Going through strings...

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by iron broadsword, Jan 14, 2016.

1. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

I'm using DR DDT 12-60 to compensate for drop Bb (feels like using 10's in standard), and I am breaking one at the 4 week mark regularly. By 3 weeks they sound dead. I do play a lot, probably 10 solid hours a week, and I use .88 picks but man! I spend a lot of money on strings!

I used to use ernie ball strings but I only only ever got 2 weeks out of those, max. For all you heavy hitters out there.. is this you? Or am I the hulk trying to work a smartphone here?

2. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's time to do some exploring with other strings. Daddarios?

3. iron broadsword

4. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of D'Addario - great strings and reasonably priced. I am a "heavy hitter" and was a chronic string breaker in years past (pretty much always at the bridge). The biggest change for me was finding Graph Tech String Saver saddles years ago, the vast majority of my guitars have them (I even have some of their tune-o-matic bridges). It is *extremely* rare for me to break a string on my String Saver guitars, it's been years for sure. Still, I got in the habit of changing frequently, typically new strings for every gig (2 gigs per set at most). Generally I prefer the feel and tone of relatively fresh strings and at around $3 per set it's not breaking the bank. For around the house use I just change them when they start to feel/sound bad, I'm sure I have some guitars with months old sets on them. YMMV...

5. iron broadsword

I'm using a PRS singlecut, so afaik I don't have alternate bridge options. I do break them at the bridge though, but usually it's where the pick hits.

6. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Trem?
    http://www.graphtech.com/products/b...00-string-saver-originals-prs-tremolo-saddles

EDIT: Ah... I see in your avatar, looks like a wraparound bridge? Dunno if these fit PRS but they do make wraparound models:
    http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/resomax/resomax-wraparound-bridges

I even have the saddles on my Wilkinson, I prefer the metal models on my Strats but these are the original style black ones:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. 1neeto

1neeto Well-Known Member

Which string and where does it break? Those are some thick strings to break. Even if it's the high e.

8. Macro

Macro Well-Known Member

The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
    Fwiw, I play 10's and probably put way more than 10 hours per week on my main guitar. While they 'dead' after a little while, I can recall breaking a string in at least 10-15 years.

I play 1.2mm picks and play pretty hard at times.

Might be your strings, your bends, picking angle....something.
    Try new strings and see what happens.

9. iron broadsword

It's usually the 52, (2nd), but often the 60.

Wrap tail bridge, yeah.

10. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

I switched to D'Addarios over 20 years ago (mostly 9's-9.5's and sometimes 10's) because of breakage (I actually like their tone over GHS as well)...
    I play as low as C# and use Dunlop .38mm & .46mm Nylon picks...and play on the rounded side not the point..
    The only time I break a string...is well after the sweat rust forms..

Music style...think Slayer...so yeah, fast and furious.

Now that all being said...make sure the saddles are rounds and smooth...especially Floyd Rose License brands...the saddles aren't very hard so grooves to form.
    On Gibson style tune-o-matics...if you are using to big of a gauge for the saddle cut...that could be your pinch point for breaking.

11. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Man I used to think I used some pretty stout picks but lately I've been seeing and hearing about lots and lots of people using thicker yet. I get to rocking out pretty hard too but evidently not like some of you guys. I'll generally use rather unspectacular strings, Ernie Ball power slinky, in the purple package, and pick-wise I have always favored a .60 mm tortex over anything else. I haven't broken a string in ages. If/when I do have a break it's almost always at the bridge. Perhaps I'm not as rough as I think on the strings and now that I think about it, I usually have to keep my right hand under pretty tight control for precision stuff (typically fast thrashy riffs where pick hand dexterity and accuracy is key).

Maybe I'm not rockin' hard enough.

I'll be in the corner administering 100 lashes to myself for not rocking with the force of a thousand suns......I am ashamed

12. Oldpunk

Oldpunk Well-Known Member

Get some D'addario NYXL's. Strongest strings ever made, great tone, playability and tuning. Perfect for the heavy hitter.

http://www.nyxlstory.com/

13. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

:yesway::yesway:

14. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

The OP said it's a PRS wraparound so our various suggestions about saddles don't exactly apply. For us heavy handed guys the wound strings (A and D in particular for me) are often the ones that break, the inner core is quite thin. Iron Broadsword, I do suggest closely inspecting your bridge for any sharp edges, burrs, notches, etc. If you find anything sharp, polish with steel wool (I much prefer synthetic steel wool - much less messy) or very fine sand paper. Hope that helps...

15. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Well-Known Member

Cleartones maybe?
    http://www.cleartonestrings.com/product/heavy-series-nps-electric-strings/

16. iron broadsword

OH MY GOSH. Yes!

17. iron broadsword

Thanks man, will do.

18. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

wrap tail bridge,saddles,etc.,same concept-look for burrs,grooves, & pinch points where the strings rest.:yesway: