want to get another for V2 to see how it sounds.

5. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

JJ el-34 is ok... Their ecc83s (not the ecc803) are frickin noisy when everything's dimed... Notes tend to die off quicker...the note is somewhat thicker and compressed...

Metropolis and Germino seems to favor the CP Mullard's for their amp so I started using them across the board.... I like the "rattiness and snarl" when the amp is played wide open...

Shuguang El-34L are actually a great tube.. they tend to provide more headroom and airyness compare to other el-34's I've used...

6. MarshallDog

I have a lot of JJ's sitting around, just dont care for their really aggreesive compressed tone, or at least thats what it sounds like to me?

7. MarshallDog

I do find that when I use the Tung-Sol 12AX&s and the Tung-Sol EL34s together, it sounds like more bass is added to my ears which in not necessarily a bad thing depending on the amp.

8. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I used to poo-poo JJ 12ax7's for being too dark or dull, lacking in harmonic complexity yada yada yada...

Until I started messing around with modern "hi-fi-high-gain" amps like Engl's and EVH ect...my Blackmore amp seemed to only like JJ pre's for some reason. Long plates at that.

But yeah for me, the go-to v1 12ax7 is a CP Tung-Sol.
    Like you said, so "alive" sounding /feeling.

And their EL84's are the most "voxy" sounding that I've tried so far.

9. Jeff Hudson

Jeff Hudson Active Member

In my experience, work on the preamp first, then if needed go to the power amp.

Emtbreid likes this.
  10. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

As far as current production tubes go ( pre or power ) you can’t beat electro harmonix imo ( shuguangs pretty damn good as well ) .

wakjob and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

If they have been tested, various brands will be ok. FWIW, my newly arrived Carr Mercury V has an EH in V1, unbranded (Shuguang?) in V2, EH in V3, Sovtek in V4, and matched Tung-Sol 6V6s. The guys at Carr ain't gunna use 'em if they are compromised, and the amp sounds fantastic even at break-in stage :yesway:

Ufoscorpion likes this.
  12. Emtbreid

I’m about two weeks out from my changing to tung sol in V1 of my DSL401, and still sounds amazing. Between that, a tubescreamer mini up front, and an mxr 10 band in the loop it sounds incredible. Still planning to get another tung sol to add to V2 (currently all JJ in v2/3/4.

CraigP likes this.
  13. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I've used JJ's for years with no problems in my Marshalls. I like how they sound. Now my Fender blues deluxe is another issue. That amp seems to shit out tubes fast no matter what the brand. After a while I get the crackling and popping sound. Pisses me off that tubes don't last as long in that amp. I've been kicking around the idea of trying tung sol in the blues deluxe.

CraigP likes this.