Gibson ES-175's: Has the Jazz genre/market pretty much dried up?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Vinsanitizer, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Last I knew, Gibson was no longer making ES-175's which would typically indicate that there's no market for them.

DaDoc and Stratofly59 like this.
  2. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

It's related to their shutting down the Memphis factory and moving all electric guitar production to Nashville. All the electric hollowbodies were made in Memphis.

Jazzboxes haven't been big sellers since the '50s, so setting up new production of them in Nashville wasn't high priority. Especially with the new management wanting to revamp and streamline the big sellers.

ES175 may return eventually. But might come from the Montana acoustic factory since the construction is more akin to acoustics than solidbodies.

But yeah, jazz isn't a big market. And with strong competition from D'angelico, Eastman, Loar it's possible that they won't return to production line jazzboxes, with just occasional small runs coming from the Custom Shop.

BenjaminW, Vinsanitizer and DaDoc like this.
  3. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

More accurately put, Gibson is not presently making them. True it has been one of their longest running models. But not presently made does not mean it won't ever be made again. For example, Flying V's have not been made every year. I'm not the least bit surprised that they are not making (regular production) ES-175s now. Yes, I believe the market is declining a little for for them, but no market is way too far fetched. There are countless numbers of them out there. And recently was somewhat of a glut of new ones that were sold off in the great CME Memphis warehouse blowout sale. No market would be no and/or cheap sales on the used market. Not so.
    So I think the market for ES-175s is alive and well, all considered.

Vinsanitizer and DaDoc like this.
  4. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Too bad, they're excellent guitars. I love my '68..Probably the most comfortable and easy-playing neck of my three Gibsons. Definitely not a rock guitar, too prone to feedback, more suited to clean stuff (like Jazz) or anything else that calls for a clean tone.

But having said that, with distortion or fuzz through a small combo amp(s) it sounds fantastic! Very unique distorted tone, probably due to the lower-powered humbuckers..And don't forget Steve Howe and his 175!

5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I used to own this first row 2nd on left.......................

9 F Hole Gibsons.jpg

El Gringo and DaDoc like this.
  6. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Jazz is dead? Finally...some GOOD news in 2020 for a change

RCM 800 and LPMarshall hack like this.
  7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

How can that be GOOD news? Jazz may not be for everybody but if you're stuck in a 12 bar rut and want to expand your horizons, learning some jazz theory will certainly help you to get out of that rut and be more creative. Jazz is AWESOME. Don't close your mind to a more complex form of music.

Listen to Bill Evans. Listen to Cannonball Adderly. And more. If you can't find something groovy and wonderful in their music, something's missing from the musical part of your soul.

I think that enough ES-175s have been made that there's probably one for almost everybody who wants one. And Gibson will always do limited runs of them in the future, and they will sell.

8. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

They are groovy guitars, really good for some dirty Chicago blues too. I have this 20170827_101236.jpg

9. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Well-Known Member

Like @RLW59 typed, I think it's more a function of Gibson moving the factory, not to mention COVID. I'm pretty certain you can still order one, along with others like L-5s.

Contrary to what others may believe, Jazz will never die, THANKFULLY!

Not a 175, but with apologies, my "Wes Montgomery" L-5:

[​IMG]

Maggot Brain, Wildeman and El Gringo like this.
  10. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Frank Zappa said, "Jazz isn't dead... it just smells funny."

Jazz says,
    1141_116941335740.jpg

(His grave is unmarked -- the site I lifted the pic from labeled Mr. Ayres' grave so that fans can find Frank's.)

Mitchell Pearrow and Wildeman like this.
  11. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Darn right and to add the Crusaders featuring Mr.335 Larry Carlton . When i was a young whipper snapper and working at my local grocery store in high school a fella a few years older turned me on to the Crusaders and he knew i was into guitar oriented Rock and Roll and i liked it ! Good Stuff !

12. Midnight Blues

That's how I got into Larry, when he was with the Crusaders. GREAT band!

My wife and I were fortunate enough to meet him several years ago after a show he did in Buffalo. What a GREAT guy he is too!

Sorry Vin...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and El Gringo like this.
  13. Midnight Blues

How can you not like players like Wes Montgomery and Kenny Burrell (just two examples)?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, who could like some of this:thumb:

Midnight Blues likes this.
  15. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

16. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Member

patmetheny.jpg One of my favorites.

17. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

They are far from my number 1 with rock being my mainstream. But I just had to have one. Well, two due to opportunities.
    Before the late great CME Gibson Memphis blowout, when the ES models were a too pricey for me, I discovered from the Jazz forums that the EPI ES-175 Premium was a great bang for the buck. Armed with Gibson Classic '57 pups, it can hold its own against the basic Gibson versions. Got a great deal on one, and was fat and happy having a nice ES-175.

[​IMG]

Then came the CME Blowout. Already gorged on some stunning ES buys, at the very end "we" turned up this ES-175 hiding in the warehouse. One of 50 (supposedly) 2015 reissue '54 ES-175D Dark Burst. Stupid cheap, I couldn't pass it up. It is one amazing guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Midnight Blues likes this.
  18. Midnight Blues

Exactly!

I love Grant and Barney too!

19. Midnight Blues

20. Greg70

Greg70 New Member

Good point about the factory shutting down. I did the Gibson Memphis factory tour in March of 2018. All that I saw was a bunch of 335's in various stages of construction. I'm not very well versed in hollow bodies so it's possible there was some other stuff going on. It's also possible that they switch to other models at different times of the year. It was a very interesting tour and well worth the nominal ticket price.