Gibson Les Paul Studio

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Msharky67, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

I am gassing for one of these and have been watching them for a while. I have a limited budget as always and can't seem to have a chance to even look at one without somebody snagging it up. I don't understand how one year they were $1400, then $799 and now $1300. How can anybody justify paying a fair price when the prices are stagnant. Nobody wants to budge on an offer too. The condition of used ones that I have seen have been horribly taken care of. Scratches dents etc.. It pisses me off that I never saw them when they were $799! What is a fair price for one of these and what would you pay? I honestly think $5-$600 is what they are really worth. Why can't luck be on my side!:wallbash:

2. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

1000-1300 is fair for one of the 90-96 studios because they are made out of custom shop materials(ebony fretboard, one piece body and two piece caps). The rest are only worth around what you stated. Prices have gone nuts lately for some reason, but give it time and you can snag one(or buy one new for around 1500). Also take your time and wait for one undamaged...they tend to brutalize LP's for some reason....I had to wait a couple of months for one to come up....but did eventually get what I wanted/....patience is key.(I wound up paying about 1000 for a 93 studio with ebony fretboard in very good condition from reverb). I cannot stress enough though,,,,,be willing to pass to get the best deal...never be desperate.

3. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

They used to be 450-600ish just a few years back

4. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

550 2 years ago off CL locally, 1998 ,498/490. Found it's calling, Drop tuning into the Trip. The color is a darker wine type shade but when light hits it, shows red. Up close you can see the grain. Just 2 years ago there was quite a few in that 550-750 range when i was searching. By a Kiss Recto LP opto.jpg

5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Dude theres like 8 of them in the $800 range on Guitar Center right now, pick one and buy it, you got 45 days to return it if its not what you expected. Then theres like 8 of them on Reverb in the same price range. Come on bud wake up and get busy! :shrug:

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  6. Msharky67

The pictures are dark and no detail. I am sure they are scratched up. GC won't budge on the price I am sure. I have seen those.

7. Msharky67

Very nice. I want one with trapazoid inlays and burstbuckers and if so kidney shaped tuners but if not OK. I don't like the open pickups. Something different than the 498's. Have one in my Epi LP.

8. Msharky67

I have looked on GC,Reverb,Ebay and FB as well. I know what is out there. I wish some of the local small shops would have one. One store had one but I missed it of course. I know I am kind of desperate but this has been a rough year and my nerves are on edge. I am just so over this. You could say the same story if it were a Ford Mustang or something. Of course if I asked Gibson to make me a new one for $799 are they going to do it NO!

tce63 likes this.
  9. pedecamp

The price is the price at GC but you can call each individual shop and ask if they'll take $100 off, you say you have $600 put that on it and do payment plan for the rest, youll never find yesterday's prices everything has gone up, dont let a couple hundred bucks make or break your deal or youll end up with nothing. Call the store and have them scrutinize for any flaws for you before you buy, you have 45 days to return it any way if you dont like it! :yesway:

Ray Baker, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

The only used guitar I have purchased in the last 3 years was my 2011 arctic white LP Studio.
    GC online $ 800.00 with a case.
    One my favorite axes.
    Cheers

11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I think I’d recommend you find a way to buy it, like lay away or finance part of it if possible. I don’t think they’re gonna go down in price in the near future.

Did you ever notice that everyone that owns a Studio, loves their Studio? That’s what I’ve heard every time I talk to a Gibson Studio owner, they all love their Studios.

Soooo, I think if you wait, you’ll pay more.

MatFnEhUK, Headache, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  12. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I had an 08 white one with ebony board. Had to sell it due to a hard time. My most missed axe that I let go.

scozz, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Mic drop.lol ( it has been souped up though )
    upload_2020-11-16_22-59-34.jpeg

MatFnEhUK, scozz, RCM 800 and 2 others like this.
  14. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Studio LP’s are just now going up ,, because we all love, and cherish them !!
    Cheers

tce63 likes this.
  15. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

With your $799 price, I think you are getting confused. That may have been a Studio "Tribute" model.

tce63 likes this.
  16. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

I payed $1199 for a new black studio from GC in 2001. They are now $1499, up $300 in 19 years.

17. pedecamp

@Msharky67 whip out your $600 bucks and tell the wife the other $300 you need is your Christmas present this year, whats better than to get a wine red LP Studio for Christmas! :yesway:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  18. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

19. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

As long as some of us are posting pics of our Studios,

I’ll play!

My 2006 Studio PP,.....
    (sorry for the large pic),...
    [​IMG]

20. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Glowin' Ember Silver Supporting Member

Call the GC store where the guitar is located when the pics suck. I bought my Firebird after I called and they emailed me like a dozen pics of every little detail that I asked about.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.