Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul question

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by chromeboy, Apr 19, 2021.

1. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

Hey guys just wondering, do you prefer the stock Gibson or Epiphone pickups or do you swap them out and if so what do you swap them out for? I'm talking about guys who play mostly heavy or melodic metal. Also would you swap out the stock pups on an expensive gibson lp?

2. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

There will be those that know more on this than me. When you say 'heavy metal,' do you mean the classic stuff like Maiden, or modern?

I go as heavy as Smashing Pumpkins, mid 90's material.
    I'm perfectly happy with the stock pick ups on my Les Paul Studio.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I swapped out the stock pick ups for Seymour Duncan p/u's in these:

1982gibsonalpinewhitelespaulcustom.jpg
    1982gibsonblacklespaulcustom.jpg
    1986gibsonlpstandard.jpg

4. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

I just started playing some SOAD recently and the 498T bridge in my LP Studio does the job. No plans to change it. :D

5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Those are toneful.

I swapped them out many years ago.

Today, I would have kept those guitars stock.

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I'm a 490/498 fan.

7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Why do you ask?

Old Punker likes this.
  8. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

I used to immediately swap pickups out of my guitars when I would first get them. Years later I have learned to not dismiss the stock pickups so quickly. Spend some time with them, and ADJUST them. Small height adjustments can do wonders. Don’t be afraid to adjust the pole pieces on humbuckers either - it really does make a big difference. I wish I would have learned that much sooner, I took out a lot of pickups that I probably could have kept had I been patient and adjusted them properly. If you have exhausted your adjustment options then consider new pickups at that time.

9. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer >>> Fridgerator <<< Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

My opinion is just an opinion: I factor a guitar's sound in with the purchase, number 1 priority. Otherwise, for Les Pauls you can't go wrong with a 57C and a 57C+.

10. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

Never changed a pickup in my Les Pauls (or other Gibsons). When I have purchased the fund of the guitar has been a factor.

My 94 Standard has 490R and 498T stock and Ive always found them great for metal. Would not even think about swapping them out.

My guitars with 57C, great sound, but never worked for me for metal.

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Is vanilla your favorite ice cream flavor? :cool: Nah, I admit to a love/hate thing with 57s. I have a set in my SG. I guess I want more punch, for lack of a better term, from a Les Paul.
    57s do the job for sure. For some reason beyond my ken I love the sound of P90s these days in my Lesters.

12. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

You can get Epiphone Les Pauls with Gibson pickups for the same price as Epiphone Les Pauls with Epiphone pickups. Look for Epiphone with Gibson pickups. It's easy. Loads of modern Epiphones have them.

All an Epiphone needs is a luthier to check her out and maybe set some frets and with a little love you will have a guitar every bit as good as a Gibson.

13. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer >>> Fridgerator <<< Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Jeez Biddlin, you got that right. Vanilla as vanilla gets, I was just trying to play it safe.

Biddlin likes this.
  14. southbound suarez

southbound suarez Active Member

Ya know, I have been really finding much appreciation for P90's and soapbar pups..... I cringe to think of all those vintage LP Jr's that had been butchered for humbuckers. Not to mention probably many Gold tops too.
    I have a Goldie that was probably rerouted from those deluxe pups. I can't help but wonder if those sound anything like the Firebird pickups a-la Johnny Winter???
    In my Gold Top I have one of those Seymour Duncan "Antiquity" aged PAF's in the bridge position. I haven't seen too many of these and most of the ones I have seen are the single coils for Teles.
    I really like my PAF Antiquity alot!
    It is wired up with 500k Modern CTS pots and some very old and orig Black Beauties that are printed as being .22mF but who knows what they actually may measure out to after all these years? Regardless I enjoy the tone and it just works great for me... I mostly plug straight into all my amps and run them for power tube saturation and even order harmonic goodness. I think if I recall this pup comes in at 65k and is pretty clear and articulate thru out the volume pot range. I like alot of touch sensitivity and mostly into blue and classic British invasion rock like Les Zep think of the holy trinity Beck Page Clapton blues rock... However I can roll down the treble and it can get nice and thick dark like sabbath too.
    Probably not too hip with the Metal many of you younger kids .......
    Not sure how true to a real vintage PAF this Antiquity is ,,, maybe it's also psychological but over the five or more years it does seem to have seasoned too.
    So much more toneful than so many of the 498 and big improvement than the ttops I used during the 80's .
    Seymour sure got this one right!
    I think I got it for under a buck n a quarter too!

15. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Yes, I rip them out as soon as I get another Gibson Custom R9 or R8 . I use ThroBak MXV-SLE-101 Plus with A5 magnets . www.throbak.com

16. RobV

RobV Member

I am planning on it, want to do 50's wiring & get rid of the circuit board electronics.

17. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

:applause:

Biddlin likes this.
  18. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Sweetwater has some epi lp exclusives. Awaiting mine with ginson pups. Cherry top. Cant wait
    I do love my sg with 490498s

BatmansMarshall likes this.
  19. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

When I had an Epi LP Custom, I replaced the probuckers with Mojotone Hot Classics and did a 50’s wiring harness... the ProBuckers didnt do it for me, it has this mid “quack” that I did not like

Gibson LP 50’s Tribute has DiMarzio PAF Masters....LP Classic currently has Duncan Alnico II Pros.... the stock 498T on the Tribute was too hot and middy...the stock 61 bridge on the Classic wasnt loud enough for my liking...

I tried Suhr Thornbuckers - very vintagey tone, but i find the overall output/loudness a little too subdued.... even the Dimarzio PAF Masters with low 7.6kohm “outmuscles” the Thornbuckers in the loudness department ...

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Well in a couple of my epiphone LP’s I dropped SD JB’s in the bridge position, all my Gibsons are still with their stock pick ups, dirty fingers, in the V , 490’s in the tribute, and Studio, and faded SG, the Traditional’s have the burstbucker’s , and I think they all will do Metal !!
    Cheers
    Mitch

Biddlin and Sustainium like this.