>

Gibson Does Not Evolve

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I know that Gibson has already made the instruments I describe, but some of them were available for only a limited time. I'd like for those models at specific trim levels to be available at all times, even if they have to be made to order. Make them to meet demand, don't keep a lot of money tied up in inventory.

2. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Why should Gibson evolve? If it aint broke then don't fix it!

LPMarshall hack and El Gringo like this.
  3. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh, I know - I just never understood it myself, or got the sense that it was done by more than a relatively small minority. When you said electronics, I assumed pots, switch and jack too. I wonder if Gibson sold new husks if there would be a market for them. Just add electronics and tuners :hmm:

4. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

A Sunburst Gibson Les Paul and if you ever are in need of a hockey stick just flip this one around and have at it . I have seen this before , just not on a sunburst .

5. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

Gibson should have an equivalent to the "player series" under the Gibson brand.

Fender player series are cheap, well made, with modern USEFUL takes (like the bridge).

If they could do a "modern take" on the LP with small things like: smaller headstock angle, modern neck profile (60s is great), a maple top (it can be flat), nice hardware (tonepros...), wellmade made overseas, priced around 1500usd they would KILL all of the LP copy market (IMHO dominated by LTD EC-1000s and E-IIs).

you may complain about being made overseas, but that's the only way they could compete, and btw it has to be BRANDED GIBSON. They can make the best epiphone of their lives, people will call it Epiphone and it will never be a Gibson.

"but wait... it will dilute the brand value". Ask the same question to FMIC and guess who is cashflow positive?

6. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

El Gringo and Dogs of Doom like this.
  7. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

I think Gibson is doing pretty good right now, considering the times. Most people buying Gibson are buying the sound of decades of music history played on the brand, so they have their mainstream series for that, and it makes sense for them to stay the same.

Then there's people that don't care for tradition, for example they prefer the wider necks of the modern Les Paul, etc, so they have the modern series for them.

Gibson's biggest problem seems to be the same most other good brands are having today, the availability and cost of good quality woods. The biggest competitor of today's guitars are those made 20 years ago..

Another thing is the pricing. I understand Gibsons being expensive, they are set neck guitars, no scarf joint etc, but still, once you move over two grand for a solid body most people (certainly most musicians) are going to lose interest..

8. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

a fickle audience...

9. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Gibson guitars, if it is a good one I will consider buying it (and my 2000 VSB ES-335 and 2013 Burst LPR-0 are testaments to this) if it is not I will not, simple.

In terms of innovation - they do try but the robot tuners, brass zero fret were a turn off for me but things like compound radius, asymmetric necks and relieved cut aways were excellent ideas, IMO, and should have been continued and offered as subtle improvements on the more traditional lines. But then I could not carry off a V or Explorer, a Firebird at a push.

The pricing is what I struggle with and have bought really high quality custom local luthier made instruments at prices half of the custom shop equivalents. Gibson go for 'what the market will bear' strategy and if you go to some of the guitar fora people will have collections of dozens of Historic Les Pauls or buy a new PRS every year or so. I also struggle to see what justifies the big prices for some of the Custom Shop strats and teles where the wood quality is less evident.

Having said that four of my guitars were made locally by local luthiers (three by an ex-Gibson employee and one a Gibson SG copy with >200 year old mahogany that most people struggle to access.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  10. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

:photos:

Jethro Rocker and fitz288 like this.
  11. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

Well, that's basically what GibsonUSA became , IMO

What I didn't like was that they started to "cheap out" with faded /satin finishes , baked maple fretboards ,cheap slug pole "p90s". That's why I say the late 80s thru the 90s were some real good quality axes ,if you're lucky enough to track 'em down

Old timers ( I was in my mid 20s then ) remember a real boost in energy/ quality /selection in the late 80's when the Norlin era ended and the Henry era satrted ......but stuff was pretty affordable then too . Most of us had never really heard of the Custom Shop ,or thought it was for British rock stars

12. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

I recently acquired a 2020 Gibson 50's LP Standard "Unburst" dealer select top from Wildwood I am very impressed with the fit finish and quality, I am happy that Gibson decided to unevolve many of the features and gimmicks that they have offered over the past 20 years and gone back to the design specs that made them one of the greatest electric guitar companies. I am a total Strat guy but I finally got a nice LP.

El Gringo and Dogs of Doom like this.
  13. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

It's a lot easier to slap together a Fender than build a set neck guitar. I roll my own with Fenders, not an option with a Gibson. I've got 2 Historics, a US made Custom and an Epi doubleneck. There is a noticeable difference from the Historics and the standard Gibson. There is a world of difference between the US Gibson and the Epi. The right Mexican Fender feels the same as a Custom Shop Fender to me.

neikeel likes this.
  14. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

IMHO the player series is not cheaping out. it is a ¨full fledged¨ strat, well built but ¨cheap¨. I was thinking about to a std, but built overseas costing 1.5k(orville, greco, tokai feelings here). It´s not about selling fadeds, studios, and that crappy ass cheap gibsons. it has to be a ¨standard¨ made overseas between the epiphone range and the standard usa range.

That´s the beauty of CNC manufacturing, just to give some examples of GREAT CHEAP instruments in the price range I was tanking: ESP, LTD, Prestige, PRS SE.

It´s 100% doable and 70% of the people would buy 1 or 2. companies needs mass production to keep profitable. we love to hate the Cayenne, but it saved our 911s. Gibson needs desperately its own cayenne.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  15. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Sorry not a car guy at all so I don't get the reference but Gibson has Epi for that market. Just checked, there are Gibson Les Pauls out there priced at $899 new with an instant $99 rebate. That's cheap enough. I'm ok with a good instrument costing more than a good meal out.

El Gringo likes this.
  16. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Maybe that's a foolish way of saying/thinking by you.

You poke fun at me because I talk about what used to be and what I paid for an original.

You are just what these companies want..............someone to buy a recreation/reissue.

OK, I'll be your fool in your condescending mind.

My 1962 Gibson SG/LP Junior that I bought over 30 years ago for less than $350.00................

1962gibsonsglpjunior.jpg

Gibson re-issued the SG Junior.................

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sg-junior-electric-guitar/l76077?pdpSearchTerm=gibson sg junior&tNtt=gibson sg junior&tAt=item&tAv=Gibson SG Junior Electric Guitar

Why are you jousting with me?

17. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

jousting was not my intension.
    thread title is "Gibson Does Not Evolve".
    And you ended OP with the query:
    I honestly thought for a moment that this thread had the possibility to generate some interesting discussion of future possibilities.
    When I asked for what you thought would be features and styling that you would like to see, I was actually hoping to generate some sort of positive response.
    But with equal honesty, I should have expected a defensive recoil reaction.
    I tire of your negativity.

You are probably completely correct in your statement:
    I would speculate the recreational players like myself have helped the industry to a far greater monetary extent than the professional and weekend performers.
    The armatures, and the professional musicians, have a symbiosis.
    One without the other would be a detriment to both.

El Gringo and GregM like this.
  18. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

As I've posted before..................:funny:

19. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

:wub2::wub::wub2:

20. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

I think the title of this thread is kinda funny ...it's like asking when they are going to update the historic district of town. :scratch:

lespaul339 and purpleplexi like this.