Give me a reason not to sell all of my Marshalls and buy an SC20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Cossack, Mar 20, 2021.

1. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I've got big iron 2203. No comparison.

I love the 20 watt 2203 especially with the Lynch Mod. Fucking rediculous Marshall tones.

Exidor likes this.
  2. Exidor

Exidor Member

I’ll probably end up ordering another Lynch Mod too. :rolleyes:

3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

Sold all mine and just have a SV.

4. Milleniumking

Milleniumking New Member

I am actually considering a trade for the mini JCM 800 as well. I have a JCM 900 SLX 2100 and an EVH 5150 6L6 50w. I love the tone of the SLX that I am unsure of trading because Im thinking it will cover the same territory as the 800. Sorry, dont mean to hijack any threads here. Im planning on trading the EVH for the SC20 JCM800

5. Exidor

Exidor Member

I used to have an SLX-2100 and liked it just fine. Has more gain on board than a JCM 800, but in my opinion, the 800’s tone was superior clean or dirty. The SLX was more saturated but also more thin sounding than the 800. I also hated the effects loop and extra noise my SLX had. I did like the independent master volumes for leads though! If the SC20’s effects loop works well and the tone is similar to a 2203 at lower volumes, then I would go that route, but I already have a 2203 also.

6. AlboK

AlboK Active Member

No one has mentioned how loud the SC20h is. So what's the point of getting it? It's Doesn't punch you in the gut like the big ones. Just because it says JCM800 doesn't mean it really is. Id never sell my DSL 50. Your trading in an amp the has a fantasic clean channel, crunch/High Gain/really high gain, for a one channel amp. Doesn't have anywhere the gain level of a DSL. In fact it doesn't have that much gain at all. It has to be cranked to get some of the goods. Did I mention how loud it is? Have you seen how many come up for sale on reverb & guitar center even during covid when there is no used inventory? An amp thats less than 2 years old shouldn't be on the used market constantly. Ask yourself why is that? I know some love them but most have never owned an original. If you've owned the original you'll know what i'm talkiing about. Later. Here's an email from Marshall about the differences between the Mini Jub & SC20.
    On Jun 26, 2019, at 7:45 AM, USMC - Marshall Service <[email protected]> wrote:
    Hello,
    The biggest differences are the Mini Jubilee has a little more gain and has the footswitchable channels. Hope that helps out

KEVIN DRURY

7. LargeBoxSmallBox

LargeBoxSmallBox Well-Known Member

Don't sleep on the V-Type speaker, they are great sounding speakers! Only thing I'm not sure of is the 10-inch versions, mine are the 12's, but I really like how they sound.

8. LargeBoxSmallBox

LargeBoxSmallBox Well-Known Member

Grats on that!! Much fun is headed your way!

Exidor likes this.
  9. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Lech-rechaun Gold Supporting Member

There is *ONE* used SC20H on Reverb where the seller is in the Continental US.

pentatonicwanker and Exidor like this.
  10. jazzdj

jazzdj Active Member

I'm always curious with this goofy posts where someone that apparently can't make up their own mind, asks everyone else what to do.

So if we all tell you to step in front of a speeding buss, or jump off a 100 ft cliff with your amp .... can we be sure you''l do it??

11. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

Sell the DSL50 if you can first.

12. wntbtw

wntbtw Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would have the seller include the stock Marshall V-Type speaker & then see if he`ll give you a deal on the Webber Blue speaker. If you ever decide to sell the combo, having the stock speaker will help with getting a good price. Plus it is a great sounding speaker when the amp is cranked up--Marshall chose it for that reason imho.

13. solarburnDSL50

So your post says this guy will Fuck himself cause he asked you either help or enable dumb?

I think this guy needs to rock!

Cossack likes this.
  14. Cossack

Cossack Member

I got the combo last night - but my little daughter was already in bed, so I didn't get it up past 1 on the low power setting. Even so, I liked what I heard. More of that chewyness than I have been able to get from my VM or DSL. Maybe that's just what I wanted to hear, so I'll give it some time. I can't wait to get home and really let it do its thing this weekend!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. You gave me some helpful considerations, considering I wasn't able to go try before buying.

I see your point, but I posted this as a way to dig up information about the sonic overlap between the amps I have and the amp I wanted but have been unable to find and test in-person. It worked - I got some useful thoughts. At the end of the day it's not about finding people to tell me what to do, but rather about making as informed a decision as possible before dropping what, for me, is a fairly substantial chunk of change.

15. solarburnDSL50

16. solarburnDSL50

No. You play with sumptn?Nah it means piss.