>

Gibson SG head-stock repair value question

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by gunboatstudio, Jul 20, 2012.

1. gunboatstudio

gunboatstudio New Member

My friend bought a Gibson Studio SG. It's one of the 2002 ones with the ebony fretboard and the moon inlays. He thought he was getting a great deal from someone who didn't realize that this fretboard is kind of raising the value to collector's on these models.

He paid $300 plus shipping, and he's happy as a clam because these things go for $500-$600.

So he opens it up. No fret wear. No buckle rash. The thing looks like it's never been played. Except, of course, for the thin hairline repair evidence at the head-stock!

So this Craigslist character has disappeared, of course.

My buddy wants to get rid of this guitar, but be honest about the repair.

So what do you guys think? Is it still worth $300? Any ball-park figures? I have zero experience with head-stock repaired guitars.

Thanks!

2. ^AXE^

^AXE^ Well-Known Member

Are you positive it's a repair?

If all you see is a hairline it's either a first rate repair or just a finish crack.

Australian likes this.
  3. gunboatstudio

gunboatstudio New Member

Hmm... We thought it was a repair. But that's a right smart question! It's a thin crack that goes all the way around. It was a little thick for a "hair-line", I think. I'll get a picture of it.

Thanks!

4. Australian

Australian Green Beret Silver Supporting Member VIP Member

This is true. I've used a strong light and magnifying glass to determine if they were crack in the wood or just surface blemishes.

5. gunboatstudio

gunboatstudio New Member

Cheers, Australian! Here's some pictures he took with his iPhone. One's a bit blurry. I think his iPhone drinks a lot.

6. Australian

Australian Green Beret Silver Supporting Member VIP Member

That does look like a break repair. Thats a common sort of shape of a Gibson headstock break.

But here in Aus he could still get over $800 on Ebay for a guitar like that with a cracked headstock. So Im sure he'll get his money back on resale.

7. gunboatstudio

gunboatstudio New Member

Well that's promising! Thanks!

BTW, I misspoke. It's the Gibson SG Special Faded. I apparently offended my friend when I called it a Studio.

:rolleyes:Those Gibson people...

8. core

core New Member

Definitely a head stock crack. May have been a clean break and just glued back together well or might not go all the way through.

I had a crack on my old 85 Gibson V heel that the repair guy just opened up a tiny bit and let some really thin fast flowing glue set in there and it was solid as a rock after. This might be the case if it didn't make a clean break.

Any rate repairs like this on Vintage instruments usually devalue it by half or even more so, but since this one is no where near vintage I'd say he paid a little too much with the break. If he's happy with it that's all that counts but for a newer model at $300-500 I'd want a clean one myself. Vintage? I could probably live with a broken headstock if it was a REAL good player.

9. ^AXE^

^AXE^ Well-Known Member

Hey! I'm a Gibson people. :lol:

It does appear to be a repair.

A damn nice one from what I can see in the clear picture.

I've repaired a few or more.

When done correctly it will be stronger than original.

I know that sounds cliche, but it's true.

10. gunboatstudio

gunboatstudio New Member

Thanks for the replies, guys!

My friend tells me that he's seen these 2002 Specials with the ebony fretboard and the moon inlays list for $700, I think he said. Which suggests to me that they sell for $500-$600. It's a good model for people to upgrade the hardware and make a real nice player.

So he finds one for $400 and jumps I it. Then he sees another on CL and thinks "I'll grab this too! I'll sell the lesser of the two for what it's really worth. Then it's like I got one for free!"

Then came the headstock repair issue. His head almost exploded. And he just didn't know what it was worth anymore.

I guess nothing is free, in the long run.

11. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Well-Known Member

This is not really a collector's guitar, so don't fret over that.

It's still a good deal! Play the daylights out of it - that's what it's for!

Quasar-Kid likes this.
  12. blackone

blackone Well-Known Member

I bought one off craigslist with an unrepaired crack for $150 and am in the process of converting it into a 3 pickup custom. I would pay at best $350 for a nice faded Sg but it might be different where you are. In la sg standards can be had for $650

13. Dave666

Dave666 Well-Known Member

Well, first of all, how does that guitar play? Does it stay in tune?
    Those are the only 2 questions to be asked.
    If it plays good and stays in tune then he should keep it. If he sells it and buys another one that had no headstock repair, chances are the non repaired guitar could play worse... Just let him think about it...
    It's all in the head!!

14. TKOjams

TKOjams New Member

The rule of thumb is, the break cuts the value of the guitar by half.

15. ^AXE^

^AXE^ Well-Known Member

If Greg Platzer breaks your headstock and fixes it.

The value goes up.

16. gunboatstudio

gunboatstudio New Member

I tried to talk him into keeping it. But, like I said- he bought two at the same time for $300, hoping he could sell one for $600 and get something for free. Apparently the ebony fretboard on this model is sought after. He's a Craigslist trading junkie.

So he set up the other Faded SG- the one with dings, buckle-rash and fret-wear. He's sold on that one, I think. And he's just going to flip this one with the head-stock repair. I'd rather see him give it a good chance first. Tried to talk him into it. But I think he can't get past the stigma.

This SG with the head-stock repair gives me the impression that it suffered some traumatic event and then was never touched. The fretboard appears immaculate. No buckle rash. No pick-marks. It's like someone dropped something on it and put it in a closet for 10 years.

But I'm making him read all the good advice on this post. So thanks for it, and please keep it coming! You guys rock.

17. blackone

blackone Well-Known Member

ow much does he want for the cracked Sg then?

18. gunboatstudio

gunboatstudio New Member

I don't know what he's selling it for yet. He's still trying to figure out what it's worth. That's why I came to you guys!

I have half a mind to buy it myself and become one of those "Gibson people".

19. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Well-Known Member