Gibson Tal Farlow

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, Oct 24, 2020.

1. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I'm not a jazzer and I own a 90's reissue Gibson Viceroy Burst Tal Farlow guitar.

I bought a wine red pin stripe maple top Tal for my wife soon after.

I'm blown away by the asking prices of these.

My Viceroy Burst has a one piece top and one piece back.

Maybe a cool 401k sell off in the future?

95GibsonWineTalFarlow.jpg
    talback.jpg

2. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Tal was an interesting character. Burst on the scene, quickly became a legend, realized he loved music but not the music industry, went back to painting signs.

It's a testament to his genius that Gibson kept making his signature model long after he disappeared.

Kind of interesting to compare/contrast his signature model to Barney Kessel's signatures. The Kessels seem like they should have been the successes, both on their design and Barney's decades of prominence.

Or compare the Tal model's longevity to the various Howard Roberts Fusion models. A whole generation learned CAGED from Howard's Guitar Player column, but that didn't help the sales of his models.

Of course the Barneys amd Howards command respectable prices nowadays. But the Tal sort of points out the folly of buying a guitar with the hope of it becoming an uber expensive collectable in the future -- you just can't know the weird twists and turns of future markets.

3. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I bought those Tals when they were around $2k each.

Expensive for me.

I'm surprised the cost of a Tal today.