>

Going to try Tung Sol

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by CraigP, Jul 6, 2019.

1. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Yessir, exactly!! If anyone has a preference, good for them. Personally, I'm good with unmatched preamp tubes at this time (subject to change at a later date).

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  2. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

Been using the Tungsol EL 34B's in matched pairs & quads for about 8 years. Sound fantastic & never had a problem in 3 amps that all get plenty of use.
    I used to be a SED =C= fan but can honestly say i like the Tungsol better.
    Just a great tube.

grainman, Trelwheen, 2203xman and 3 others like this.
  3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

unless you like JJ tubes. He's committed.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Haha. I really like the sound I have now with the JJ in that amp. Won't be hurting anything to try something new or to have as backups. Hell, I may become the next Tung-Sol fan boy LOL

5. solarburnDSL50

I wouldn't let anyone sway me one way or the other.

I've got plenty of ANOS and current tubes. Explore. Buy some and play. Ears are just too different. So are amp circuits.

I just can't stand regurgitated web advice. Some things you need to use. For real. Practical experience beats bloated gear advice every time.

6. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm just getting to the point where I will be needing to replace tubes so I may just as well start building my laboratory and stocking up on various makes.

7. solarburnDSL50

However...I would roll V1&V2 and see what happens. For the PI a nice neutral tube works great. Fuck matching any preamp tubes. Power tubes more of a necessity.

Look forward to what You find bro. I hope it's all good!

Mitchell Pearrow and CraigP like this.
  8. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Tungsol EL 34Bs sounds great cranked in my 1987x.Tuff too,they know nothing but hard labor in my amp.Good stuff.

9. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Great advice! I like to read this stuff on here, but in the end I like to make my own assumptions/decisions/comparisons...and same with speakers, too.
    There are still thousands upon thousands of OS 12AX7's out there at good prices, so why limit yourself to CP tubes. Just don't ever think that this or that
    is the "Holy Grail" then you can truly try some stuff without being influenced by others opinions. And usually those strong opinions come from people trying to
    sell their crap or trying to justify a purchase.

10. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Joe speaks the TRUTH!

11. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

New tubes arrived, two days earlier than expected!! TubeDepot packed them up very well and everything arrived unscathed. I bought the tube set by doing the amp selection chart and went with the "High Quality" tube set which turned out to be Tung-Sol pre and power tubes. My DSL40C came stock with all JJ tubes and this was the first time I have touched them other than to check and tweak the bias. I had no issues with these and really like the sound, although the noise floor could be a little lower, but, not a big deal running higher gain at volume.

The Tung-Sol are current production and the packaging was in excellent condition as was the general appearance of the tubes. TubeDepot even tested and marked the power tubes after testing and matching the set. Not sure what it means, but, these are marked with "25" on the box. Tubes went in perfectly and biased quickly with very minor adjustment of the pot for the left tube. They sound really good and have a lower noise floor along with maybe a little less gain. I will tweak and turn some knobs and may experiment with the bias later on.

So far, so good. Now to decide if I want to leave them in or save as spares for backup. The JJ are approximately 3 years old and sound good as new. Decisions, decisions LOL

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  12. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I've had some Tung Sol power tubes I really like. I have had a couple die quickly in the PI slot. Can't recall which amps. Not a problem with any other brands in there. Not sure why but I'm not using Tung Sols in the PI anymore.

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I bought 3 Tungsol preamp tubes a couple years ago, they did not last long 2 have died since, I wont be buying Tungsol ever again...

solarburnDSL50 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  14. solarburnDSL50

Man I remember some of the techs saying they don't hold up in cascaded gain stages which means V3 and PI of the DSL?

I'm thinking V1 is fine. V2 as well?

15. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

I guess I will find out soon enough! They look perty LOL so I hope they are built as good as they look.

16. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

About 8 months ago, I bought 4 new JJ ECC83 preamp tubes to replace the Marshall labeled originals in my DSL401. At first, sounded ok, but here lately hasn’t been sounding to great... maybe a bit muddy? I went to guitar center and snagged a Tung Sol 12ax7 to load into V1 and wow, what a difference! Going to grab another for v2 very soon!

17. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I’ve used these pre amp tubes for a while in my amps. I like them.

Mitchell Pearrow and CraigP like this.
  18. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

I have been using a matched pair of Tung-Sol 6L6GC STR and 12AX7's in my Hot Rod Deluxe for about 6 years now, no issues whatsoever and I must say that the break up of the 6L6 when pushed on the Clean channel is very, very nice.

19. SlapHand

SlapHand Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Why the need for matched Power Tubes in an amp with individual bias adjustment? I've even had different brands in my DSL 40c with no issues...

20. solarburnDSL50

convenience and simple bias range adjustment. I mean some tubes will have a wide bias spread for what ever reason. As long as they are within range it doesn't matter.

Try having an amp with a quad bias. Each tube can be biased. Not pairs. Useful? Yes. Hassle? Yeah. A bit.