>

Gibson Does Not Evolve

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, Jul 25, 2021.

1. EJstrat&JVM

EJstrat&JVM Active Member

2. Lespaul48

Lespaul48 Member

Great reference...and I have both.

Deftone likes this.
  3. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I will tell you what gets my going in a negative way about this thread . To all the whiners and complainers that all they come up with to bash Gibson is the Robot tuners and brass zero fret and they are so EXPENSIVE . Real innovative thinking and thinking outside the box in those bashes right ? This crap was born out of wacked out of his mind former CEO Henry Jursiwicz (who was shown the door with a swift kick to his bottom ) Now the company is under JC Curleigh formerly of Levi Strauss and Co . They have returned to the core foundation of building the best guitars out there . Yes they cost plenty , but since when was anyone giving away anything for cheap or free of good quality ? Answer never . Oh you are dead right that the recreational players ( me too ) are the core buyers of Gibson in addition to the touring artists filling arenas and stadiums . It has been tried countless times by many but never duplicated in hitting that sweet spot in tone only like a real Gibson Les Paul can.

Mystic38 and fitz288 like this.
  4. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

I had those robo-tuners on my Firebird HP.
    (fs/t in the classifieds)
    They kinda worked...
    Got real close, but still needed fine tuning.
    Replaced with a set of Steinberger machines - best tuners I've ever used.
    I do like the height adjustable SS zero fret nut, it stayed.

Kinkless Tetrode and SSIG like this.
  5. SSIG

SSIG New Member

I remember the robo tuners, but had no idea about the adjustable nut until you mentioned it, and then googled it.
    Looks like a great idea! And made entirely from titanium? Sign me and my next 7 paychecks up.

So here's a question to everyone here. For those of you who wish Gibson was more innovative with their guitars, what is it that you want from them? Or another way to put it, is what is it that their competition does that they don't?
    And to those who love their Gibby's what is it that you love about them?

MojoWorking and fitz288 like this.
  6. El Gringo

Cool , I have a Cardinal Red Firebird with the Steinberger tuners and they work wonders and stay in tune very well .

7. Planetjimi

Planetjimi New Member

Nobody wants a new design with the Gibson name on it. That's why they bought Kramer and probably others i don't know about.

8. plexisruleearth

plexisruleearth New Member

there is an old saying that still rings as true now as it ever has "if it aint broke,dont fix it" if people buy reissues,they will continue to make them as they always have.when gibson tries new shit,they tend to fail and it ends up being run over by a backhoe and buried in a landfill.if i could suggest something to them: REISSUE YOUR AMPS,THEY WERE AWESOME!!

9. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Man that Epi doubleneck. Worst high fret access ever. I had to finally ditch mine. No thought given to how a hand fits in that area on bottom neck at all. Interestingly, exactly the same as the $7000 CDN Gibson version.
    I got a BC Rich Rich Bich doubleneck instead. Funky critter but excellent high fret access.
    Seems that part of the design could change a little to make it half assed comfortable to me.
    Now there is where Gibson could evlove a bit and not do things exactly as they were back when.

10. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Gibson has owned Kramer for a while now. I've owned several, and a couple of them were actually really nice. My understanding is that they're even better now.

11. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

From memory - I've read it somewhere I'm not that old - a 59 Les Paul in 1959 was $247. According to google today that equates to $2181. Gibson could make a guitar that plays feels looks and sounds like a genuine 59 and sell it for $2181 they'd sell every guitar they could make as fast as they hit the shops for the rest of eternity.

By comparison most new manufactured things you buy these days are relatively way way cheaper - OK they might be made somewhere the workers get paid $10 a week but even allowing for US wages....

As another comparison when I was a teenager and used to hang around the local guitar shop annoying the staff a Marshall half stack was around £800 which was an impossible amount of money in the early 70s. Now you can buy a decent half stack for not a huge amount more than that. Still made in the UK which has had roughly the same growth/inflation rate as the US over the years.

So where's my $2000 59 killer? I don't want Gibson to innovate - I want the new stuff to be as good as the old stuff. Shouldn't be that hard.

Sapient and Jethro Rocker like this.
  12. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

"Nobody wants a new design with the Gibson name on it."

That's just it. I think most Gibson lovers feel exactly that way.

Gibson HAS had some success with "new" designs, but none of them ever became as iconic as their classics.

Nighthawk or Blueshawk, anyone? Cool guitars but very "niche". When's the last time you saw one for sale?

The best "new" design to come out of gibson was the ES-336, in my opinion. But that's essentially a 335 with the body scaled down into the size range of a Les Paul. Semi-solid construction. It's just a variation on a theme. And they're quite nice guitars.

But again, when's the last time you saw one for sale?

The way I see it, Gibson doesn't have to invest in new models to keep going. They just need to keep on making the classics we know and love, priced to be affordable to the guy who draws a paycheck and not a salary. Sure, of course they should offer premium tier products for those who are willing to pay more for something even nicer. But they just need to focus on their core product line and try to put a Les Paul in the hands of everbody who wants one. A Les Paul that sounds great and has perfect setup and an impeccable finish right out of the case.

Kinkless Tetrode, ITburst and neikeel like this.
  13. Jethro Rocker

I guess part of the problem is recreating old materials we no longer use to make it authentic? Still, I can't imagine that equates to like $4000 somehow. Maybe a few hundred.

14. Jethro Rocker

Currently they don't have a whole pile of extra weirdo guitars in the lineup. The Modern Series with the Axcess neck is a super idea and I love mine. Still a Les Paul. That makes sense to me. Some of those strange ones of past, well, nice try right?

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  15. El Gringo

That's it in a nutshell . The cost of raw materials is rising and then factor in materials that are no longer available and you get what you have today .

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  16. Jethro Rocker

In fact, what is the huge difference between a 59 reissue and a LP Standard? You use hand wiring and if it's good maple on top I don't think the switch tip has to be some old crazy chemical composition, not like it will change the sound of the thing. PAF pickups, I can't see where it shoild play or sound any different. Different neck types are available on different models now as it is so that part isn't rocket science.

17. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

Well.. I have had two 2012 Les Paul standard.. One (avatar) i bought new at >$3000 after needing to sell my Harley to help my sister out (after all, I had to get something out of that deal lol).. The other i picked up a couple of years later. Theoretically identical, they never sounded the same, felt the same or played the same, even with identical strings and setups.. that last one got sold.

For me, I think there is a lot in the details that we think shouldn't/wouldn't matter.. but it does

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  18. bluesguy62

bluesguy62 New Member

+1 on those robo-tuners

19. John Stedman

John Stedman Active Member

They've evolved occasionally. Luckily, most of those mutations didn't survive into the next generation. I hope the days of wasting man power and good wood on goofy designs is over. My forehead is still sore from the slap I gave it on first sight of the Reverse Flying V.

20. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

The same could be said for Harley-Davidson.
    They have specific engine parts that span across more than 28 years.
    I guess it comes down to what sells, and what the masses want.
    A lot of people are afraid of change, or they want what they are familiar with.

Sapient likes this.